Marvell Introduces $99 Tablet Aimed at Students

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luker3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Just yesterday I was thinking about what would make a good tablet for students. Started putting down possible specs and laying out requirements. Looks like someone was looking over my shoulder. :D

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Thats awsome. fo 99 bucks! I'd buy one and use it everyday. I've been wanting a decent tablet but i can't afford 800$ as a student. I'd settle for the android version.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Now this is actually a great idea and a great price.. Since this is a book replacement, I wonder how much the e-books (or whatever they use) will be going to go for since the price of this device is almost equivalent to just one book already.

This could be a great reference to any technical person on the job; load it up with drawings, diagrams, pointers, current procedures, settings, etc. What's the battery life? Memory expansion? I can definitely see this making my Christmas list, quite possibly at the top.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Most of the expense of textbooks is the writing and producing of them. the cost of manufacturing them is minimal. My current intro to business class book is $150, and the writers likely get $50 of that, with the publisher taking about $70. That actual manufacturing of them is likely only about $10-12, and the remaining $18-20 goes to distribution. That's why most book stores make most of their money from used books. They make almost nothing from new books.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]Most of the expense of textbooks is the writing and producing of them. the cost of manufacturing them is minimal.[/citation]

What youre missing there is that every time they rewrite that book and put out a new issue those same people get the same amounts for doing less work.

This is similar to an idea I was pitching to a friend of mine here in NC. Instead of a laptop for all students 7-12th grades give them an e-reader and put all their books on it so they dont have to lug a 100lb backpack home every day. The only issue was the e-readers are $300+ and only in black and white (this was a couple of years ago). They would still be cheaper than a laptop and lighter but thats still quite a bit.

The only other issue with this is that the textbook writers will argue that it will cut into their profits (arent the leftists saying to get the profits out of healthcare? will they say the same thing about education next?) unless you charge the same price for the e-book version of the book as the paper copy. That could put a dent in the adoption of this e-textbook concept.

[edit] I also read the article that you linked to Jane and it didnt mention prices. Where did you see the 99 dollar price tag. [/edit]

ash0573

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I think the biggest issue with e-readers and tables are not the devices them selves but how the documents are published. For example a book may have references that may refer to pages at the bottom of the page or the end of the book. Yet most documents done anchors to and from those locations when one refers to the notes. Being able to copy and paste from a document to notes, highlight, mark pages with tabs, etc. is important and that is what e-readers and tablets are not very good at. Yes there is more functionality in a e-reader/tablet but texts primary purpose is for referencing specific places in documents an being able to quickly a refer and access to those locations. I use Adobe professional for work related items and the time involved for sighting, noting, highlighting document take me more time than paper versions. I just hope that they can come up with an intuitive interface and a standard for such tasks across multiple e-reader/tablet document formats and platforms.

Ash

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]Most of the expense of textbooks is the writing and producing of them. the cost of manufacturing them is minimal. [/citation]

They factor in that they'll sell a lot less books due to the used book market. They bump the price up to compensate for the lack of money they're going to get out of that market. Selling an e-book should be seen as a win if they can drop the price to 20% less than what a used physical book is going for (and make it impossible to resell the e-book).

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]They factor in that they'll sell a lot less books due to the used book market. They bump the price up to compensate for the lack of money they're going to get out of that market. Selling an e-book should be seen as a win if they can drop the price to 20% less than what a used physical book is going for (and make it impossible to resell the e-book).[/citation]

and sadly the same reason none of them will likely ever take off, the publishers just don't want it to happen, people would expect significantly lower prices than a physical book, when the extra price to make it a physical book is minimal

G

If it really is only $99, then I'll definitely buy one of these. The fact that it can play 1080p video is worth the price alone.

drip50291

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
ZOMG +1000 for marvell. I dont care if this product ends up sucking a*s the concept is pure genius (not like they were the first to think it up or anything but to take action accounts for +999). Buying text box suck but i'll be curious to find out if the prices lower or stay the same on virtual text books.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Something tells me it really isn't a $ 100.00, you probably have to subscribe to a wireless plan for 2 years or something like that for them to make money.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Holy WOW that is awesome! Only $99? Running Android? I'll be buying a few of these if both of those remain true and the product is good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS