Question Maybe heat problem on AMD fx-9590

Apr 14, 2020
Hello, I’m trying to help my friend and troubleshoot his computer, here’s the parts:
-Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+
-CPU: AMD fx-9590 4.7GHz 8-core
-CPU cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0
-GPU: Asus radeon R9 290x 4GB DirectCU II
-PSU: Cooler Master 850w
-Memory: 16 GIGA DDR3 1866MHZ Kingston (4bar).
  • Drives: 1x 1000 black sata and 1x Samsung 500 GB 2.5 SSD
-Case: Cooler HAF922
-Windows 8.1

The problem: The trouble start by the computer shutdown when gaming and now he also shutdown on light task as surfing internet, youtube... (Qcode: FF)
My tests: PSU work fine. I put it on a stress test with Prime95 the result are in the link below (photos). I think Prime 95 test cpu and ram. The computer shutdown so my problem must be one of those?

View: https://imgur.com/a/jiepFKo

I suspected the cpu temp to be too high, I included a pic of the air flow as well.
Is the cpu heat my real problem? Other test to do?

Thanks!

-Philippe-

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020
he can't check the cpu temp to be sure?

is that the radiator in the back? the will draw cool air but the radiator will heat it up

Check the cpu temp? The temps are in the pictures, before the test and just before it shutdown.

Yeah its the cpu cooler radiator in back. But there is a giant fan on top and a little at side that immediatly exhaust the heat.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
His airflow is ALL messed up. That radiator is in the worst possible spot as all hes doing is pulling hot air in and running it right over the VRMs. and with intakes at opposite ends hes likely creating hot pockets inside the case as the cool front air is being sucked right out the side.

The radiator needs to be in one of two places, either exhausting out the top, or preferably intake through the front panel. Then use the side fan as an intake as well and have exhausts out the top and rear.

That CPU is a known heat problem, in fact its preferable to have a 240 water cooler for it, mainly due to the doubled surface area ad well as moving the heat exchange away from the CPU area because its so hot and the VRMs get heavily taxed. That said I would throw precisely 0 dollars at upgrading the cooling in the system.

Move the fans around as described, and only purchase fans if needed to fill in the areas properly. Once thats done see how it works from there.

Apr 14, 2020
His airflow is ALL messed up. That radiator is in the worst possible spot as all hes doing is pulling hot air in and running it right over the VRMs. and with intakes at opposite ends hes likely creating hot pockets inside the case as the cool front air is being sucked right out the side.

The radiator needs to be in one of two places, either exhausting out the top, or preferably intake through the front panel. Then use the side fan as an intake as well and have exhausts out the top and rear.

That CPU is a known heat problem, in fact its preferable to have a 240 water cooler for it, mainly due to the doubled surface area ad well as moving the heat exchange away from the CPU area because its so hot and the VRMs get heavily taxed. That said I would throw precisely 0 dollars at upgrading the cooling in the system.

Move the fans around as described, and only purchase fans if needed to fill in the areas properly. Once thats done see how it works from there.

Thanks for your answers, really interresting!

For the radiator, it came to my mind that the placing is questionnable. But I was thinking that first, its better to intake because the air is more fresh outside than onside the computer and second, the top fan that is exhausting is enormous so I came to the conclusion that probably hot air is exhaust really fast.

But I’m sure that intaking from front panel sould be better. But the water line seems to short to put it there, i will try...

So I will try repositionnend the air flow and see how it works.

Why do you say you would put 0 dollar to upgrade cooling?

Thanks youre advices are really helpful!

-Philippe-

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thanks for your answers, really interresting!

For the radiator, it came to my mind that the placing is questionnable. But I was thinking that first, its better to intake because the air is more fresh outside than onside the computer and second, the top fan that is exhausting is enormous so I came to the conclusion that probably hot air is exhaust really fast.

But I’m sure that intaking from front panel sould be better. But the water line seems to short to put it there, i will try...

So I will try repositionnend the air flow and see how it works.

Why do you say you would put 0 dollar to upgrade cooling?

Thanks youre advices are really helpful!

-Philippe-

Your other option would be to make the radiator exhaust out the back. Your issue there is it will be taking hot air from the VRMs through it, but either way its WAY better than intake the way it is.

In the end you need to keep a flow in a single direction, preferably front/side to top/rear. So if your front and side are intake and your top and rear exhaust you'll have a proper positive airflow. So you need to do some flipping of fans at a minimum. If you're unable to move the radiator to be a front intake, you need to make it a rear exhaust with the fan pushing from inside the case out through the radiator.

What I meant regarding spending $0 was while that CPU really needs a 240mm water cooler, however going out and spending $140 on one for that system is NOT worth it.

Apr 14, 2020
What I meant regarding spending $0 was while that CPU really needs a 240mm water cooler, however going out and spending $140 on one for that system is NOT worth it.

So it’s better to buy a new computer 2000$?

But thanks, youre answer it’s what I need and I’ll try to repositionned all this tomorrow! Be back if I have other questions. Thanks for your time!!

-Philippe-

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Maybe not a whole new computer, but a new mobo, ram, and CPU. Depending on how old the PSU is, it might be about time to get a new one of those as well. The main thing is that cpu is rather obsolete these days, so spending money to upgrade it isn't worth it. Another option would be to go with an fx 8350 or 8370 and overclock it. Same performance without the heat issues. Those were very poorly designed chips.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So it’s better to buy a new computer 2000$?

