Many Still Can't Download Windows 8.1 from Windows Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I own a retail "full" license to 8.1 Pro and a license that was upgraded from 8 w/media center.

Now if only they would think "customer first" and allow those who updated from 8 to 8.1 get an ISO of Windows 8.1. If you ever have a catastrophic failure you must reinstall 8 then download the 3.5GB "patch" and install 8.1 over what you just installed. Yes, it is like installing an OS twice just to get one working copy.

/splat on that nonsense

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Why this was released as a whole new OS and not just a service pack, Ill never know. I have been a major advocate of Windows 8, and I love 99% of the changes of Windows 8.1, I don't like the way it has been done. All the OEMs are taking their dear sweet time releasing 8.1 drivers (not all Microsoft's fault, but Microsoft could have more than certainly pushed them into it) and it is a major issue. My Sabertooth build is having some major issues where it blue screens when it trys to enter a power saving mode. It might be the video card (I am using the 8.1 CCC from AMD which is officially a beta driver) but still... We need better than this. Maybe there is a lot more changes under the hood than I realize, but honestly I don't see it. Oh well, Ill live on.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
@soldier44

Pretty much the same for me. Short of Microsoft coming out with DX12 that has some revolutionary changes with 8 or a newer OS. Windows 7 is the new Windows XP as far as I'm concerned.

SlitelyOff

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Been getting random NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE BSOD's since 8.1. For some reason they initially occurred about every couple hours, drove me to the point of almost going back to W7. However, lately, they have only been every week or two...still way too many times, for sure.

What I hate about 8.1 is that they eliminated many of the shortcuts that I used to use (right click on an SSID to get to status, etc.) that I used to use all the time and have made it more difficult. I am not 100% sure that the 8.1 is a fundamental update to 8, they simply added/removed different little things, from I can tell, that give it a slightly different appearance and a few things actually work differently than in W8 (running Pro of both, btw)

I am also a little confused why several of my drivers no longer work from 8 to 8.1 and I can't find updated ones for 8.1 on several devices. Also, for some reason 8.1 broke my ability to connect to certain SSID's that were working just fine in 8 and a driver update did not fix the issue.

I guess that I am either missing something OR 8.1 is not the panacea of updates that it was made out to be.

hpolk

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
It's exactly the same thing Balmer did when Windows Vista failed badly. He made a ton's of money from the case and instead of releasing service pack to Vista he made Windows 7 and resell this 'new' OS once more to all stupid people, like me. Well, I just stopped using Windows since.....Windows 7 will be the last good Windows as we know ....

8.1 is a change, a change to quite a few things so drivers are not always going to work from 8 to 8.1. You need to go to the manufacture but if they don't provide drivers, there is nothing Microsoft can do really.

XP is meh. It was good. It hasn't been for quite a while. & is still a good OS. Nothing bad staying with it. But 8/8.1 has a lot of great improvements that 7 will never see.

And at some point 7 will become the next XP, such as native GPT support (you cannot boot to a GPT partition in 7, requires if you want a single partition larger than 2TB).

I think you forgot the 2 service packs that came out for Vista and the platform update that pulled a lot of the new features from 7 and integrated them into Vista.

Vista got plenty of love. 7 was just still better.

And people said the same thing about XP being the last good Windows, and 2000/98. And DOS. Its a vicious cycle where people act like in the future Windows will be horrible and fail and yadda yadda yadda.

8 is a great OS. Good improvements to the desktop UI and good improvements under the hood, which is what a OS needs.

Most people are taking one feature and solely focusing on that as if that's all you ever see or use in the OS and therefore it is BAD.

Really wish people would get off the whole Metro thing.

vipervoid1

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Actually ~
There are a site named : AskVg ~
U will need to update your OS with a Windows Update before u can see it in windows store ~
This is the article :http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-upgrade-to-windows-8-1-from-windows-8/

troutmask

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
"Softpedia is trolling" -- it sure is. And Tom's is no better by regurgitating it.

You could do the same thing with Windows 7 right now. Look around for people with problems, post an article about it, imply the issues are widespread and catastrophic, and sit back and wait for the clicks.

In my opinion windows 8.1 is worse than windows 8, it has many more driver issues and has many pointless small annoying changes than Windows 8.0. I recommend giving Windows 8.1 a bigger miss than Windows 8.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Microsoft seems to hate making Windows available for download ever. You should be able to easily and freely download 8.1, 8, 7, and just pay for the license.

The reason why Microsoft doesn't do this is fairly obvious. There are actually people out there that go and buy a new PC or laptop because a hard drive fails and they don't have an installation DVD.

There are of course ways around this obstacle, but many people seem to shy away from these more shady methods even though they have a completely legal product key printed on a sticker stuck to their computer.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Ive had Windows 8 from day one and have defended many aspects of it. Under the hood Windows 8 is great but this whole time the [hood] has been the issue.

I was one of the people who had a hard time upgrading to 8.1 it just wouldnt show. Finally it upgraded and somehow it broke everything WinRT related. Type one letter in the Store app Search and it crashed and no Apps work correctly.

Faced with the option of fully reinstalling 8 and downloading 8.1 to then install the 8.1 update or just reinstalling Win 7 Ultimate. I went back to Win 7.

It was fun, but all in all 7 stands up better. Heres to hoping MS starts listening to its client base or a real "Open Hardware" OS competitor pops up sometime soon.

A pipe dream no doubt.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Bought a new HP laptop last week with 8 installed.
Downloaded updates for 3 hours, Windows store didn't work, after another 4 hours of a god awful interface and resting my windows password then my account still failing in the windows store gave up and installed Ubuntu.
I'm not going to lie, it wasn't easy at first but it definitely felt more like Windows 7 then Win8 did. Some things like networking and installing my wireless printer were incredibly easy, some things like updating my graphics drivers were time consuming due to the number of libraries I had to download first.
It sure isn't perfect, WINE has qwirks, but I STILL prefer it to Windows 8.
Sorry, hate me if you must, but Microsoft lost me and did this to themselves.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

As much as I would like this to be true, I have to call BS.

No one is switching to Linux if they initially wanted to transition from Windows 8 to 8.1. No one would want 8.1 and prefer Ubuntu over 8. It just doesn't make any sense. If you preferred Ubuntu over 8, you wouldn't want 8.1.

stephenpate

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Don't be simple. This is an update. Like all updates you have to be current with past updates. Bring the computer up-to-date and Windows 8.1 wil install. Another case of Softpedia trolling for "big headline problems with little substance."

eza

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Why would I want to upgrade to 8.1 when they removed all the things that I use 8 for?
People app, gone. Messaging app, gone. Photos app doesn't show Flickr photos any more.
Oh and a start button on the desktop, why? I've had a 'start button' on my keyboard for over a decade now and am perfectly capable of pressing it.

For me 8.1 is a step backwards.

I started off really liking Windows 8, the touch interface is great. But the apps are so lacking. So basic. Why do I have mobile phone apps on my desktop?!?!
It's a strange state of affairs when the mail app has less functionality than the hotmail website.

So no thanks, Microsoft, I'm going to keep pressing the "not now" button every time you ask me if I want to upgrade...

But in some good timing, the recently-released Ubuntu 13.10 has fixed a bug with the touchscreen on my laptop, so I'm using that more than Windows recently. Shame they broke the audio output over speakers though...roll on 14.04! :)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Just how many of these affected users are there and has the issue been actually confirmed - or is it just an Apple or Google employee kicking up a stink on the forums to get some bad press? I had tho do updates on both the Metro updates and the desktop updates before it offered to me, has this even been tried?

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Think yourself lucky, I only have an upgrade key for Windows 8 Pro, so I have to install Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 8 then upgrade to 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.