[SOLVED] Memory speed is lower than set value

May 25, 2020
Hi,

I recently discovered that my memory speed is lower than the set value. I have a 2x16GB 3200 MHz kit but in CPU-Z the DRAM frequency shows only 1400 MHz (so 2800 being in dual channel mode). In BIOS the frequency also shows as 2800 Mhz (in the monitoring section, not where it is set), so the same as CPU-Z. In windows task manager, in Performance->Memory the speed is shown as 3200MHz.

Specs:
GIGABYTE AORUS Z370 Gaming K3
Core i7 8700K
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit
(not sure if anything else is relevant for this)

I am running Windows 10 Home Edition, I have the XMP profile set in BIOS, no overclock on the CPU. I am not experiencing any issues with the PC other than seeing that the memory speed is lower. Everything runs fine.

I already tried:
  • updating bios to latest version
  • moving RAM sticks to the other two slots of the motherboard (from the red slots to the grey ones)
  • disabling XMP and setting frequency, timings and voltage manually to the values advertised by the manufacturer
  • overclocking CPU to 4.8 GHz
None of these had any impact.

Are the momory sticks faulty or is it another component which is bottle-necking the speed/faulty configuration? Am I losing any performance because of the lower speed? I did my fair bit of searching but wasn't able to identify the problem.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Try just one memory module and see if you can get that working at the speeds you want. Then swap it out for the other module and repeat. This will validate that you don't have a bad module. If neither module can even when running solo, you may have a bad memory socket.

Also be sure to only remove and replace memory modules after completely removing the power cord and making sure there is no power in the system by pressing the power button on the front repeatedly until nothing happens--the voltage left even after unplugging your power cord can damage the memory and other components if you work on them with any power flowing.

Lutfij

Titan
One thing to clear out, with using DDR, you always multiply the number you see in CPU-Z by two, because of dual data rate, not because you're in dual channel mode. If you used one stick of ram and came up with 1400, which would be 2800MHz would you still be in dual channel mode? No.

That being said, which BIOS version are you on at the moment? You should also be on version 20H2 for your OS.

As last resort, you can disconnect from the wall and remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes before replacing it. See if you're able to manually input the ram timings, frequency and voltage in BIOS.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

May 25, 2020
Thanks for the info, PSU is a Thermaltake Smart RGB 600W, about a year and a half old, BIOS version is F15a, Windows version is 20H2.

I already tried setting timing, frequency and voltage in BIOS. I went with 1.35V, 16-18-18-36 and 3200. I was only able to manually set timings for channel A though. Settings for channel B were grayed out.

Will try removing CMOS battery for half an hour and come back with the result.

May 25, 2020
Will try removing CMOS battery for half an hour and come back with the result.

Having the PC unplugged and battery removed for half an hour did not change anything either. On first boot it was reset to 2133 MHz and after I re-enabled the XMP profile it got back to 2800 MHz. I also removed the Gigabyte apps (EasyTune, EasyTuneEngineService, App Center) even though I didn't change anything within them with no luck.

Try just one memory module and see if you can get that working at the speeds you want. Then swap it out for the other module and repeat. This will validate that you don't have a bad module. If neither module can even when running solo, you may have a bad memory socket.

Also be sure to only remove and replace memory modules after completely removing the power cord and making sure there is no power in the system by pressing the power button on the front repeatedly until nothing happens--the voltage left even after unplugging your power cord can damage the memory and other components if you work on them with any power flowing.

Solution
May 25, 2020

I did this, both of them ran at 3200 MHz when they were the only ones inserted. Then I tried to boot with both and I had a really hard time. The PC didn't boot, it restarted a bunch of times before reaching the first splash screen with the aorus logo. The PC was running but I was getting no output on monitors. There was a blank screen with a random small white rectangle on it at some point. I held power button to shut down and after it turned off the LEDs on the motherboard were still on. I tried reseating the RAM and turned it on again and it was kind of the same thing, multiple resets then no signal on monitors. I then took out the CMOS battery and left it a few minutes, tried again, was able to enter bios and activate XMP and then it booted into windows. Now it runs at 3200 MHz with both sticks in, but I'm not sure what changed and if it'll be stable from now on or not. Do you have any ideas?

I did this, both of them ran at 3200 MHz when they were the only ones inserted. Then I tried to boot with both and I had a really hard time. The PC didn't boot, it restarted a bunch of times before reaching the first splash screen with the aorus logo. The PC was running but I was getting no output on monitors. There was a blank screen with a random small white rectangle on it at some point. I held power button to shut down and after it turned off the LEDs on the motherboard were still on. I tried reseating the RAM and turned it on again and it was kind of the same thing, multiple resets then no signal on monitors. I then took out the CMOS battery and left it a few minutes, tried again, was able to enter bios and activate XMP and then it booted into windows. Now it runs at 3200 MHz with both sticks in, but I'm not sure what changed and if it'll be stable from now on or not. Do you have any ideas?
If the motherboard leds were on when you removed the ram--then power was flowing and you probably damaged something. No telling what will work/not work anymore since it's damaged.

May 25, 2020
If the motherboard leds were on when you removed the ram--then power was flowing and you probably damaged something. No telling what will work/not work anymore since it's damaged.
No, no, you misunderstood, when I removed the RAM I made sure that I removed the power and pressed on the power button repeatedly to make sure. After the LEDs were still on I didn't remove the RAM directly, I first cut out all power which resulted in the LEDs to turn off and then tried reseating the RAM. I think I didn't make that clear enough in my reply.

I am still not sure what exactly happened but it's been a couple of days since that and I have no issues whatsoever when booting and playing games and the RAM is running at the expected speed of 3200MHz. I will just mark the answer which resulted in the memory to snap to the right speed.

Thank you all for your help!