Maximus X Hero WiFi-AC with 9900K or upgrade to Z390 board?

Nov 4, 2018
Hello everyone,

Pretty straight forward question. Would it be better/worth it to keep my Maximus X Hero and update to latest bios or return it and upgrade to a Z390 board? What would be the pros and cons of both scenarios?

Thanks in advance for any help and feedback and for your time.

Solution
Z390 only gets you the CNVI WIFI cards (reduced cost due to chipset taking over a portion of WIFI cards functionality) and native USB3.1
Your board has WIFI and USB3.1 from an add on controller, you are not missing out. At most loading another driver if you have to ever reinstall.

Update the BIOS for the new chips and enjoy.
Yes, of course. Take advantage of that. In the future though I would go with a different Intel motherboard until Asus stops taking shortcuts on their $300 motherboards.

*Edited to fix my mistake of thinking the motherboard in the video was the Code. It is the Hero XI just like the OP's Hero X with the same 4-phase VRM.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lAE3PgWoRc&t=1323s"][/video]
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLO-vYjJN-I"][/video]

I would definitely do this. No point in spending money on another motherboard when that one will run it just fine. I posted the above simply because it was somewhat relevant (and surprising to me.)

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Z390 only gets you the CNVI WIFI cards (reduced cost due to chipset taking over a portion of WIFI cards functionality) and native USB3.1
Your board has WIFI and USB3.1 from an add on controller, you are not missing out. At most loading another driver if you have to ever reinstall.

Update the BIOS for the new chips and enjoy.

Solution
Sorry, I'm sure it will work great. I'm just a little bitter about the VRMs at the moment. I just found out yesterday the MAXIMUS XI Hero I had bought was only a 4-phase made to look like an 8-phase. just not something I'd expect from a $300 motherboard from Asus. I'm pretty sure the MAXIMUS X Hero is the same way. But again, nothing that should make you go and buy a new motherboard.