saw4846

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
I am about to build a PC (gaming is the main priority) and in no way an expert. So a little enlightenment would be great.

I have decided on a mother board Asus P5N-E SLI (650i chipset) and processor Intel core 2 X6800 2.93GHZ (1066MHZ FSB). Actually I have everything but RAM and the case picked out.

No overclocking of any kind (if that has any bearing). Since this is my first time building a PC I really would like for it not to burst into flames, or create a mushroom cloud in my living room :lol: .

FYI, I did do a lot of reading on these forums and have found most answers I sought before asking a question, but I'm still uncertain about RAM. My thinking is 2GB DDR2 @ 1066MHZ (duel channel) RAM. Am I making the right choice or has a miss spent youth finally given way to senility?

Thank you for your kind assistance.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I am about to build a PC (gaming is the main priority) and in no way an expert. So a little enlightenment would be great.

I have decided on a mother board Asus P5N-E SLI (650i chipset) and processor Intel core 2 X6800 2.93GHZ (1066MHZ FSB). Actually I have everything but RAM and the case picked out.

No overclocking of any kind (if that has any bearing). Since this is my first time building a PC I really would like for it not to burst into flames, or create a mushroom cloud in my living room :lol: .

FYI, I did do a lot of reading on these forums and have found most answers I sought before asking a question, but I'm still uncertain about RAM. My thinking is 2GB DDR2 @ 1066MHZ (duel channel) RAM. Am I making the right choice or has a miss spent youth finally given way to senility?

Well, you only need DDR2-533 in order to get good performance out of a Core2Duo. You could go for DDR2-800, or DDR2-1066...but the added expense might not be worth it. As long as you run the RAM synchronously(1:1 FSB:DRAM), your golden....anything higher can be helpful (~5% in some apps), but expensive and more for the enthusiast/benchmarker. Definetely get 2GB(2x1GB sticks). Only you know how important those last few percentage points of performance are worth to you. One good thing about having the faster RAM, is that it's there...should you ever decide to try overclocking, and also..if you decide(down the road) to switch to the upcoming 333MHz Core2Duo processors. GL :)

saw4846

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007

Well, you only need DDR2-533 in order to get good performance out of a Core2Duo. You could go for DDR2-800, or DDR2-1066...but the added expense might not be worth it. As long as you run the RAM synchronously(1:1 FSB:DRAM), your golden....anything higher can be helpful (~5% in some apps), but expensive and more for the enthusiast/benchmarker. Definetely get 2GB(2x1GB sticks). Only you know how important those last few percentage points of performance are worth to you. One good thing about having the faster RAM, is that it's there...should you ever decide to try overclocking, and also..if you decide(down the road) to switch to the upcoming 333MHz Core2Duo processors. GL :)

If I understand your reply correctly then DDR2-667 (duel channel) would work for a possible processor upgrade to the 333Mhz Core2Duo as well.

Right?

Just trying to get my brain wrapped around the idea :) .

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

If I understand your reply correctly then DDR2-667 (duel channel) would work for a possible processor upgrade to the 333Mhz Core2Duo as well.

Right?

Just trying to get my brain wrapped around the idea :) .Yeppers. :wink:

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I would suggest a lower latency kit of PC6400 memory. This will allow OCing headroom for either a 266mhz or 333mhz FSB CPU and, will offer lower latencies which are desirable for gaming.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I am also looking at upgrading and getting the P5N-E SLI. Is there a way for me to find out if a certain set of rams will actually be compatable on this board?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I am also looking at upgrading and getting the P5N-E SLI. Is there a way for me to find out if a certain set of rams will actually be compatable on this board?
Well, for starters...there's the QVL(Qualified Vendor List) on ASUS' website. While the list isn't really very comprehensive...it's a start. If you don't find what you want in the list, then maybe start a thread in the Motherboard or Memory sections. GL :)

P5N-E SLI QVL

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Well, for starters...there's the QVL(Qualified Vendor List) on ASUS' website. While the list isn't really very comprehensive...it's a start. If you don't find what you want in the list, then maybe start a thread in the Motherboard or Memory sections. GL :)

P5N-E SLI QVL

hehe QVL list....Nobody ever found the memory they "WANT" on THAT list! :lol:

I find the memory that I WANT on the "ram modules with D9 chips" list!! :lol: