Question MAP Toolkit WMI Failed - Access denied

tr0ubl3mak3r

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
Hi everybody. Sorry if it's in the wrong place, but I still think it needs to be in Networking category.

So... Here's the problem. From time to time, I need to run the MAP toolkit (Microsoft Assesment and Planning toolkit) but whenever I run it, and export the results into the Excel spreadsheet (which is a normal process after running the toolkit), I get the info about only 4 computers - my PC and 3 servers, which is weird, but... I do. For all other computers - the WMI Status column shows either "Failed - Access Denied" (even though I run the program signed in to the computer as a global admin), or "Failed - Machine not found" or "Failed - Connection time out". But what I do care about is that "Access Denied". I run as a global admin, so I have the access to any and all computers, and I can get the results if I run, say, "wmic /user:[user] /password:[password] /node:[computer] get os" in command prompt, so why I can't get the info while running the MAP toolkit? Do I need to set up the WMI or something else on all computers? Why I can get the info about some of the servers in that case? I mean, I understand why I can get the info about my computer - it's because my computer is my computer, and it doesn't need to access itself over the network/whatever. I should also note that currently, I'm on VPN, but when I tried to run it from the office, I still was getting the same results. So, if you have any good ideas, I'll read them, and do whatever I need to do (unless the steps would make it worse) and update you on the results. But for now - I'm open to ideas.

I should also mention that I found on the Internet that I may need to run WMI stuff as a local admin, but if I do it that way - I will not be able to get the results from remote computers, right?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"It's important to note that the MAP Toolkit uses collection protocols to communicate with computers in a network in order to collect information to use in the various assessments. The communication is subject to specific administration and security settings on the target computers and is based upon many things including the operating system, firewall and anti-virus settings as well as the information that you are trying to collect. In this scenario you will gather the user accounts and passwords needed to connect and successfully inventory your environment in advance of running the toolkit."

Source link:

https://www.globalknowledge.com/ca-...sessment-and-planning-map-toolkit-version-9x/

"Discovery" perhaps?

Reference:

https://d12vzecr6ihe4p.cloudfront.n...planning-map-toolkit-version-nine-point-x.pdf

Note physically numbered Page 4.

tr0ubl3mak3r

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
Sorry for a late response, been pretty busy.

So, I use the global admin account to scan for the computers, so I don't really need the other users' accounts and/or passwords, right? So how come it collects them? Is there any better way to resolve it?

Can you tell me more on it? I will google on Discovery, but for now - all I need is the IP, OS version and hardware info. And some other basic info. I don't need users' accounts or passwords, or anything else related to security. I mean, I can run this "wmic get os version" or whatever it is, but... I need to know how many computers, and which computers to run it on... And for this, I will need to use MAP, because it's the easiest way... Right? I mean, I understand there may be other ways, like some of the built-in, but... They're not the best ones to use. Some may show only computers that are online, some may not show something else... So I see MAP as the ultimate way out, but with this "Failed - Access Denied" message, it's useless to run and have MAP Toolkit installed at all! So if there is any better solution - I'd like to know, and which one that is. If not - what do I do in that case?

I hope there is a way out. Oh, and yes, sorry, but... Visiting some websites may be dangerous... And I'm not talking about files. Even from moderators. Sorry... Also, there may be tons of information, and just a couple of words on the topic I need. So if possible, I'd like everything I need to... Just be copied here in the message? Or is it going to be too long?