[SOLVED] Memory Issues

Malafor

Reputable
May 1, 2016
Hi All,
I am having some memory problems or could it be my mobo.
Sys Specs.
ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
Ryzen 7 2700x
16 gig G Skill Trident z 3200mhz
About 2 weeks ago i had 6 power cuts in about 30 mins so my pc was on then off and would restart its self due to the power cuts only lasting a few seconds.
After the last power my pc would'nt start and i worked out my main hdd had died i thought ok i would put my os ( win 10 ) on an ssd and all seemed fine pc started ok etc.
Then i noticed my ram speed was only running at 1600mhz but still showed 16gig So i rebooted in bios and my settings had'nt changed and memory was set to run at 3200mhz.
So i thought i would remove the dimms and just check that they were seated ok in B2-A2 and i swapped them round booted into bios again check settings were ok then went into windows.
Then i check my ram speed ( i used task manager and cpu-z ) and it showed only 8 gigs so i swapped them back again and it showed 16gig at 1600mhz.
I then bought another new 16 gig skill trident z and tried but got the same results.
Could it be the mobo went faulty with the power cuts ?
Or am i missing something ?
Any Help or info would be great.
And thanks in advanced for your help.

Solution
If CPU-z "Memory" tab says ~1600 MHz under "DRAM Frequency", then your RAM are running 3200 MHz. You don't need any other tools to confirm it, that's your definitive answer.

You may find an app that says 3200MHz while another one only reads 1600 MHz at the same time. Both readings are correct for running RAM at 3200MHz, as explained above.

Malafor

Reputable
May 1, 2016
If you're looking at the DRAM frequency in CPUZ and it says 1600MHz it's totally normal. Your ram is working in dual channel. That's 1600 times 2 = 3200MHz.

If the DRAM frequency was at 800 it would have been 1600.

You're fine.

Thanks for reply.
But if i remember in Task Manager it did say speed was 3200mhz but now it only says 1600mhz.
So i am a little confused lol

...Your ram is working in dual channel. That's 1600 times 2 = 3200MHz.

This is not correct.

Running RAM in dual, tripple or quad channel does not affect RAM frequency

However, DDR stands for Double Data Rate - this means the DDR RAM sends twice the amount of data than SDRAM (Single Data RAM), which is why you double the frequency to find the effective clock.

The frequency of 1600 MHz you see, is the base frequency / the actual clock. 3200MHZ is the effective clock.

Taskmanger and other monitoring apps just repeat the data they are fed, and since some motherboards report actual clock / base frequency, other reports effective clock. This is not always the same between different motherboard manufacturers.

You can have differtent apps on the same system that shows either of the two frequencies, and both are correct.
This can indeed be very confusing, but as mentioned in scout_03's post above, CPU-z always report the base frequency, which you then multiply by two.

Use CPU-z if you want to be absolutely certain what frequency your RAM are operating at.

Last edited:
This is not completely correct. Running RAM in dual, tripple or quad channel does not affect RAM frequency

However, DDR stands for Double Data Rate - this means the RAM sends twice the amount of data as SDRAM.

The frequency of 1600 MHz you see, is the base frequency / the actual clock. 3200MHZ is the effective clock.

Taskmanger and other monitoring apps just repeat the data they are fed, and since some motherboards report actual clock / base frequency, other reports effective clock. This is not always the same between different motherboard manufacturers.

You can have differtent apps on the same system that shows either of the two frequencies, and both are correct.
This can indeed be very confusing, but as mentioned in scout_03's post above, CPU-z always report the base frequency, which you then multiply by two.

Use CPU-z if you want to be absolutely certain.

I know. I was just talking about the section in CPUZ DRAM Frequency. I did not say anything else. Take that and times 2. That's it. That's the only thing I meant.

No, but you said that the two modules OP has are running at 3200MHZ because two1600 MHz modules running in dual channel means you double the frequency.

That is not correct.

You are correct that the base frequency is doubled, but you base it on the wrong reason, which is why I quoted that part only of your complete post.

You duble the frequency because they are Double Data Rate RAM modules. One of OPs stick of RAM would still be runnning at 3200MHz in single channel, or quad channel and so on. It would still display a base frequency of 1600MHz and an effective clock of 3200Mhz regardles of what channel configuration OP is running.
The number of RAM modules is also irrelevant to the RAM speed.

Dual channel has nothing to do with it, being DDR modules does.

Last edited:
No, but you said that the two modules OP has are running at 3200MHZ because two1600 MHz modules running in dual channel means you double the frequency.

That is not correct.

You are correct that the base frequency is doubled, but you base it on the wrong reason, which is why I quoted that part only of your complete post.

You duble the frequency because they are Double Data Rate RAM modules. One of OPs stick of RAM would still be runnning at 3200MHz in single channel, or quad channel and so on. It would still display a base frequency of 1600MHz and an effective clock of 3200Mhz regardles of what channel configuration OP is running.
The number of RAM modules is also irrelevant to the RAM speed.

Dual channel has nothing to do with it, being DDR modules does.

I know. I did not check what I wrote and you're right. Let me correct what I said. I have no idea why I wrote dual channel there when I wanted to say DDR. Thanks for the correction.

I read your post and I reacted to the part I quoted from that very same post. I'm not putting words into anyone's mouth, it is right there in your own writing.

I never said you were wrong about doubling the base clock, I just commented on the reason you provided for doubling the base clock, as that wasn't correct.

Maybe you meant something else, I don't know, I can only go by what you actually wrote.

But this doesn't really help OP much, so instead of turning OPs post into unrelated bickering, I'll leave it here ;)

I read your post and I reacted to the part I quoted from that very same post. I'm not putting words into anyone's mouth, it is right there in your own writing.

I never said you were wrong about doubling the base clock, I just commented on the reason you provided for doubling the base clock as that wasn't correct.
Maybe you meant something else, I don't know, but I can only go by what you actually wrote.

But this doesn't really help OP much, so instead of turning OPs post into unrelated bickering, I'll leave it here ;)

I deleted my last post because I realized you were right and I did a mistake. I had a brain fart it seems :) After 25 years of building PC I have no idea why I said that. :) I don't like giving inaccurate information so thanks again.

Malafor

Reputable
May 1, 2016
Thanks to all for ur posts.
So am i taking from this that all is ok ?
AS i said before am sure task mamager said 3200.
Is there any other way to test that my ram is running at 3200mhz ?
Thanks again

If CPU-z "Memory" tab says ~1600 MHz under "DRAM Frequency", then your RAM are running 3200 MHz. You don't need any other tools to confirm it, that's your definitive answer.

You may find an app that says 3200MHz while another one only reads 1600 MHz at the same time. Both readings are correct for running RAM at 3200MHz, as explained above.

Last edited:
Solution

Malafor

Reputable
May 1, 2016
Hi, Ok it does say 1596.2 dual channel so all is gd then :)
Thanks to all for ur help and saving me money as i was going to but another mobo.
Now i can save a little more for a grapgic card :)
Cheers All