Matching motherboard for MCP73PVT-PM?

Ian_G

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Does anyone know if there is a comparison or equivalent chart anywhere for matching up different brands of mobos? I sent an email to Gigabyte asking if they had an equivalent one in their range to my (now dead) MCP73PVT-PM. I haven't had a reply yet.

I would like to find a Gigabyte one that would match, having read favourable reports on here about them.

Long story short: My 2 1/2 year old Packard Bell iXtreme X5620 UK (M3720) desktop computer died last week. I whittled the cause down to the motherboard and now I'm trying to find a replacement motherboard.

I want to try and match all of it, especially the headers (one of which supplies flash card readers on the front top of the case), PLUS hoping a new motherboard would have more capacity for RAM, extra slots etc.

I have done a lot of work on computers except replacing a motherboard and I'm not sure what comes as standard. The computer was running Windows 7 64-bit.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Ian_G

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I just had a reply from Gigabyte saying this: "Sorry but Intel Socket 775 motherboard is discontinued."

I'm confused (not unusual) now, because on their website I've seen many lists of motherboards containing the 775.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Ian_G

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Thanks for your comment.

I'm trying to save money (who isn't?) by using the CPU out of my old computer in a new MB. And I found several (many even) with the 775 socket on Amazon and also, as I mentioned earlier, on Gigabyte's own site - maybe they're not producing any new ones with the 775 socket but left the lists and specs there for reference? There still seem to be a lot about.

I only wish that Packard Bell hadn't been so obtuse as to remove the MB specs page of the one in my computer. I originally saved the link to the page but when I clicked on it the other day it said 'Page Not Found'! :fou:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, that is common practice to leave boards' sites up for reference. Unfortunately, some less reputable sites don't always do that.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you purchase a new/used board and your copy of Windows is an OEM, be aware that OEM versions are tied to the motherboard of the original installation. MS expects you to buy a new license when you change boards.

Ian_G

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Yes indeed! The first thing I did was a lot of research on MS WPA and, given my predicament, it should just take a phone call to MS to activate my existing OEM on a new board.

That seems to be the easy bit, compared with trying to match my old MB form factor/specs to a newer model, using my existing CPU and peripherals, cards etc. But I'll get there in the end (it just takes a long time)!