MarketWatch Slams Windows 8, Calls it Unmitigated Disaster

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I'm not opposed to change so the change in GUI doesn't infuriates me as most people.
However Windows 8 and Visual Studio 11 seems to have serious functionality problems.

Can't make console applications any more.
The only reason I choose a console application is to make small applications to learn to program.
There is no reason to not include a console like GUI template that you can use with Console functionality for METRO.

The only thing they needed to do is to make a GUI and OS that is scalable from mobile phones to desktops. Really don't like the way things are implemented.
Having start as a word in the background is confusing because it gives the impression that it is not a thing, just part of the background picture. Making buttons look like flat buttons is a good thing to me.

Being able to only full screen applications or two other configurations strikes me as madness.
This is very inflexible and can harm productivity.
For people who think otherwise. If somebody uses several applications that together in a workflow. The brain is going to make one context with all of those visible windows in it. Instead of threating them as separate windows.
Microsoft should instead work on functional and visible functionality such as self diagnosing capabilities. Don't be afraid to say that the processor or ram just isn't cutting it any more.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
If MS wants people to write for the metro interface and windows RT.
Windows RT should be added to Windows 7 to give developers incentive to use it. Doing this with a service pack would be a good thing perhaps?

G

I played with the developers preview a little while ago and I came to the conclusion that the metro stuff would be FAR more tolerable if things were oriented vertically. As it stands none of the metro programs I interacted with felt right because I kept having to awkwardly scroll sideways, usually by dragging the scrollbar.
If they changed that I would honestly give the OS a try when it's released.

G

Well i guess it can't be ALL bad, can it? i mean, yeah that's new, we're all scared but think about everyone who never used a computer, i'm pretty sure it will be easier to use that new windows than the older ones. Just think about it for a second.

SinisterMessiah

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I don't like the way the Metro UI is presented and kind of forced on the user in conjunction with the desktop, but I will say that I do like the design, and I think many of the apps look sexy as hell.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]Some people seriously need to chill. A lot of people here sound like the dorks who said movies with audio (talkies) were just a stupid fad.... Welcome to the IT world: learn 2 adapt, learn something new every day, or become useless. Tech is always changing and not every change is going to be in your comfort zone.[/citation]
Except Windows 8 is more like taking the audio out of movies and calling it an improvement.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Maybe Microsoft can put the following slogan for the win8 ads.

"Is your life too perfect? Are you bored of all the good stuff? Buy Microsoft Windows 8, and you get'll the worst experience imaginable. And if you buy right now, you'll get a free sledgehammer to smash your computer when you had enough".

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I've only run the Consumer Preview so far (on a non-touchscreen system), and I'm so far not liking the Metro approach. Why take the greatest feature of MS Windows (layering multiple windowed apps) and throw it out the window with full-screen metro-ized control panels.... sigh...

All the behind the scenes improvements I've been reading about for Windows 8 have had me very excited. I've been looking forward to it believing, like all recent versions of Windows, that I could choose to run it in 'Classic mode' to reduce the hurt of the new UI until I could warm up to it. For example, it took me a year or so to turn on the 'wider' Start menu for XP... now I'm used to and actually like it for 7...

I can only hope that these previews are designed to direct 'testers' to exercise the new Metro 'bits' so Microsoft gets better feedback data on the new stuff (and not wasted 'testing' on the mature parts). Please... please... please :) Even the non-technical person I loaned my Win8-CP testbed to hates it...

There's an interesting bug in the latest version of Metro, if your app crashes (in my case because I am using the generic Windows graphics driver) then many other working apps will also crash until you restart the computer.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Time will truly tell. However, given the stability and performance of Win 7, I don't see a mad rush of "upgrading" to Win 8 amongst existing users. I also see lots of "downgrading" from Win 8 to Win 7 on new platforms.

deck

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]Unfortunately all the OS developers seem to have got it into their heads to make their desktop operating systems as similar as possible to phones and tablets. Microsoft isn't the only one here although Metro looks to be one of the 'worst' forced implementations.Mac OS X Lion has had loads of iOS forced into it - the launchpad sits unused on most desktops and the castrating of Expose to make it work better on ultra low resolutions displays has forced them to add back functionality from Snow Leopard. Several Linux distros have created even worse solutions than Metro with Ubuntu, Fedora etc forcing UIs that are only barely suitable for netbooks onto high resolution desktops.Alas, Microsoft has the worst to move from this kind of forced GUI change. Apple's Lion didn't go too far and is stepping back a little in many areas with Mountain Lion - besides which, they can basically do no wrong in consumers' eyes. Linux can benefit from this kind of change as their main area of growth PC wise are low powered netbooks with low resolutions. Microsoft has a lot of corporate users who will dig their heels in. Not only that but an uniformed buyer looking for a new computer in a store could well be put off by Metro and lean more towards an Apple computer - purely because Mac OS X's GUI is more familiar looking to a Windows user than Metro.[/citation]

