Question Massive performance issues with Ryzen 9 5950X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hey there,

I recently purchased Asus ROG VIII Formula and gotten 5950X on her. I'm using newest beta BiOS 2402 [tried also previous version 2311 ] and I'm running into massive issues.

When I use BiOS default settings, I can get barely 11K pts [and sometimes going down to 8k] in CPUz multi-thread and 580 - 610 in single-thread. Cinebench R20 is running also very poorly in default settings and that's at ~8500cb for multicore and 550cb for single core. I also ran Geekbench and 3D Mark.

I'm using NH-D15 Chromax Black to cool the monster, and am using 2 x 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal CL16 memory running at 3600 MHz [D.O.C.P.]. I tried 4 x 16 GB but that's a complete disaster.

I'm using second PCi-e slot for my VGA [RTX 3090 Strix OC], because first interferes with cooler.

I tried all possible and impossible memory and PBO settings in BiOS and the only time I'm getting "so so" performance, as I should according to benchmarks is when I use Ryzen Master and use Auto OC mode, and in this case I achieve "stock" values in multithread and subpar values in singlethread.

I'm able to get good single thread performance [677 pts in CPUz] in some random settings in BiOS, but than the multithread suffers [11k instead of 12 - 13k].

Any clue on what should I do? I'm totally desperate :/.

I mean I tried so much, cought only a glimpse in this thread of mine. What could be the issue? Memory? Graphcis card in PCi-e port #2? My two MP600 NVMe SSD drives? Should I get 4000 MHz memory?

I'm totally lost here, please advise,

With kind regards

uplink

jtk2515

Distinguished
Dood, just like You, it's not about 200 - 300 USD with me, I just want to it work :(. It's my third memory kit, I'm already 400e in a loss :/

I will have Your memory sticks tomorrow [well, today, but I need to sleep at least a bit :D] and than I will run it with default D.O.C.P. and I'll set the Fabric Clock to half the speed, just as You assumed.

Can I keep the RAM at D.O.C.P? You and I we literally have the same CPU, MB and RAM, so I will copy Your settings if You allow me and will let You know.

Or should I run the RAM on some custom timing/settings?

If your going to get the new memory tomorrow. I would not mess with the timings of the meomoryas it could mess up your OS. Didnt see your reply as I was editing my post lol. I Would give you my timings if I could but my Memory is just XMP 3600mhz cl16-18-18-36 so it would not help you.

Reactions: uplink-svk
If your going to get the new memory tomorrow. I would not mess with the timings of the meomoryas it could mess up your OS. Didnt see your reply as I was editing my post lol. I Would give you my timings if I could but my Memory is just XMP 3600mhz cl16-18-18-36 so it would not help you.
My deep apologies, I thought You were the cucumber guy @QueueCumber.

Okay, okay. Now I',m game. Okay, I'll try the new memory and will do what You told me to do. Set the Fabric Clock to half the RAM speed [that's gonna be 1900 MHz, since the memory will be 3800 MHz] will leave the D.O.C.P. active, and will see, what'll it do.

Btw. fun fact, my actual memory is 4266 MHz and it's 19-19-19-36-50 or 38-50 and when I use D.O.C.P., CPU-z shows 20-19-19-whatever :/.

Anyway, You have this board too, right? And what CPU?

jtk2515

Distinguished
My deep apologies, I thought You were the cucumber guy @QueueCumber.

Okay, okay. Now I',m game. Okay, I'll try the new memory and will do what You told me to do. Set the Fabric Clock to half the RAM speed [that's gonna be 1900 MHz, since the memory will be 3800 MHz] will leave the D.O.C.P. active, and will see, what'll it do.

Btw. fun fact, my actual memory is 4266 MHz and it's 19-19-19-36-50 or 38-50 and when I use D.O.C.P., CPU-z shows 20-19-19-whatever :/.

Anyway, You have this board too, right? And what CPU?

