Question Mellanox SN2410 MLAG behavior ?

Mar 19, 2024
I’m trying to configure MLAG to a pair of Mellanox SN2410 as leaf switches. I would say this is my first experience with the model and even with MLAG configuration. It was configured based on this: MLAG

I’ve done the config and everything looks great on the redundancy and fault tolerance part. But something is a bit weird when both IPL ports (configured as a port channel) are brought down during my testing. From what I’ve read, if both IPL ports are down, the standby switch will set its MLAG port channel (MPO) to down while the master would leave its to up state.

However, what I’ve noticed is even though the non-MPO port operational state shown as up on the standby switch, but in reality the traffic doesn’t really goes through them. Should the non-MPO really be up while the only the MPOs should be down on the standby switch?

I'm not sure whether my question really falls into the consumer category, maybe more into enterprise. I've tried asking from other forums but still haven't come to a conclusion. Hope you all can help me with this. Thank you.

kanewolf

Titan
I’m trying to configure MLAG to a pair of Mellanox SN2410 as leaf switches. I would say this is my first experience with the model and even with MLAG configuration. It was configured based on this: MLAG

I’ve done the config and everything looks great on the redundancy and fault tolerance part. But something is a bit weird when both IPL ports (configured as a port channel) are brought down during my testing. From what I’ve read, if both IPL ports are down, the standby switch will set its MLAG port channel (MPO) to down while the master would leave its to up state.

However, what I’ve noticed is even though the non-MPO port operational state shown as up on the standby switch, but in reality the traffic doesn’t really goes through them. Should the non-MPO really be up while the only the MPOs should be down on the standby switch?

I'm not sure whether my question really falls into the consumer category, maybe more into enterprise. I've tried asking from other forums but still haven't come to a conclusion. Hope you all can help me with this. Thank you.
This is a very specific question about an enterprise switch. This may not be the best forum to get help.
serverthehome has a Mellanox switch forum.
Nvidia has a networking forum.
Those are more likely to have someone with those specific switch experience.