Sounds like you have never used linux before. None of the distros I have used force anything, I can install any Window Manager / Desktop Environment I want.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

Incorrect. Windows 8 does everything windows 7 does, and more, with a smaller footprint. Your example is flawed.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
There are admittedly a lot of good improvements made to Windows 8 under the hood. Unfortunately, it's the GUI that most people see and interact with first. It's harder to sell to someone whose first impression is "Yuk!"

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
John has been wrong way more than he's ever been right...he blasted the mouse and windows in general, which just goes to show how dumb he really is. His statement that no one is waiting in line for a windows phone is also out of touch with reality. I, for one, am eagerly awaiting for WP8 to arrive at Verizon. I would already be on the WP platform, but Verizon is only carrying the Trophy, and it was already behind the times with its tiny screen.

I recently got a chance to play with a Lumina at a local AT&T shop, and it was awesome. Now that Verizon is going to fully support WP8, as it did with the iPhone, Android, and BB, we will finally get to see whether or not it will be a strong seller. I am also looking forward to getting a Win8 tablet.

Yes, I also believe that MS is going to have a problem moving people from Win7 to Win8. But I do applaud them for simplifying and unifying the GUI across multiple platforms. I am still running the CP, since I don't see any reason to move to the RP, and I still haven't seen a single BSoD or had any real issues, whereas Win7 would BSoD on me once or twice a month.

I also don't get the criticism that MS gets about pushing a touch interface on the desktop...last time I checked, Win8 still has a Desktop mode and both the Metro and Desktop modes work just fine with a keyboard and mouse, TYVM.

John Dork just needs to get out of the tech business...he knows nothing of what he speaks of.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]jurassic512[/nom]I didn't think the new UI was that bad until I saw this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?featu [...] IMuJTrxuhQ[/citation]

That guy (Michael) knows nothing about Windows. His Start menu was a complete mess...he complained about where the Control Panel and Power options were, even though both were right there in front of his face...he clearly doesn't know about CTRL-ALT-DEL or ALT-F4. I could go on and on, but why?

kniped

Honorable
May 15, 2012
People keep calling Windows 8 the next Vista or the next ME but for a proper comparison you need to look back farther. Windows 8 is the next Microsoft Bob.

tupoun

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2012
I can't see any reasonable big company/corporation with lots of staff to switch from Win7 to 8 Metro. Just the perception of retraining all of the avg users to work with that will make the bosses back off from this, because its much harder to teach them the full navigation through the new "thingy", than just show them, how the "new" icon looks like and easily click on that. Time's money.

Timberwolf_CLT

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
As was pointed out earlier, this reminds me of when he lambasted Apple over the mouse requirement on the Mac.

He makes good points but has burned out his 15 minutes long, long, long, long ago...

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]I will reiterate a point I made some time ago; this whole thing is overhyped on both ends. Win8 is not as revolutionary as MSFT is trying to make it out to be, and it's not as bad as a lot of people, like Mr. Dvorak, try to make it out to be. Turn on your PC, type in your password, click on the desktop icon, and you're almost completely done with interacting with Metro. You can still add program icons to your desktop and taskbar. You almost NEVER have to interact with Metro. I would also note that some of the same "analysts" who are criticizing the ubiquitous look across all Windows screens were criticizing MSFT for not designing its interfaces more alike. I'm not in love with the Metro interface. It does need a lot of work, and doesn't work exceptionally well, but it functions at least as well as Win7 did for me at this point in its life-cycle. I think it's a good course. If you don't want to use the apps, the programs are still there with the desktop - use that instead. If you've got constructive criticism, let them hear it. If not, stop crying that the sky is falling and get over it. No one is going to force you to use 8, and they'll be well on their way to developing 9 by the time support for 7 starts to taper off.[/citation]

Amen. Exactly what I've been saying. On its Win8 Blog, MS has an overview of all of its previous OS's...it's a long article, but it's funny how the criticisms never change!

Status
Not open for further replies.