j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
I'm looking at picking up a Ryzen 9 5900x or a 5 5600x and pairing it with some Corsair dominator platinum memory. I've been reading, but I don't completely understand how to best match memory speed with the CPU. In reading it sounded like a consensus of a good memory speed for one of these CPUs would be 3600MHz. But it looks like I can get a better deal if I go for a lower speed like 3200MHz.

How can I best go about choosing a good memory speed for my CPU?
Is 2 or 4 sticks better or even make a difference? (for example 2x 16GB modules vs 4x 8GB moduels)

In case a little additional context is helpful, I'm planning on using an MSI Tomawak x570 MB as well. I've done some overlocking of my CPU and GPU, but not memory, but I'm willing to try.

Solution
By deal I assume you mean getting a better price(not performance ratio). With that, there are folks who review and diligently test what higher clocked memory and tight latencies do for the Ryzen platform, to date, the sweet spot for ram on the Ryzen 3000 and 5000 series of processors is DDR4-3600MHz. If you have a lot of money to spend, then you can pick up DDR4-4000MHz and above rams but for people trying to squeeze the most out of their investments, then DDR4-3600MHz costs about as much as DDR4-3200MHz.

You could also pick out DDR4-3200MHz rams but with tight timings on them to offset the lower frequency.

The advertised memory frequency overclock is DDR4-4600MHz.

Lutfij

Titan
By deal I assume you mean getting a better price(not performance ratio). With that, there are folks who review and diligently test what higher clocked memory and tight latencies do for the Ryzen platform, to date, the sweet spot for ram on the Ryzen 3000 and 5000 series of processors is DDR4-3600MHz. If you have a lot of money to spend, then you can pick up DDR4-4000MHz and above rams but for people trying to squeeze the most out of their investments, then DDR4-3600MHz costs about as much as DDR4-3200MHz.

You could also pick out DDR4-3200MHz rams but with tight timings on them to offset the lower frequency.

The advertised memory frequency overclock is DDR4-4600MHz.

Solution