But thanks, youre answer it’s what I need and I’ll try to repositionned all this tomorrow! Be back if I have other questions. Thanks for your time!!

-Philippe-

Not a whole computer, more just make an effort to get this as best as possible with what you have. Spending $140 or a new cooler for that system is throwing good money after bad, since its such an awful processor.

You'd be better served to sell the motherboard, Ram, and CPU for whatever you can get, and use that money plus the $140 you would have spent on a cooler on a new motherboard, CPU and ram which will blow it away and not have the cooling problems you're seeing.

But hopefully you can get it working with the fans as is.

Apr 14, 2020
Thanks for both of you.

I will try repositionned the fan and if it not work I will talk to my friend about the possibilities you mentionned! Fx 83 seems a good idea since I don’t think mu friend have the money to change mobo+cpu+ram...

Apr 14, 2020
So today, I rearrange the fans positionning. I start by cleaning the radiator cause it was full of dust. I installed it with his fans at the front of casing as an intake (the case was not ment to do this so I put it like I can. Not perfect but it take outside air, you can see on pictures). Also I take the fan on the side panel and put it on back as an exhaust.

Start the computer and run Prime95 again. The idle temperature was higher than before and the computer shutdown with the cpu temps higher than 80 again...

View: https://imgur.com/a/onkQRuQ

Seem to be worst than before, do I do something wrong?

-Philippe-

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Oh my god thats a lot of dust. Thats really really bad.

Secondly yes you did, put the fan on the case side so its blowing air from the outside through the radiator, instead of trying to suck air in through the radiator. You mentioned putting a fan as exhaust, your top is exhaust also as well right?

And finally you may need to spend some money and get a fan for the side of the case, get the biggest one you can, it should be INTAKING air.

Its possible the pump on that water cooler is failing, but no way to know for sure without getting proper air in

Apr 14, 2020
Secondly yes you did, put the fan on the case side so its blowing air from the outside through the radiator, instead of trying to suck air in through the radiator. You mentioned putting a fan as exhaust, your top is exhaust also as well right?

Yes the top one is exhaust with the little at the back.

I’m not sure to understand the radiator thing because the radiator have 2 fans, one on each side. You want me to put the 2 to the same side?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yes the top one is exhaust with the little at the back.

I’m not sure to understand the radiator thing because the radiator have 2 fans, one on each side. You want me to put the 2 to the same side?

Ah ok I thought there was only 1 fan, ok so you have them set up to pull air in from the front, that is good.

You do need a side fan, but I am concerned that it got worse. There is no chance you pinched one of the tubes going to and from the cooler did you?

Do you happen to have any thermal paste?

Apr 14, 2020
Ok so I change the thermal paste and it change nothing. I find a fan ton intake more air by the side panel but its not a fan connect to the mother board its a normal fan that I put next to the pc (I care to not op the fan speed). And this one make a difference. Before, the core temperature was just rising to 84 and shut down de pc in 12 seconds. With this fan blowing on the cpu, the temp rise between 76 and 80 and stabilize there for almost a minute but it finish by shut down after that.

So really seems like a cooling issue due to the radiator? Maybe I have a pump probleme or just the radiator have been badly choose due the this super cpu that is known to have heat issues. Should have been a bigger?

Thanks!

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Seems like that Aio has had it.
Either the pump is failing or its just enough evaporation over its lifespan.

My opinion on a cooler upgrade is a little different, because at least you could transfer any big aircooler to a new system later on. It would not go to waste, even if a new cpu might have been cooled "okish" with a stock cooler.
I am no expert for Fx cpus, but wouldnt lets say a Scythe Mugen 5 be enough to keep this space heater at bay?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ok so I change the thermal paste and it change nothing. I find a fan ton intake more air by the side panel but its not a fan connect to the mother board its a normal fan that I put next to the pc (I care to not op the fan speed). And this one make a difference. Before, the core temperature was just rising to 84 and shut down de pc in 12 seconds. With this fan blowing on the cpu, the temp rise between 76 and 80 and stabilize there for almost a minute but it finish by shut down after that.

So really seems like a cooling issue due to the radiator? Maybe I have a pump probleme or just the radiator have been badly choose due the this super cpu that is known to have heat issues. Should have been a bigger?

Thanks!

Sounds like your AIO is not pumping anymore, its failed. The good thing is the system seems to be shutting down and you've likely not done any permanent damage.

If you're replacing this AIO get a 240mm one. I personally think its time to eBay this stuff and replace it all but thats up to you.

Seems like that Aio has had it.
Either the pump is failing or its just enough evaporation over its lifespan.

My opinion on a cooler upgrade is a little different, because at least you could transfer any big aircooler to a new system later on. It would not go to waste, even if a new cpu might have been cooled "okish" with a stock cooler.
I am no expert for Fx cpus, but wouldnt lets say a Scythe Mugen 5 be enough to keep this space heater at bay?

Don't buy an Air cooler for an FX-9590 It needs a liquid cooler it needs the heat exchange to be moved away from the CPU area due to how much heat it generates as well as the VRMs generate.

Apr 14, 2020
Ok thank you both!

It’s weird because my friend had problem with this pc since a long time, it’s start doing this a few months after buying it but that was really occasionnal at this time. Probably the radiator really was too small at first but at a point it started to fail, and its why the shut down became more and more frequent...

I’ll give the info to my friend and see what he decied. Will come back if there is anything else.

Really appreciate guys, great community here!

Have a nice week!

-Philippe-

Reactions: Rogue Leader