Megaupload Successor Shut Down Before Debut

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
He should just move to Nigeria, change his target file size and call it "mi.ni" (geek note: I have no idea what country the .ni domain actually belongs to... but Nigeria seems to be so good at ignoring other internet transgressions, I figure they'll turn a blind - or bribed - eye to this one too).

Never used megaupload. Never will.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
If you want more government in your domestic life for other things, this is only a natural evolution of the state. You cant have government controlling healthcare and NOT try to be controlling other things. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

Government is bad news folks. No news here.

asdfaf

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
[citation][nom]Wamphryi[/nom]I think Kim Dotcom needs to realize that the only reason why he is not in the hands of the US Authorities is because US/NZ Authorities screwed up the legal process. This would be because the US is operating in a Commonwealth West Minster Court System which is different at certain levels and NZ is not used to dealing with Copyright matters. He has not escaped because he is some legal genius / criminal mastermind who is above the law. He may yet end up in the hands of the US and gloating and boasting in the media will only make that more likely. Our Courts do not like looking like fools.[/citation]

but they are fools.....

cocosoy

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Yes, it's true that some people use Megaupload for legitimate business purpose. However, I think we all know the majority of its users use it for illegal file sharing/downloading.

Don't even try to justify it just because 1 out of 100 user used it for legitimate purpose. Who are you trying to BS anyway?

I loved Megaupload as much as the next guy, and I admit I used it to acquire a lot of copyrighted materials. But hey, the purpose of this site is to profit from sharing copyrighted materials, there is NO WAY you can justify that.

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]idono[/nom]Apperently you guys miss the point on why megaupload was so great. It's not because you could upload illegal files to it. It's because it was a great sharing platform for buisness aswell. I know several people that were using it to share buisness related files and content to their customers. Now it's gone and they have to use more expensive services with far less capacity and bandwith.[/citation]
But they don't care that it was being funded, etc, by people uploading pirated content and getting paid to do it, etc, right?

Turn the blind eye as long as you're not doing it, it doesn't matter, right?

Sorry, they were morons if they used it for business, knowing that it was being used for pirated stuff.

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Megaupload removed many illegal uploads as requested, so that argument just went under for you. Whether or not they removed enough of them is questionable, but has not been proven nor disproved. Innocent until proven guilt, remember?Doesn't matter because they're doing just fine right now and have been for quite some time. Most "legal issues" have been indirect attacks against them in the form of getting court orders for ISPs to block DNS look-ups for some of their domains, not much that actually matters. Insults won't get you anywhere.[/citation]Funny - the payments and emails he sent to people to upload pirated content to get more people visiting, earning him more money, pretty much makes him guilty.

[citation][nom]marthisdil[/nom]Funny - the payments and emails he sent to people to upload pirated content to get more people visiting, earning him more money, pretty much makes him guilty.[/citation]

Where's the proof? I'm not saying that he must be guilty, but I've never even heard of any such proof, just speculation and accusations. That they'd continually delete such uploads doesn't support your case very well, although I suppose that how long they sometimes took to get around to that may help your case. Still, it's not proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.