Question Mechanical keyboard not detecting in Gigabyte B550M Ryzen 5

Jun 3, 2024
Hello guys,

I hope you are doing well. I have a Durgod Taurus K320 mechanical keyboard that is not being detected on my PC (Windows 11), but it works fine on my Dell laptop (Windows 11) and MacBook Pro. It is a Type-C keyboard, and I am connecting it with a USB-C to USB-A cable. My mouse, cheap USB keyboard, and other peripherals are working fine, just not my mechanical keyboard.

Here is what I've tried so far:
  1. Updated/reinstalled USB drivers.
  2. Changed/modified power settings in Windows.
  3. Tried multiple cables and different adapters (USB-C to USB-A).
  4. Changed BIOS settings; enabled/disabled C-State, enabled/disabled CSM, enabled/disabled XHCI, enabled/disabled USB Legacy Support.
  5. Updated BIOS to F19.
  6. Updated keyboard firmware.
  7. Reset BIOS.
  8. Updated Windows.
  9. Updated all drivers to the latest versions.
  10. Tried on all USB ports.
Setup:
  • Windows 11
  • Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
  • Silverstone 650W 80+ Bronze power supply
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti
I am now out of options. I really like the keyboard. Any suggestions?

Jun 3, 2024
does the keyboard manufacturer offer drivers and/or control software for Windows 11 for this device?

and you've verified that these combinations of adapters and cables work on other systems?
Yes they offer software for this keyboard, but the problem is i cant even see the keyboard on Device Manager.

and you've verified that these combinations of adapters and cables work on other systems?
Yes these are working on my laptop.

btw thanks for the reply.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Can't see in Device Manager? Try this to give it a small nudge. Make sure it is connected. In Device Manager click on the top line for the entire PC. From the Action tab click on Scan for Hardware Changes to force Windows to find everything connected that IS working. See if the keyboard shows up under Keyboards.

You might also try connecting it to a USB2 port rather than USB3 just in case that makes a difference (It should not, but ??) The cable you are using should make no difference, but maybe try another in case the one is faulty.

Jun 3, 2024
and you've installed it?

i've seen some instances where devices needed to be detected by their own software and drivers/firmware loaded through secondary downloads in that software.
Yup installed it, it didnt find the keyboard either. :confused2:

image.png

Can't see in Device Manager? Try this to give it a small nudge. Make sure it is connected. In Device Manager click on the top line for the entire PC. From the Action tab click on Scan for Hardware Changes to force Windows to find everything connected that IS working. See if the keyboard shows up under Keyboards.

You might also try connecting it to a USB2 port rather than USB3 just in case that makes a difference (It should not, but ??) The cable you are using should make no difference, but maybe try another in case the one is faulty.
Yup, I can't see it in Device Manager. There is no sound of plug-in/plug-out; it's like it's dead. I've tried it with three different cables, and none of them is working. I also plugged it into all of the USB ports (USB 2.0 and 3.0). I even tried it with a USB-C to USB-C cable with a USB-C to A adapter. Nothing works! I have measured the voltage, and it's 5.1V, the same as in my Dell laptop, but it works there and not on my PC.

Last edited:
There is no sound of plug-in/plug-out; it's like it's dead...
while the system is running and you have a working keyboard plugged in;
try swapping out this new keyboard with the same USB port as that functioning device.

then open Control Panel > Device and Printers.
are any keyboards or unknown devices showing with an ❗?

if so, right-click and try 'Troubleshoot'. if that gets nowhere try Properties > Hardware tab > click Properties > Driver tab > click Update Driver.
if the automated search finds nothing you can try unpacking the keyboard software to a specific folder and point the driver search feature to this folder.

you can also try just choosing the 'Add a device' option in the top-left corner of the 'Devices and Printers' page.

you may also want to try booting up the computer with the keyboard already plugged in.
the POST search may be able to detect it as a generic keyboard.

Jun 3, 2024
while the system is running and you have a working keyboard plugged in;
try swapping out this new keyboard with the same USB port as that functioning device.

then open Control Panel > Device and Printers.
are any keyboards or unknown devices showing with an ❗?

if so, right-click and try 'Troubleshoot'. if that gets nowhere try Properties > Hardware tab > click Properties > Driver tab > click Update Driver.
if the automated search finds nothing you can try unpacking the keyboard software to a specific folder and point the driver search feature to this folder.

you can also try just choosing the 'Add a device' option in the top-left corner of the 'Devices and Printers' page.

you may also want to try booting up the computer with the keyboard already plugged in.
the POST search may be able to detect it as a generic keyboard.
I tried it as you said, swapping on both front/backpanel usb sockets nothing happened, but on front usb socket when i connect my working keyboard on one usb socket and mechanical keyboard on other my working keyboard disconnects for a second and reconnects, its like mechanical keyboard is drawing more power. is that make sense?

EDIT:
This is event log..

image.png

Last edited:

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Another possibility is the keyboard firmware may have an obscure compatibility problem with the motherboard chipset. Perhaps email Durgod and ask if they have an update. Ryzen 3000 is known to have strange USB compatibility issues which were only partially resolved with BIOS AGESA updates.

Reactions: 35below0
Jun 3, 2024
Another possibility is the keyboard firmware may have an obscure compatibility problem with the motherboard chipset. Perhaps email Durgod and ask if they have an update. Ryzen 3000 is known to have strange USB compatibility issues which were only partially resolved with BIOS AGESA updates.
I have already flashed my keyboard with QMK firmware, I know about the compatibility issues with Ryzen, I dont know where the issue is! lets see I have sent an email to durgod, i hope they will have something.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
I have already flashed my keyboard with QMK firmware, I know about the compatibility issues with Ryzen, I dont know where the issue is! lets see I have sent an email to durgod, i hope they will have something.
Sounds like you're on top of a lot of the potential issues. Last possibility is the presence of an actual hardware fault in either your keyboard or motherboard. Would be interesting to test the KB in another Ryzen desktop, if you had access. Another user here found their USB problems went away with turning XMP/DOCP off for their RAM.

(Edit: also try limiting the motherboard PCIe bus to 3.0 version.)

I have one specific SanDisk USB stick that refuses to work in my B550/3900X desktop, but is fine in everything else. It freezes the entire system when plugged in, and things return to normal when yanked. Besides that, every other USB device works properly in that 3900X system. Went through all the steps you did, to no effect. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: 35below0
Dec 31, 2023
Sounds like the notorious Ryzen buggy USB - happened to me until I swapped out both the 3600 CPU and the motherboard. However, with me it happened when using mass storage devices. I am convinced it is caused by insufficient power delivery through USB.