Question Memory can run in dual channel but only half can be used

Jun 29, 2020
I've recently received all of my components for my pc. It consists of a Ryzen 5 2600, Msi b450-a pro max, and 16gb of corsair cmk16gx4m2b3200c16.

When I installed everything, it posted, but in bios, it showed 16gb of ram and only half of the ram capacity is usable. Same thing in windows, but shows it as hardware reserved. I've seen many people have similar issues and have tried those solutions, but nothing seems to be working.

The ram works in slots a1 and a2 in single-channel and detects all 16gb of it. Doesn't work in slots b1 and b2. Ram is detected in the recommended slots of a2 and b2, but the issue as I've mentioned in the beginning. I've tried some other ram as well and get the same issue. The motherboard does have Ez-led lights to detect problems, and the light turns on for memory when in the configurations mentioned that don't work.
On Msi's support site for the motherboard, the ram kit isn't listed in the compatibility list, yet I've seen other people get this configuration to work.

When I did receive my ryzen processor, it did have some bent pins on the edges due to shipping but was able to bend them back in place and works in the pc. The motherboard was bought from amazon warehouse in a used-very good condition where it said, "item comes in original packaging. packaging will be damaged." I assumed that the motherboard would be fine since it looks brand new to me. The ram I bought off of eBay and asked the seller if it would work with ryzen and he said that it would.

Not sure else I can do. I can return the motherboard or try to buy a compatible kit recommended from Msi's compatibility list and test it, but otherwise don't have anything else to try. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: