Memory Posting at 3GB - Yes I have Vista 64

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Pretty weird problem. My system was running fine with 2GB and I was playing with some overclocking settings and such. I was having some stability problems but ironed most of them out. Today I just got 2 more GB of the same memory. Ran fine out of the box, posted at 4GB just fine.

Again I started messing with my BIOS settings and my system was a bit unstable. I think it was mostly my Vcore but got that figured out. In the end I figured my system runs just fine and I can't tell the difference between my overclocked settings and stock settings and decided to revert back to default.

BUT I noticed that my RAM was posting at 3GB (3008mb) and I can't figure out why. I went into the BIOS and set everything on default, and still having the same problem. I tried taking out 2GB, thinking one went bad, and it posted just fine and then I tried the other 2GB and posted just fine.

After fiddling with it for an hour I just ran out of ideas and this is where I turn to you guys.

Any suggestions?

lp231

Splendid

I second that, The Asus P5K series calls it Memory remap feature, for yours it may be diffferent so
check your manual.

To get your full 4 gig you need

64 bit os.
64 bit CPU
Motherboard which supports memory remapping - I think on most systems you must turn remapping on in the BIOS. It is not on by default. As was mentioned above. On my ASUS board it is called 'memory remapping'. It was a 'chipset' feature under "north bridge', IIRC.

Chipset>northbridge>memory remapping Yours may of course be in a different location but hopefully it will be in a similar category