McAfee: It's The Largest Malware Rise in Four Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]xendrome[/nom]AKA: Time to scare people into buying our crappy product.[/citation]

Been using McAfee for years. Nothing more wrong with it than any other Firewall/Anti-virus suite out there. You're just like those morons that flame Firefox without any justifiable reasoning.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jdog2pt0[/nom]Been using McAfee for years. Nothing more wrong with it than any other Firewall/Anti-virus suite out there. You're just like those morons that flame Firefox without any justifiable reasoning.[/citation]

Or we prefer products that never sucked to begin with.

G

love the stupid trollish comments. they add so much to the discussion.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Come on guys, talking about AVs of choice, is like talking about religion or politics on the interwebz, you will never win.

We all have a personal opinion. Probably some may concur on what AVs the do NOT like, but thats it.

zed273

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
I wonder if McAfee's statistics count its latest update as a virus. Because it pretty much acted like one, cutting of my SIL's laptop's internet access entirely and had me spending hours trying to diagnose.

Neither NOD32 nor MSE have EVER done this to ANY of my other PCs. Is that "justifiable reasoning" enough?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]xendrome[/nom]AKA: Time to scare people into buying our crappy product.[/citation]

People that need AV won't be getting one, it's usually:

A: "I'm smart enough to avoid all malware. Oh shi-"

B: "Virus? What's that?"

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I read this while uninstalling McAfee on machine #5 today alone (6 machines on friday and 6 more on thursay) because an Update breaks internet access.

zed273 you're not the only one.

[citation][nom]jdog2pt0[/nom]Been using McAfee for years. Nothing more wrong with it than any other Firewall/Anti-virus suite out there. You're just like those morons that flame Firefox without any justifiable reasoning.[/citation]Read my message above. I work with dozens of AV suites every day. McAfee and Kaspersky are the two worst culprits for totally screwing systems up. Count yourself lucky for having used it for years without issues.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]bummerman[/nom]keep your important files on a separate drive and installl free Malwarebytes to clean your bugs if you get them. Then, worst case-you spend a few hours reinstalling the operating system. Anybody that installs free bloatware on new comps and then harresses the user everytime they log in to make a purchase is scum[/citation]Unfortunately a single scanner isn't enough these days. You'll want your usual installed AV scanner, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Spybot, ESET Online Scanner (If you don't use NOD32 AV). If you want to go all out, add in Dr Web free scanner, TDSS Killer for a common rootkit (ironically from Kaspersky), House Call from Trend Micro and GMER rootkit scanner. Then to finish it off, make sure things are clean with Hijackthis.

The first 4 are usually enough, but if you're particularly bad (or good) at getting infected, use the rest listed.

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Lol i read that as McAfee it's the largest malware rise in four years... and i nodded after reading that title LOL! i hate how they try to get in my pc everytime that the useless piece of !@# at adobe ask me to download a new update!

[citation][nom]Nakal[/nom]Wait, McAfee can detect Malware!?!?[/citation]

Barely, McAfee, Kapersky and Norton are garbage. No I'm not pulling this out of my butt I work in IT and can tell you these AV programs are horrible. I use Avast and Malwarebytes and have had no problems.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Windows Firewall/Antivirus, thats what I use and put on computers on everything I manage for friends and family. Make it stupid proof, make it invisible, it updates on it's own and doesn't require any interaction as long as you schedule it to do scans, so you don't have to worry about that or if they kept up with the subscription for the paid AV's. If I had to build a computer for a friend tommrow I would put Google Chrome on that list as well because of the forced updates that are invisible to the normal user, and it just works. So it goes back to the whole stupid proof thing.

Been using MBAM (malwarebytes anti malware) for close to a year I think and it is almost to the same level of simplicity besides when there is a new version it requires a few clicks to make it download the new version which has kept me from putting it on the other PC's as I doubt my friends and family will bother to do that. Though it remains relatively invisible and works well with MSE once you put the exceptions in both programs and adds an extra layer of security.

G

And how many infections/attacks their products (usually the installers) are responsible for?
That would be the most pertinent information in their reports.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Step 1: Stay away from pron/dodgy music/video sites
Step 2: Add something to your hosts file
http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/
Step 3: Change your pop-up blocker to high (IE9)
Step 4: Ignore the comments stating that you 'need' another browser. You don't.
Step 5: Have two accounts on your computer, one admin, but run as the 'standard' account. Do it!

Done.

P.s. Hardly no-one will follow the above and then complain when they get hit by a virus.
P.P.s I wonder how much of that malware is specifically for the mac?

Been using McAfee for years. Nothing more wrong with it than any other Firewall/Anti-virus suite out there. You're just like those morons that flame Firefox without any justifiable reasoning.

Read my message above. I work with dozens of AV suites every day. McAfee and Kaspersky are the two worst culprits for totally screwing systems up. Count yourself lucky for having used it for years without issues.

There is a worst one of all, Norton anti virus has got to take the prize. McAfee takes second place and Kaspersky third. This is not to say that they are not good at protecting your computer but it is the other problems that they cause that is the issue.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]rds1220[/nom]Barely, McAfee, Kapersky and Norton are garbage. No I'm not pulling this out of my butt I work in IT and can tell you these AV programs are horrible. I use Avast and Malwarebytes and have had no problems.[/citation]
I know McAfee's terrible, Norton, not anymore. I don't know what version you work with, but Norton IS and 360 work very well, as far as security is concerned. Though they do suffer from odd glitches at times, and if i wasn't used to working with computers i don't think i could have got resolved them easily.

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

This is exactly what I thought, a scare tactic to sell more of their product.

While I personally don't like their product(s), to each his own.

It's time for government / crtc or whatever to make companies like anti-virus corp. / microsoft / java / flash and all software to be responsible for their crappy software.

Fix the problem to the root

Status
Not open for further replies.