bandit385

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I recently built my first computer - Q9450 - P45 Asus P5Q deluxe - Mushkin 4 GB ram 5-4-4-12. How do I check the memory timings? I read somewhere that the default may be something different (5-5-5-18)? If it is dfferent, should I change it to 5-4-4-12?

Thanks!

I noticed the P5Q deluxe. Great. In your manual under 'BIOS'. Look for the section on memory timings or similar.

Also, you can download an install CPUZ and check what your timings are set to, but you can not 'set' the timings differently from CPUZ. You have to go in BIOS to adjust the memory timings. Instructions in MB manual

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

bandit385

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks for the info. My timing was set to auto 5-5-5-18. I went into BIOS and changed the DRAM timing control from Auto to Manual and 5-5-5-18 to 5-4-4-12. Anything else?

So the lower you set ANY RAM timing, the faster the response time will be. Goes for ALL RAM timings. RAM adjustments include Speed (data transfer rate), timings (which you set up) and voltage. I would check the Mushkin specifications and set the speed, timings and voltage to the advertised values. After you learn to tweak the BIOS a little more, you may want to make other adjustment to your system as needed. Glad to have helped out. :D