LiquidFlame

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Yes, another question about what type of memory I should get, sorry. Don’t get me wrong though, I have done my research and looked at a lot of forums, but I can not find any good post that actually describes what you need to look for in memory. That said, the only thing that I have taken from most post is that CL is a big deal, which I understand is the timing, but I don’t know what timing is better then the other and what timing I need for my rig. The rig I do plan on building is C2D e6600, eVGA 680i motherboard, eVGA 8800 GTX. Right now I’m stuck on deciding on the memory. I have read that basically Corsair and OCZ are my best options, but I have also read that OCZ has issues with C2D, is this true? I also know that I want to get 2gb(2x1gb) DDR2 800 memory. Any help would be great, even pointing me to other sources. Whatever you do suggest, please explain why you suggest that type of memory. If you need any other information, just let me know. Thanks in advance.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
In all fairness to OCZ I have not heard of any issues with their memory and C2D. That sounds like a blanket statement I would need to see proof of before I believed it. There are a finite number of IC types and brands in the world and OCZ uses what everyone else does pretty much. Right now, the best quality memory, regardless of brand uses the Micron D9 ICs.

A little bit more information would help here. Do you plan to OC and if so, how muc would you like to achieve? Based on what you have learned, do you plan to run at a "lower" speed such as DDR800 and with tight latencies or, at "higher" speeds such as DDR1066+ and use higher latencies? Do you have a budget established?

mpjesse

Splendid
OCZ and Corsair are both excellent choices. I haven't heard of any C2D issues w/ OCZ either... sounds like B.S. to me.

I personally have owned both Corsair and OCZ. Right now i'm using ocz.

Criminal89

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
OCZ and Corsair are both good choices, but the main thing is to make sure yhou are getting memory that uses Micron chips. I orginally had some OCZ DDR2 800 that were Promo chips and they only gave me problems when I tried to overclock my computer. I decided to replace the ram with a Corsair Dominator DDR2 800 kit and before my order shipped I found out that they were using Promo chips as well. So I cancelled that order and I ordered a set Team Xtreem memory, because they come without heat spreaders installed and I could tell that they were in fact Micron chips.

McParty

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Is there a way to tell if Ram Chips are being made with the Micron D9 chips?? Is there a list somewhere??

I did find this but not sure what it is telling me? Are the ones listed in Green the ones that are Micron D9's?? So those would be the ones to look for?? Also not sure how updated the list is.
http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

Thanks,

McParty

LiquidFlame

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
At the moment I do not plan on OC, but I would like to have the option in the future if I decide to. I would like to not spend over $300 if that is possible. I don't really know a lot about the latency stuff, that's where I hoped you guys would come in and help me out. My rig would be used for mostly hard core gaming, along with dvd burning and the usual stuff, but mostly gaming.

LiquidFlame

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
At the moment I do not plan on OC, but I would like to have the option in the future if I decide to. I would like to not spend over $300 if that is possible. I don't really know a lot about the latency stuff, that's where I hoped you guys would come in and help me out. My rig would be used for mostly hard core gaming, along with dvd burning and the usual stuff, but mostly gaming.

Criminal89

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
The one's in the Red and Green are the recommended modules to look for. The reason I chose the Team Xtreem memory is because they use Micron chips and since the heat spreader is not installed, you can read the information off of the chips.

McParty

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Where did you find the team Xtreme memory, I have seen that one before. Also...does Sli ready make a difference?? I will be running SLi.

OK, since I posted this I have only found two places, Tank Guys in the US and emvee in Canada. Not cheap stuff by any means!

LiquidFlame

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Does anyone else have any suggestions on what type of memory I should get? Also I read somewhere that now people are not that happy about the Dominator, I don't remember the reason, but has anyone heard of anything like this?

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Here's the Dominator complaint, and it does not apply to the PC8500 and up. It only applied to the PC6400 rev 2.0 and 2.1.

Good luck with your memory purchase, regardless of what brand you choose! 8)

LiquidFlame

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I'm leaning more towards this one: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory. What do you guys think. Also I was wondering, I went to corsair webstie and besides the one i mentioned above, they also recommended two other memory kits for the eVGA 680i, the TWIN2X2048-8500C5D, and the TWIN2X2048-9136C5D. The only real difference I could see was in their latency time. I'm confused isn't 4-4-4-12-2T better then 5-5-5-15-2T. Just trying to figure things out cause I thought the lower the numbers the better. Thanks

Criminal89

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Well, I have already had a discussion with one of the Corsair reps about the Dominator ram. As far as I am concerned it is overrated. My best friend has the Dominator 8500c5d kit and he cannot touch my 4-4-4-5 timings @ 800 MHZ and 2.4 volts (Much less at 2.1 volts like I am using.) :) Save your money and get Crucial. Crucial is guaranteed to use Micron chips because Micron owns them.

Criminal89

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Why doesn't all the Dominator ram use Micron chips? Shouldn't the Dominator ram that uses the Promo chips have different color heat spreaders or at least a sticker that says Crap Inside. That way, some unsuspecting noob will know what he/she is actually buying. :twisted:

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Why doesn't all the Dominator ram use Micron chips? Shouldn't the Dominator ram that uses the Promo chips have different color heat spreaders or at least a sticker that says Crap Inside. That way, some unsuspecting noob will know what he/she is actually buying. :twisted:
It's all in the link above.

LiquidFlame

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
So from what I'm gathering is my best bet is Crucial because their defiantly going to be using the micron D9 chips. Newegg only has one Crucial that is DDR2 2GB(2x1GB) memory kit Link, is this the only one that I can get, and is it also a pretty good kit. Also has anyone used this memory kit with the eVGA 680i motherboard. If you have please tell me if it is compatible and if it works fine. Thanks