Question Memory issue, doesnt run above 2400mhz, please help, FRUSTRATING :(

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
So i've had these hyperx fury rgb memory modules rated at 3200mhz for about 6 months now and i had the same issue when i first got them and its just that they will never work above 2400mhz and if i raise the frequency above 2400mhz , even at 2666mhz , my pc would not post and take me back to the bios screen stating that it had failed to post because of instability. i somehow got them to work at 3000mhz for a few months using 1.38 dram voltage and a timing of 16-18-18-18-36 and a trfc of 460 and a trc of 57 or 58 , and rtt_nom set to rzq/7 and rtt_park set to rzq/5 and rtt_wr set to disabled along with power down mode set to disabled, i had to do all this to get it running at that speed, jus why does this even happen anyways , but well now it doesnt even run at anything above 2400mhz even with the settings above... WHYY :(

pc specs-
asus prime b450mk
ryzen 5 3400g @4.2 ghz
rx vega 11 @ 1700mhz
hyperx fury rgb rated at 3200mhz but cant even run above 2400mhz
some random 1tb hdd
500w 83+ psu (zalman wattbit)

please help me if u can, im so frustrated, my bios is on the latest version too, this issue just suddenly happened like i havent even done anything :( , it happened after i changed my vega 11's freuqency to 1660mhz and then my pc failed to post but it posted later on with 1700mhz for the vega 11 and the ram couldnt be set to 3000 again and never to 3200mhz , i reset the bios countless times and finally i dont think the graphics relate anyway to the ram... and again, please help if u can this is just so frustrating.

You can raise the voltage to ~1.4-1.45v on the dram (it might not let you go past 1.4v) and set the SOC voltage to 1.1 or even 1.2v in bios in order to help run the ram at 3200mhz.

Overall its not surprising to see this. I have had some issues on Ryzen 3xxx APUs imcs before, my guess is they are lower tier silicon. The low end B450 probably isn't helping either.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
You can raise the voltage to ~1.4-1.45v on the dram (it might not let you go past 1.4v) and set the SOC voltage to 1.1 or even 1.2v in bios in order to help run the ram at 3200mhz.

Overall its not surprising to see this. I have had some issues on Ryzen 3xxx APUs imcs before, my guess is they are lower tier silicon. The low end B450 probably isn't helping either.
alright 1.4 seems too much voltage , and my soc voltage was at 1.25v , so is the issue with the motherboard? or with the ram :(

It's not having two sticks that is bad, it's buying two sticks separately and expecting them to work together that is bad.
Memory sold in a 2-stick or 4-stick set it guaranteed to work as a set. Buying sticks separately carries no such guarantee.

The labels on each of the memory packages should be good enough, yes.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
i actually updated the bios after the problem had happened which reset all the clocks and everything but the same problem still happens.. :(
the problem happened even b4 i updated the bios , so the bios doesnt relate

If they run at 2400 without problems , consider yourself lucky.
Mixing memory is a crap shot from 2 seperate packages.
This issue comes up so much a member made a page explaining it so we do not have to do it every time.

Have a read through this guide. You will understand a little more about memory and how to get the best out of what you have. Your unmatched memory modules might not ever run on your cpu @ 3200 speeds. Your processor supports up to 2933 with matched pairs.
You might get 2933 with your modules , but might have to do a lot of memory timing adjustments to get there.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
I will be around for a while and many other members are very knowledgeable also.
It is much easier to point you to this guide than try to explain how memory works and its intricacies in so many memory posts.
thanks for the help, i'll see what i can do about this now , atleast i know the problem , i kept thinking its the motherboard, and well with the high gpu prices rn i really wanna get the most out of this vega 11 0-0

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Have you tried seeing what you get with one stick of ram installed? Try both separately.

Can you give us a screenshot of both memory and spd tabs from Cpuz please
Yes, sure thing , i'll try to .
Sorry for thr late reply i just woke up .
And nope i havent tried them one stick at a time , i'll try that rn.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Time zone differences all good.

Trying one stick could tell you if the two don't like each other. Ram can be finicky fussy individuals.
I tried both of them one at a time but i still couldnt get either of them to run at a speed higher than 2400mhz even with adjusted ram timings ... i really wonder what the problem is rn :(

Last edited: