Medium level build

Sonorr

Honorable
Oct 11, 2016
Hey everyone!
I want to build a mid-level gaming PC (not the newest games in ultra setting, just something that can run current games in proper fashion), and was wondering if you could help me.
My current plans:
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB
HDD:Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Power supply:Cooler master elite power 600W (from previous PC, few months old)
CPU:Intel core i7-7700 (not really interested in overclocking, so I don't personally need the k version)
GPU:GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6GB GDDR5
RAM:Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133MHz or 2x4GB of the same, or DDR3L version (depending on motherboard, which I believe would cause lower clock speed, though for what I want to use it I doubt it would matter a lot)
Case, cooling depending on final build, not the most important, I don't need anything fancy anyway.
Now where I'm lost is the motherboard. Obviously I'd need something that can house the CPU, but the 1151 socket is pretty universal so that is not hard to achieve, but other than that I'm fairly unsure what to go for.
Also if there are any problems with my picks please do point them out.
Thank you in advance

Solution
Besides the Cooler Master Elite being a very low quality Tier 4 PSU. Everything else looks good. Personally, I'd replace it with a Tier 1 or Tier 2 unit for stable power delivery. It will work though.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Motherboard: You need a B250, H270, Q270 or Z270 chipset for that CPU. Any 100 series motherboards will need a BIOS update performed with a Skylake CPU before Kaby Lake can be used. The MSI B250M Mortar is a good budget motherboard.

Case: Without overclocking and those parts. Practically any case with dual 120mm fans will provide sufficient cooling. As long as the case is physically large enough to fit the GPU. Some of the really cheap cases are not deep enough. You could...
Better to get an i5. For games there will be less than 2% difference in performance vs the i7700. You cannot use ddr3 with the most recent Intel chips so get ddr4 unless you want a paperweight. As for the motherboard a good rule of thumb is list exactly what features you need. How many ports do you need and what kind, specific features? Etc. I always recommend getting a full ATM board vs micro atx or mini ITX due to upgradeability. Good brands IMOP are Asus, Gigabyte, Az.Rock, and to an extent MSI. Use part picked for conpativ8lty and focus at the 80 to 130 dollar RANGE for good quality

When I saw
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB
that was my first issue. You are looking for a budget build. Nothing too flashy. This is a gaming build. What does the SSD bring to the table? Quicker load times. Yes, it's normal to now include an SSD but at your price point you would be better served to put more mashed potatoes on your plate before you add the gravy. More ice cream before the cherry.

Lower end PSU. Not bad or great. Meh...

And then I ran smack dab into the 7700K. This is not a mid-level build. This looks like a streaming, gaming and editing build.

Then a 1060.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($119.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($374.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $959.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-10 12:11 EDT-0400

Yes, the card is about $130 more. The processor I picked for you will run cooler than the 7700 and is about $100 cheaper. I 86'd the SSD. That saves another $90. All I did was move some money around but I then significantly improved your gaming performance.

Yes you can add more RAM later. What about compatibility. There is no guarantee your current RAM will work with identical RAM. Yes, we've had more than a few people come here with identical RAM specs but they won't work together. Most likely it'll be fine. Usually is. Always? No. Trying to keep things simple with a 16GB kit.

Besides the Cooler Master Elite being a very low quality Tier 4 PSU. Everything else looks good. Personally, I'd replace it with a Tier 1 or Tier 2 unit for stable power delivery. It will work though.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Motherboard: You need a B250, H270, Q270 or Z270 chipset for that CPU. Any 100 series motherboards will need a BIOS update performed with a Skylake CPU before Kaby Lake can be used. The MSI B250M Mortar is a good budget motherboard.

Case: Without overclocking and those parts. Practically any case with dual 120mm fans will provide sufficient cooling. As long as the case is physically large enough to fit the GPU. Some of the really cheap cases are not deep enough. You could go small with an mATX cube style case or larger mid/full tower.

RAM: Will be DDR4. At least I don't know of any 200 series motherboards which accept DDR3. If you don't get a Z270 chipset anything over 2133 MHz is pointless unless it happens to be cheaper. As you are limited to 2133 MHz. Kingston, Corsair, Crucial, G.Skill are some good brands. There are others. Heatspreaders are mainly for looks.

I'd stick with the i7-7700. If anything you'll get an extra year or two out of it. By the way you can get an i7-7700K for $299 if you have a microcenter nearby. Plus save an additional $30 if you buy a motherboard at the same time. Pair it with a cheap heatsink since you aren't overclocking. You'll spend about the same in total for a faster CPU at stock speeds.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/472529/Core_i7-7700K_Kaby_Lake_42_GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor
http://www.microcenter.com/product/473035/PRIME_B250M-PLUS_LGA_1151_mATX_Intel_Motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/product/433772/Hyper_T2_Compact_CPU_Cooler_with_Dual_Looped_Direct_Contact_Heatpipes

Solution