I have the 5600x and I am waiting for the Asus dark hero 8 from asus to come out( It has that new bio setting to run pbo on low amp draw and oc on high amp draw.it is suppose to be released december 10-20th. If i cannt wait i will get a Msi x570 Mag tomahawk.

I have the 5600x and I am waiting for the Asus dark hero 8 from asus to come out( It has that new bio setting to run pbo on low amp draw and oc on high amp draw.it is suppose to be released december 10-20th. If i cannt wait i will get a Msi x570 Mag tomahawk.
Hmm, that sounds interesting. Will this feature be implemented to other Asus mobos too? Or is it a special feature of Dark Hero? I mean, do You think that Crosshair VIII Formula will be able to run the 5950X normally, or is that mobo fubar for Ryzen 5000?

jtk2515

Distinguished
Hmm, that sounds interesting. Will this feature be implemented to other Asus mobos too? Or is it a special feature of Dark Hero? I mean, do You think that Crosshair VIII Formula will be able to run the 5950X normally, or is that mobo fubar for Ryzen 5000?
As of now It is only in the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard. The Crosshair VIII Formula is a very good motherboard so it should be Good to Go.

@jtk2515 , @QueueCumber so I have the Ryzen Neo Ram, the cl14 3800 MHz model and I'm left with the same results :(

I tried D.O.C.P. + 1900 MHz for Fabric Clock, than I tried manual timings on 14 - 15 - 15 - 15 - 36 - 48 [and rest on Auto], I also tried JEDEC #0 - #3 and XMP manual settings. I have some discrepancies there, but it's just minor thing. I'm nowhere near the reviewers scores :(

Last edited:

jtk2515

Distinguished
@jtk2515 , @QueueCumber so I have the Ryzen Neo Ram, the cl14 3800 MHz model and I'm left with the same results :(

I tried D.O.C.P. + 1900 MHz for Fabric Clock, than I tried manual timings on 14 - 15 - 15 - 15 - 36 - 48 [and rest on Auto], I also tried JEDEC #0 - #3 and XMP manual settings. I have some discrepancies there, but it's just minor thing. I'm nowhere near the reviewers scores :(

You are useing 4x8gbs of the 3800mhz cl14 and your score did not improve?

Reactions: uplink-svk

jtk2515

Distinguished
2 x 8 GB of the 3800 MHz CL14 and it did, but very weakly. I'm waiting for the second kit, it should arrive on Thursday. So four are better than two, right? [I mean for Ryzen 5000].

Yes you should see between 3-9% increase performance going from 2 rank to 4 rank depending on the benchmark. What site's benchmark numbers are you comparing to?

Yes you should see between 3-9% increase performance going from 2 rank to 4 rank depending on the benchmark. What site's benchmark numbers are you comparing to?
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-9-5950x-5900x-zen-3-review
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-9-5900x-and-5950x-review,1.html
and

calander_j

Commendable
Jan 13, 2019
Hi!
I have the same problems ,..
Specs:
Ryzen 9 5950X
Asus rog strix x570-F gaming
32Gb 4x8 DDR4 corsair vengence cl19 3600mhz
Asus Ryujin 360
Asus rog strix RTX3090 OC
2x intel m.2 ssd
Psu Evga g2 supernova 1300W

In my case the gpu fluctuate in usage like crazy and in timespy it's around 30% usage and 50% powerdraw...
The cpu score is all over the place and much worse then it should, it's like a severe cpu bottleneck.
I can't barely play games at all..

I've tried like everything but without any success.
Tried the gpu in my second rig and it ran as it supposed to, tried my old 1080Ti in my new ryzen build and the same issue, the card could not run at full speed...
Tried to swap the PSU but did not help.
Fresh windows install,
Different bioses tested, drivers, but nothing.
Im now trying to get the retailer to take a refund so I can wait for rocket lake insted...
Or is there a fix?