[SOLVED] Massive list of BSOD errors, just one problem or many? Windows 10. Ram problem?

WonderMouse

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
I've been getting the following BSOD errors over time, they were infrequent enough that I wasn't too worried but they've been happening more and more. Would just do a clean install but I think it might be something hardware related possibly?

Irql_not_less_or_equal

Registry_filter_driver_exception

Kmode_exception_not_handled

APC_index_mismatch

Kernel_Security_check_failure

System_service_exception (what failed) fltmgr.sys/npfs.sys

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

Reference_by_pointer

Critical_process_died

Attempted_to_write_to_read_only_memory_failed_npyf.s

Mulitple_irp_complete_requests

Kernel_auto_boost_lock_acquisition (something didnt catch the rest)

Very recently I've had the whole PC freeze (no crash) mouse stuck in place etc, it stays like that indefinitely, have to hold the power button down to shut it off.

Crashes mostly occurred in browser (doesn't matter which) and a few crashes when installing or downloading something, but not as many as in browser. It feels like the more tabs open the more likely it will crash. However I don't think I've crashed to BSOD from gaming yet, even when playing an intensive game for hours.

Windows 10 install is on a relatively new SSD, less than 6 months

Ryzen 3600

MSI Tomahawk Max

R9 290

16gb (8x2) 3200mhz Ram

600w (I think) 80+bronze psu

I know its a stretch but I haven't been able to launch Bannerlord at all since it was released until last thing last night, suddenly it's working. Then suddenly this morning I'm getting the freezing screen no BSOD, could be connected or no. Just thought maybe what was causing it not to launch corrected itself but jeffed up something else.

Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

don't see Named Pipe File System very often and you got it twice (npfs.sys)

WonderMouse

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

don't see Named Pipe File System very often and you got it twice (npfs.sys)

PC won't stay on long enough to run memtest

I've tried each stick individually and in different slots, crashes about the same (just sitting on desktop)

Flashed BIOS to latest recommended version.

Got a new BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ov9cdxajrnbec85/040220-8250-01.zip?dl=0

that should be the minidump.

Thanks

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://patchiertrouble.htmlpasta.com/
File information:040220-8562-01.dmp (Apr 2 2020 - 05:19:49)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: LEDKeeper2.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

File information:040220-8515-01.dmp (Apr 2 2020 - 06:56:04)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

File information:040220-8250-01.dmp (Apr 1 2020 - 19:03:29)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)

File information:040120-10546-01.dmp (Apr 1 2020 - 17:40:20)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL (192)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ctfmon.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File information:033120-8359-01.dmp (Mar 31 2020 - 09:20:39)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 15 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-max
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You have version 3.0 and the latest is version 3.5. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

WonderMouse

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://patchiertrouble.htmlpasta.com/
File information:040220-8562-01.dmp (Apr 2 2020 - 05:19:49)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: LEDKeeper2.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

File information:040220-8515-01.dmp (Apr 2 2020 - 06:56:04)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

File information:040220-8250-01.dmp (Apr 1 2020 - 19:03:29)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)

File information:040120-10546-01.dmp (Apr 1 2020 - 17:40:20)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ctfmon.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File information:033120-8359-01.dmp (Mar 31 2020 - 09:20:39)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 15 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-max
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You have version 3.0 and the latest is version 3.5. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

I have already flashed to 3.5 and it didn't fix it. Tried the sticks individually and they both crashed. Thanks

WonderMouse

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
if PC won't stay on long enough to boot off a USB, its not a windows problem really. As memtest makes a Bootable USB. So if its crashing when windows isn't even running...

What brand/model is PSU?

Sorry I didn't realise memtest was bootable, i presumed you ran it in windows so didn't bother. I can try it. PSU is a 750w 80+bronze. ATM it is only crashing in windows after min 60 seconds.

WonderMouse

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Okay I may have forgotten about the most obvious step of them all. Booting in safe mode. I've left the pc on the desktop in safe mode for around and hour and a half so far no crashes.

WonderMouse

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Since starting pc regularly (not safe mode) with xmp enabled I've not crashed yet. Played just cause 3 and rome total war 2.

SO far used furmark to test the gpu for 5 minutes and still no crash.

WonderMouse

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
see if it comes back, your memory changes may be all we needed.

But I just can't rap my head around why?

Loads of people on the internet talk about xmp crashing their system, but only when it's on not off. And most say there system is stable with it off.

Why would it possibly be the other way around. Crashing with lower speed memory.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't question things when they work, there are enough problems around here as it is :)

I guess your ram is built to run at 3200. Odd thing is, in the crash reports, your ram slots were already showing as running at 3200. That was while you got those BSOD.

Was ram at default or XMP when you got BSOD last time?

WonderMouse

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
I don't question things when they work, there are enough problems around here as it is :)

I guess your ram is built to run at 3200. Odd thing is, in the crash reports, your ram slots were already showing as running at 3200. That was while you got those BSOD.

Was ram at default or XMP when you got BSOD last time?

I was running the ram at 3200mhz. but not by using xmp, I had set it to 3200mhz myself in the bios.

I've only just tried xmp, my ram was always at default or custom set to 3200mhz. So far I don't think i've crashed since switching xmp on.

I'm hopeful this is the fix, but what worries me is it's not a black and white change (like replacing faulty ram) and I always feel like I'm just about to start experiencing the crashing again.

WonderMouse

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
its possible XMP has slightly better settings for 3200 compared to your custom speed of 3200.

I don't know what you had before, ram isn't my strong area - https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/ballistix-sport-lt-ddr4-3200-mhz-2x8-gb-review,6.html

I am different, i prefer to fix things without need of a replacement.

Wait and see, it might come back.

Hopefully not. Hopefully enabling xmp was the fix (if everything was the result of just one problem) it just feels too easy, I'm suspicious.

Yes it's possible the xmp changed the voltage or something, could have been the problem.