Mellanox ConnectX-3 QSFP+ to Myriacom 10gbe SFP+

Aug 9, 2018
I’m trying to find the right way to connect the two. So many cables and adapters.

I’ve got Mellanox ConnectX-3’s
In my windows workstations and myriacom 10gbe SFP+ in my MacOS workstations. Can’t get them connected yet.

I’ve tried a few cables, with no luck.

The latest was qsfp+ to qfsp+ 10gbe cable. I thought that would do the trick, but the two cards aren’t talking.

I’ve spent hours researching, conflicting protocols, conflicting things I’ve been told. Can someone help me settle this?

Also open to a qfsp+ 40gbe that is MacOS compatible for under $500. Haven’t found one yet. I thought the mellanox would do it, but I can’t find drivers.

Suggestions?

Aug 9, 2018
I started out with the cable you linked. That’s when I confused myself and I’ve been confused since.

I misspoke in my first post.

I have 3 Workstations with Mellanox ConnectX-3, Two Mac Workstations with the Myricom 10GBE - correction is that it is QSFP, not SFP. And one thunderbolt enclosure with a separate myricom 10gbe.

The Mellanox and Myricom are both QSFP. I thought the qfsp+ cables could be used with qsfp cards.

I bought the cable mentioned above and then read it doesn’t work for my intended use case.

I then purchased qfsp+ to qsfp+ passive copper DAC cable. Those don’t work from Mellanox connect-x to Mellanox connect-x, or Mellanox connect-x to myricom qsfp 10gbe.

So, I purchased a QSFP To QSFP 10Gb 1M Passive Infiniband Cable. These didn’t work either.

I thought for sure the qsfp to qsfp 10g cable would work.

Aug 9, 2018
Ideally, I’m trying to connect the workstations with the Mellanox with 40gbe. And the Mac Workstations myricom to Mellanox with 10gbe, eventually 40gbe.

Starting to think consumer 10gbe nic May be better, but hoping for a solution to the current.

kanewolf

Titan
My first google search for a Mellanox connectx is an infiniband card. You CAN run IP over IB.

I have not used Mellanox IB cards so I can't provide much help. Your problems could be drivers, incompatibility of a card to recognize an off brand cable, or just incompatibility of the configurations of the various cards.

Aug 9, 2018
Thanks for the reply. At the very least, I know two windows workstations should be able to link up with the Mellanox Connect.

The protocol is IP over infiniband.

I went through the driver setup a few times. Initially, it needed more, and windows told me that.

Plugged two workstations in to each other and it shows Xdisconnected cable or device on the other end not responding.

I found a few setup tutorials that I’m going to watch today