Matias Releases the World's Quietest Mechanical Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Personally, this is my favourite keyboard design. It is very simplistic, and mechanical. However for those late nights my regular mechanical keyboard can make a LOT of noise.

But at $150? Nope.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
But where is the fun in having a keyboard that doesn't make a lot of clicky noises. I don't know about the rest of you but that clicky noise makes me feel like I am getting stuff done and typing real fast, if you take that away I will feel unproductive.

In fact I just realised this reading the article, I think I rather prefer to keep my clicky keyboard and annoy the other non existant people that are currently not around me.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
So they took a Logitech keyboard circa 2005, and stuck a thin foam layer between the keys and keyboard and charge $130 additional for it. Sounds like a business model taken strait from the Apple playbook....

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Love quiet keyboards. Gaming i don't notice the click-clack because I usually have the sound so loud or headphones on. But when i'm sitting and relaxing while I type, the noise certainly gets annoying. Annoying enough for the price tag on this keyboard? No. Seriously, $150 for a keyboard? That's about the price I paid for my SSD. Heck, that's more than some people pay for their CPU. I like the idea of a quieter keyboard, but it's not nearly so important to drop that kind of cash on.

Foam? No. They have new key switches. Logitech had a mechanical keyboard then? No. Also has laser etched keys so the lettering doesn't wear off. This is on par with higher end mechanical keyboards for price. Im not sure I like this keyboard but your post using made up pieces of info is silly.

G

when will people realise that all regular keyboards are mechanical..unless you using some sort of touch surface that is

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]proffessorclick[/nom]when will people realise that all regular keyboards are mechanical..unless you using some sort of touch surface that is[/citation]

wat

The "Mechanical" refers to a mechanical switch, be it designed by IBM (Buckling Spring Switch) Cherry (Cherry MX) or Topre (Topre Capacitive Switches), et al.

Basically a Mechanical keyboard is any keyboard that has a mechanical keyswitch design, or, when used in layman's conversation, any keyboard that doesn't use a digitizer or simple rubber dome membrane.

If you really want to get nitpicky about the definition of "mechanical" then my cell phone is mechanical because it flips open and has electronic parts, but as the term is used amongst enthusiasts, no, not every "regular keyboard" is mechanical.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Also, this product is unneccesary. Blues and Buckling Switches are the only keyswitches that even make sound so long as you don't bottom out. I can type essentially silently with my MX Black board, unless you count the 3db sound of springs compressing halfway and plastic rubbing.

Even if you are hammering on the keyboard like a wildman, get a 3 dollar set of 0-rings, install in half an hour and you're basically silent again.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The keyboard looks fine but it's not much cheaper than a Topre so I pass.

Concerning the noise, it only takes a few days until the user gets used not to bottom out the keys which is the cause of the clicks.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The keyboard looks fine but it's not much cheaper than a Topre so I pass.

Concerning the noise, it only takes a few days until the user gets used not to bottom out the keys which is the cause of the clicks.

gregaaron89

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
$150 are you kidding me? Even for mechanical that's steep, and for something that doesn't even have macro keys or anything. And the design, wow. Dated, much?

G

to get a proper silent mechanical keyboard is not as simple as most people think. so far none of the stealth/silent mechanical keyboards that i have seen can take that title, all of them are still loud. they may be a little less noise then the non-silent counterpart. but its still noisy in the end.

if you want the click noises then go ahead knock yourself out. but some people want to use mechanical keyboards around other people, so we would like to get the most silent solution possible. If it is truly silent i will get one at work.

would prefer a great silent keyboard from ducky, because i am totally satisfied with my ducky keyboard for my gaming system. but its too loud for office use.

will need to wait for a proper review, cmon hardware heaven.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]My first mechanical keyboard is the Razer Black Widow. I love the feel and sound of the keys; it's so cool![/citation]

I returned 3 black widow keyboards, the problem with that keyboard is the flashing, I bricked 1 during flashing, the others had this weird issue where the "W" key would not work after a reboot, unplugging and reconnecting it would make it work for 3 min, then it would die again.

Not sure what to think about that, but I now use a Saitek and have no problems at all.

I don't understand how that can happen to someone, I really do. I bought the BF3 edition of the black widow and it works perfect; literally. I also have a friend who had purchased the regular edition and it works great for him too. During the early batches of the Black Widows I know people had issues too, but it should be resolved. It's one best plastic keyboards I've used, it's durable and heavy.

G

dalethepcman: Actually no. They reengineered a brand new switch over the course of 2 years, based on a simplified ALPS keyswitch that is no longer made. A LOT of work was put into this board. It is dampened, but tactile. They also make a clicky version of the same switch without the dampening.

rjandric: The resemblance is intentional. Matias makes keyboards specifically for use with macs, since they have a slightly different layout and different keycaps. They also make PC keyboards, but they started out making products for mac users

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS