[SOLVED] Memory upgrade?

Jun 12, 2020
I have 6gb memory and in games it uses 5gb sometimes 5.7 at max and i wonder if i upgrade to more ram will it use more and get more performance?

Solution
Yeah like i said everyone i saw on youtube had good performance i will get the ram as soon as i can and see if it will work out ty for the advice and i will let you know about the performance

Cause sometimes when i play SCP:Secret laboratory a game that has minimum GPU to like gtx 1050 and i can still run it but it runs at like 5.8 gb consumption and if i try to open discord my pc just freezes for a good while
yeah the ram is the problem. You should get 2x4 and then try to add your older 1600Mhz 2x2 sticks in. Open CPU-Z and go to RAM, if it says "Dual Channel" then you dont have to throw the 2gb modules away. If it says single channel then just sell/throw because it will cause problems.
throw the 1333mhz 2gb module away...
Games are moving towards 8+GB of RAM usage. Currently the least you should have is 8gb so yes your 6GB RAM is a bottleneck that's making your system slower in most AAA titles. Get 2x8GB Ram OR remove the 2GB stick in your RAM and change to 4x4GB Ram.
I recommend 2x8 if you feel like upgrading to 32 later for some reason but both will work in dual channel.

If you 're strapped for cash just replace your 2gb RAM with a 4gb one.

Jun 12, 2020
Games are moving towards 8+GB of RAM usage. Currently the least you should have is 8gb so yes your 6GB RAM is a bottleneck that's making your system slower in most AAA titles. Get 2x8GB Ram OR remove the 2GB stick in your RAM and change to 4x4GB Ram.
I recommend 2x8 if you feel like upgrading to 32 later for some reason but both will work in dual channel.

If you 're strapped for cash just replace your 2gb RAM with a 4gb one.
Buying two of the same memory sticks and putting them in will work on dual channel ? Cause idk if it has to be like a dual channel kit cause they are more expensive

But i have 3x2gb sticks and 2 of them are 1600mhz and one is 1333mhz can i get like 2x4gb sticks and 2x2gb sticks will that work out?
I've seen people do this and they usually end up with problems. Sometimes it works fine other times it shows Single channel. If that doesn't happen then it's 150% Dual Channel, what happens is that you end up with a 2GB cap of Dual channel, so all your sticks will run at Dual until they are at 2gb and then run at single channel for the rest of it.
I recommend you just sell or throw away those 2gb modules. Switch to 2x4 and then later get 2x4 again for 16GB total.
You CAN try 2x2 + 2x4 and if it works for you that' great otherwise just 2x4 for now would be safer. Use CPU-Z to see if it says "Dual channel" or "Single channel", if it shows dual channel then it works for you. I cannot guarantee it man it's just too unpredictable.

Throw away that 1333mhz stic btw

Jun 12, 2020
I've seen people do this and they usually end up with problems. Sometimes it works fine other times it shows Single channel. If that doesn't happen then it's 150% Dual Channel, what happens is that you end up with a 2GB cap of Dual channel, so all your sticks will run at Dual until they are at 2gb and then run at single channel for the rest of it.
I recommend you just sell or throw away those 2gb modules. Switch to 2x4 and then later get 2x4 again for 16GB total.
You CAN try 2x2 + 2x4 and if it works for you that' great otherwise just 2x4 for now would be safer. Use CPU-Z to see if it says "Dual channel" or "Single channel", if it shows dual channel then it works for you. I cannot guarantee it man it's just too unpredictable.

Throw away that 1333mhz stic btw
So is it worth it discarding all of the sticks and get new 2x4gb sticks? and run at 1600 mhz? cause my performance in fortnite is not that good and on youtube i saw people running it very good i think the ram is a huge bottleneck right?

So is it worth it discarding all of the sticks and get new 2x4gb sticks? and run at 1600 mhz? cause my performance in fortnite is not that good and on youtube i saw people running it very good i think the ram is a huge bottleneck right?
Your performance in fortnite is definitely being bottlenecked by your RAM but if your CPU/GPU aren't good enough even if you get the right RAM you may not get the fps you want. Ofcourse if you've seen people with the same specs but the right ram running it just fine then yes, going for 2x4 should give you the performance you see.

Jun 12, 2020
Your performance in fortnite is definitely being bottlenecked by your RAM but if your CPU/GPU aren't good enough even if you get the right RAM you may not get the fps you want. Ofcourse if you've seen people with the same specs but the right ram running it just fine then yes, going for 2x4 should give you the performance you see.
Yeah like i said everyone i saw on youtube had good performance i will get the ram as soon as i can and see if it will work out ty for the advice and i will let you know about the performance

Cause sometimes when i play SCP:Secret laboratory a game that has minimum GPU to like gtx 1050 and i can still run it but it runs at like 5.8 gb consumption and if i try to open discord my pc just freezes for a good while

yeah the ram is the problem. You should get 2x4 and then try to add your older 1600Mhz 2x2 sticks in. Open CPU-Z and go to RAM, if it says "Dual Channel" then you dont have to throw the 2gb modules away. If it says single channel then just sell/throw because it will cause problems.
throw the 1333mhz 2gb module away tho that's useless

Solution
Jun 12, 2020
throw the 1333mhz 2gb module away tho that's useless
In cpu-z it sais dual channel even tho i have the 2x2gb 1600mhz sticks and 1x2gb 1333mhz stick how is that possible it is dual channel?

Jun 12, 2020
sometimes it works for people.
your ram is running at 1333mhz not 1600. when you put in ram like this, all sticks run at the lowest speed meaning your 1600 sticks are running at 1333 currently.
Which is better 8gb running dual channel or 12gb running single channel?
I just hope the 2x2gb and 2x4gb will work in my favor
If not i will still have dual channel 2x4gb so it's gonna be good anyway

But can i just get a 4 gb stick? Cause i'm kinda low on budget rn
Will it work ok?
not really man, you can get it but don't expect your ram to work in dual channel, maybe by dumb luck it'll work out. If you're low on budget I recommend saving up but if you cant wait then get 4gb now and pair with your current ram. Later get 4gb more and probably throw away your current ram(if it doesnt work in dual channel with your new ram)