[SOLVED] Memory Frequency greyed out with XMP enabled (Gigabyte motherboard)

cullenmccormick

Reputable
Jan 31, 2018
I recently had to replace one of my two 3200hz memory sticks after it crapped out on me and I noticed that the new stick of RAM sent to me from Gigabyte is running at 2133hz instead of 3200hz. I had this problem when I first built my computer a few years ago, but was able to fix it after enabling XMP in bios. Now, XMP is still enabled, but the new stick is set to 2133hz and the Change Memory Frequency option is greyed out. I don't have too much experience with bios, so I'm not sure what to do from here. I am using a Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 and two Trident Z 8GB DDR4-3200hz memory sticks for reference. Any advice is appreciated!

Solution
XMP is still enabled, but the new stick is set to 2133hz and the Change Memory Frequency option is greyed out.
XMP stands for extreme memory profile. When a profile (set of settings) is used, things are set according to the profile. To set things manually, use a manual setting instead of a profile.
How you managed to get a stick of RAM sent to you from Gigabyte is questionable. RAM manufacturers RMA policy is for you to return the full kit if a DIMM is faulty. Reason being the difference in Latency and that is why RAM kits are binned at the factory to conform. It's doubtful an XMP profile would work with your combo.
List the P/N of you RAM?