[SOLVED] Memory leaks in game causing things to freeze and SSD usage is 100% ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OUTBURSTPAL

Prominent
Apr 23, 2021
So ever since a couple of weeks ago I suddenly started getting freezes in games when trying to load into for example a map or a cutscene. It could be re created at the same point, so it’s not always intermittent, but it can be. When it freezes, my SSD usage goes to 100% but appears to be doing nothing. RAM stays normal. Technically the system is still responsive as I can move my cursor, but most applications will freeze up and I cannot restart unless I hard reset. Smells like a memory leak to me. But why does it only happen in games? Never in anything else? I have reinstalled the OS (not a complete fresh install, just a simple reinstall without getting rid of anything) and that didn’t fix it. This will happen on games installed on either one of my two SSDs, so it’s not the drive that’s the issue. This is definitely not a hardware issue right? Would a complete reinstall of the OS, and everything fix this? Here is a video example of what happens.

Last edited:
Solution
i don't think its a memory leak, not if its not eating ram. Most of them caused by drivers and they can't run anywhere apart from ram

Could use Process Explorer instead of resource monitor or task manager though have to download it
Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = Ram + page file usage
Working set = actual ram usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems.

if...

OUTBURSTPAL

Prominent
Apr 23, 2021
I just realised my instructions I linked are for Process Monitor, not Process Explorer. Blames Sysinsternals for the confusion.
Here’s what I did as I thought this would be my very last option. I completely wiped my 2nd SSD, and did a fresh USB install of windows 11 onto it. And guess what? Same issue. So this pretty much removes the idea of it being the original OS drive doesn’t it? But here’s the thing: I didn’t remove the original OS SSD from the PC. I kept it in. Could that still have caused the crash if that drive is problematic even though nothing was running off that SSD? And vice versa with the 2nd SSD? Please answer me ASAP. I feel like there is nothing that can be done to fix it. It’s not my RAM, is it? Whatever it is, it’s obvious it’s a hardware issue. But I doubt it’s the RAM as it’s pretty new and ran fine for 2 months after I got it until this issue started happening.

D

Deleted member 14196

but you never tested ram, each stick individually with memtest86 so you are guessing its not ram when it could be