McAfee Update is Shutting Down Windows XP PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
ZOMG, good thing we are lazy on with our update schedule!!!

I can only begin to grasp what nightmarish scenario this would have produced...

And the face of the higher managers...

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Awesome! Pay to have your computer ruined! That's why I use AVG or MS Security Essentials. Maybe they aren't perfect, but they're free, and both of them have successfully saved me a few times.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
McAfee should report itself as a virus that: Results in moderate to significant performance degredation on PCs that were running prior to its instalation.

Memoscorp

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
You don't need any anti-virus software if you have common sense. Don't open unknown file attachments, don't download unknown/sketchy files, don't visit unknown websites (unless you use Firefox with NoScript, but still).

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
[citation][nom]ncarlson[/nom]One of the reasons that I don't use antivirus software.[/citation]
That's one of the reasons I don't use windblows :p

norb8

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]That's one of the reasons I don't use windblows[/citation]

Your obviously a Mac user since any self respecting Linux user admits that Windows is the primary target for spyware and viruses because of its large user base.

Since your a Mac user, why don't you go to Starbucks and work on your novel or some hippy crap. Leave Toms Hardware to the big boys who can actually change their computer hardware and do something useful with it.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
So, uh, they didn't test the update on Windows XP SP3 then eh? Just went ahead and pushed it out? Because, you know, had they done any testing at all it would have crashed their computers and they wouldn't have released the update. College campuses and business across the country are at a standstill thanks to McAfee. Someone is in big trouble.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]That's one of the reasons I don't use windblows[/citation]
Cool. Oh, while you're at it, visit this site. "www.linuxappleandfreebsdOShavesecurityflawstoo-letmeproveit.com"

Get over the smug 'nothing can hurt my computer' attitude, unless you plan on never using the Internet for the rest of your life.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]norb8[/nom]Your obviously a Mac user since any self respecting Linux user admits that Windows is the primary target for spyware and viruses because of its large user base. Since your a Mac user, why don't you go to Starbucks and work on your novel or some hippy crap. Leave Toms Hardware to the big boys who can actually change their computer hardware and do something useful with it.[/citation]
Or more specifically, those who use their computers to work for a living. :p

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]norb8[/nom]Your obviously a Mac user since any self respecting Linux user admits that Windows is the primary target for spyware and viruses because of its large user base. Since your a Mac user, why don't you go to Starbucks and work on your novel or some hippy crap. Leave Toms Hardware to the big boys who can actually change their computer hardware and do something useful with it.[/citation]

What does it matter the reasoning for the excess viruses? Windows is more susceptible to getting viruses. There are a multitude of reasons why but those reasons don't really matter. There are less viruses for OS X. You have a much smaller chance of getting a virus on a Mac than you do on a PC. Case in point, the Mac Lab at UT is up and running. All the other computer labs including the engineering lab is still down.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
At my last job, we actually had McCrapee kill a bunch of production 98 machines. McCafee refused to fix the problem, saying 98 was no longer a viable OS. We happily dropped them and went to NOD.

At my current job, we dumped McCrapee and went to NOD because of bloat.

Even COMCAST has dumped their free McCrapee program and gone to Norton.

McCrapee's list of customers seems to be dwindling...

dvmoo7

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
We are working as fast as we can right now trying to repair our non-mission critical pc's across intel world wide. This is a serious issue. Looks like i will have to cancel wed wing night at the local watering hole tonight

jd91651

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2007
To those of you who said you don't need anti-virus software or that you don't use it. You are a danger to yourself and many other people on the web. I've gotten virus alerts just visiting common popular web sites. You re-open the page a few min later and no hit (because their virus scan got rid of it in the mean time). There is no such thing as a safe always virus free web site. By common, popular I mean places like amazon, extremetech even, toms. It happens.
[edit] Oh and by the way it doesn't even mean that that specific web site had the problem. It could be one of their advertising partners or other partner web sites.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]What does it matter the reasoning for the excess viruses? Windows is more susceptible to getting viruses. There are a multitude of reasons why but those reasons don't really matter. There are less viruses for OS X. You have a much smaller chance of getting a virus on a Mac than you do on a PC. Case in point, the Mac Lab at UT is up and running. All the other computer labs including the engineering lab is still down.[/citation]

More susceptible? No, more like MS OS have more to defend against, not that I am supporting McCrappee. Defending the security of Mac OS is like saying..."Well, surfers in the Gobi don't get attacked by nearly as many sharks as surfers in South Africa." What do you get when you crack a Mac box? You get someone's iTunes account info, and all the Alanis Morriestte you can download?

Status
Not open for further replies.