Mass Effect 3's 'Extended Cut' Ending Coming Tomorrow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Of course I am, just to confirm how they haven't listened to their fans at all. Just like I would eat the steak, and not go back to that restaurant. I'll play the DLC, see how much they failed still, and never buy a Bioware game again.[/citation]
Uh huh.

I'll see you at the next Bioware game topic.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Yeah, the ending could have been better, and yeah there were plot holes, but overall I really enjoyed ME3. My main problem was the unfathomable inability to import your personal character's face IF you were a Mass Effect loyalist, and played through from the first game. The very BASIS for the series was wiped out by that unbelievable omission. It was YOUR character, the one you've been with from all the battles since ME1, 2, and suddenly, you were unable to continue for the series final chapter. I'm still astonished that Bioware let the game out the door with such a silly, and yet devastating bug. Did NOBODY on the quality control team use a character created in ME1? ROFL....

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]Uh huh.I'll see you at the next Bioware game topic.[/citation]

Not on their forums, been banned for over a year for bashing DA2. ME3 was their last chance. They failed, but hey project your Biodrone behavior on everyone else.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
wow. this is sooooooooo ancient. i know it's been over 3 months since release but that's considered ancient in internet time. :)

i've had my fill of me3. bring on me4! ;P

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
As for the original intended ending for Mass Effect 3, the galaxy still got destroyed. Some plot revolving dark energy. I know dark energy sounds cool, however, the galaxy got destroyed, and everything you did was moot. This ending was written by the ME1 lead writer (Drew K).

Still holding out for the Indoctrination Theory, even if Bioware doesn't confirm it. I know, some people actually want them to come out and say it, but they did say to come up with your own interpretation for the ending.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I personally enjoyed the game, though there are quite a few annoying things with the controls and taking cover still. The only problem I ever had with the ending was like what a few others said. There were suppose to be more based on your decisions and the amount of readiness you had. Unless there are some differences between the normal mode and Hardcore+ endings. The take I got from getting to the end was that shephard actually got toasted to the edge of death right before making it to the beam.. Least when did it I got railed by a thanix from a reaper at the last second, couldnt dodge no matter what I tried. Then after that, the destruction ending was you resisting indoctrination, and barely surviving the hit. Control was giving in to the reapers, and then assimilation was taking the option that the collectors basically took.

JBADS

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]*sorry if this double posts*thats the only redeemable way to do it, now... i fully believe that if the indoc theory is true, and with what the red ending to the game has, i believe its just a VERY bad telling of what happens. only way to redeem the game is to destroy the universe.and anyone who is complaining about "we shouldnt complain about it" please, watch angry joes why the mass effect 3 ending sucks video, as he sums it all up very well. i have gotten so use to the journey and not the destination, but 3 games building up to the destination... and THAT is what you get... its barely better than fable 2 and 3 endings... scrap that, its barely better than fable 2 ending.[/citation]

Honestly the very thought of comparing the fable games in any aspect with mass effect is worse than the mass effect 3 ending.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
What currently determines the ending you get is your EMS score. Playing on Insanity doesn't do anything, AFAIK. Although playing certain content (eg. LOTSB, Overlord, etc) will provide you with more war assets. The higher the war assets (EMS), the better the ending.

There's a bunch of hidden dialogue that was not in the game, but on the disc or downloaded version (Origin), so hopefully they will include that. It was very good.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
[citation][nom]magnetite[/nom]There's a bunch of hidden dialogue that was not in the game, but on the disc or downloaded version (Origin), so hopefully they will include that. It was very good.[/citation]

If I'm correct most of the hidden dialogue is from getting the from ashes pack, and having Javik the protheon in your party. I did buy that DLC, didnt get him till later in the game my first playthrough. But he does add a bit of humor to certain parts of the game, and explains quite a bit about others, especially the asari.

If thats the case though, that means there are only like 8 endings instead of 16, and then they aren't really all that much different.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I sure am glad I didn't play ME3 yet. Whenever I do get it I'll be playing the new ending and not the mess people are proclaiming the current one to be...this is assuming the new is better otherwise I'd be disappointed like most.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]magnetite[/nom]As for the original intended ending for Mass Effect 3, the galaxy still got destroyed. Some plot revolving dark energy. I know dark energy sounds cool, however, the galaxy got destroyed, and everything you did was moot. This ending was written by the ME1 lead writer (Drew K).Still holding out for the Indoctrination Theory, even if Bioware doesn't confirm it. I know, some people actually want them to come out and say it, but they did say to come up with your own interpretation for the ending.[/citation]

At least the ending would of made sense then. Now it's destroyed for.... idk, just because?

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]LOL I just uninstalled ME3 last weekend figuring that it didnt matter what their "explanation" was it would still not fix the huge problems with their lack of work on the ending... I mean hell just give us a 4th option to walk away and fight and it would be 1000% better but of course they wont do that because it gets in the way of their[/citation]
They can't give that 4th option. Artistic integrity! :D

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
As to just defeat the Reapers conventionally without using the Crucible, they said it couldn't be done. Having an ending with lots of ships and big explosions trying to defeat the Reapers that way would have ended up everyone getting killed.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I just played through the extended cut, and really, I don't know why they bothered. It solves nothing and will placate exactly none of the complainers. Plus, it was like 1.5GB download for almost no extra content. I'd rather they spent the time on new DLC and the next ME Universe game.

However, playing through the ending again for the first time in months, it really was a heart-rending production and well done. If you can get past the plot holes like I can (others just can't), you will be moved.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Nothing will fix ME3, the ending is the least of it's problems. I can understand dumbing down of mechanics of game to please wider audience, but what was done to ME series was much worse. ME3 is just plain simple below average game. Poorly written story and poorly presented story, requirement to own iPhone or iPad to have perfect game. This game shouldn't have scored above 65/100 from reviewers. Bioware ruined this game when they decided to change complete writing team. These new endings are even worse than the main game.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
ok, just watched the new endings.

and they arent ac cookie cutter as they were before
they also explain a few things, and ill give bioware credit that they just screwed up on telling the first time.
they added one new ending, which is easily the worst ending even considering the unmodified ones.

than they changed the way that the first 3 play out.

SPOILER

destroy, crap hits the fan, and hope for tomorrow speech, and that we will have everything fixed... in time... Shepard most likely lives.

synthetic end, probably the best of the new 3, though it still screws up some of the over all story, its not as bad this time around. shepard is dead, and the reapers are now friends... yea i'm not lieing about that one.

control, well shepard... well... transcends mortality? this is another one that i do like the ending of... mainly because its probably the option my shepard would have taken.

and do nothing end, you fail, reapers win, liaria made the new prothian (sp) beacon thing.

DO NOT GET ME WRONG, i still think these are the worst endings in a video game what till this point was my favorite stories. and each ending feels more like a cop out than anything else, but thats how it ends.... and i like these new explained ones far more than the cookie cutter first run endings, still dont like them over all, but better than the first ones.

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
I shot the catalyst/boy just for fun, but it turns out that was a bad thing to do. Now I have to replay the whole section again to try out the new endings. :(

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
IMO, now that the Extended Cut is out, Mass Effect 3 is nothing short of legendary. Original ending was okay. New, expanded endings were amazing. I had most of my questions answered, and it gave me hope for the galaxy and that my choices did matter.

Original ending didn't quite go into detail, but this one covers most of the stuff I wanted. Surely not everything, but it was good enough for me. The rest I could figure out on my own, or as they wanted, to leave some of it open for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.