Question Memory speed

BunnyK

Prominent
Dec 27, 2019
i bought a G.Skill Ripjaws 3200 MHz 2x8gb kit, but when i check in CPU-Z, it says it is 1000 MHz speed, is this normal since my computer was sitting idle, or should it be showing 3200 MHz even at idle?

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600x
Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
Zotac RTX 2060

P.S. I have already enabled the XMP profile

Also, slightly unrelated, but my memory timings are 16-16-16-38, should i manually adjust these to be lower, or would that be dangerous? i dont know much about overclocking

Last edited:

Starcruiser

Honorable
Your processor will affect the speed your ram can run at. Which one do you have?
Make sure XMP (for Intel) or if it's AMD whatever the board maker chose to call it is enabled so it can automatically adjust to a higher speed.

BunnyK

Prominent
Dec 27, 2019
Your processor will affect the speed your ram can run at. Which one do you have?
Make sure XMP (for Intel) or if it's AMD whatever the board maker chose to call it is enabled so it can automatically adjust to a higher speed.
I have already set the XMP, and i have a ryzen 2600x on a gigabyte b450m-ds3h

Starcruiser

Honorable
Second generation ryzen officially only supports up to 2933 MHz. Unofficially, 3200 usually works but occasionally you'll have issues.

Try setting the ram to a profile with 2933 if it has one. The correct reading in cpu-z for that speed is 1466.

Changing timings isn't going to change anything in real performance. It's mostly done by extreme overclockers and benchmarkers and the difference in real life is small enough to be written off as error margin. (maybe 1 FPS)

Starcruiser

Honorable
All Ryzen CPUs support RAM even 4000MHz+ , it's up to BIOS to set it properly.
There's many conflicting reports on this. I was basing my answer off of multiple sites saying the memory controller in the Ryzen 2000 series goes up to 2933. Obviously, it can be overclocked higher. XMP can usually handle this, and that is the part that's up to the motherboard.

There's many conflicting reports on this. I was basing my answer off of multiple sites saying the memory controller in the Ryzen 2000 series goes up to 2933. Obviously, it can be overclocked higher. XMP can usually handle this, and that is the part that's up to the motherboard.
I'm basing it on personal experience, even my 1600x on a x370 MB I had at 3200MHz Cl12 although it's suppose to be only 2667 according to specs.