[SOLVED] Maximum processor state ignored in-game

Apr 4, 2020
I set my maximum processor state in power settings below 100% to avoid overheating, because my games started getting FPS drops and I noticed a lot of thermal throttling. Everything worked perfectly, staying constantly at the specified GHz, however, as soon as I opened a game, these settings were ignored and my laptop started using 100% of CPU power, turbocharging etc. and jumps above 90°C. The game has to be the active window as well. I tried disabling Game Mode, restarting... And it only seems to affect games I have in the GeForce Experience library, a CPU stress test doesn't cause it to jump. What more could I try?

Solution
I realised it also does it on some games that are not in GeForce plus I disabled all the optimisations in there. I just disabled some kind of Do Not Disturb mode in Avast and it seems to be working for some reason. I'll try to update tomorrow if that actually fixed it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Removing GeForce Experience. Many times it has auto set optimizations that'll override any of the user and many of the Windows settings, just to get what it thinks is optimum display output. It doesn't care if you get 40fps or 60fps, that's honestly an irrelevant figure, as long as it's a buttery smooth and crisp picture.

According to someone else, the person who wrote and evaluated the optimization.

Just set your in game settings yourself, don't rely on what someone else says is good, they aren't playing on your laptop, they play on a $5000 top of the line monitor.

Apr 4, 2020
I realised it also does it on some games that are not in GeForce plus I disabled all the optimisations in there. I just disabled some kind of Do Not Disturb mode in Avast and it seems to be working for some reason. I'll try to update tomorrow if that actually fixed it.

Solution
Apr 4, 2020
No idea why this was moved to a graphics card thread, since it's literally only concerned with processors, but it seems like the Avast Do Not Disturb mode was really messing up my in-game power settings.