[SOLVED] Memtest errors

Apr 26, 2021
Hello, using memtest with 2 8gb sticks of ram. Was getting over 5k errors then a fail message with both the sticks in together. Tried then individually in each slot and they all ran several hours with no errors on either stick or either slot. Put then both back in and 5k errors within 2 minutes of running. Thought i would go ahead and send the ram back to gskill and get new ram. Tried the brand new ram and same thing. Fine individually per slot but as soon as i put in both sticks its 5k errors within 2 minutes. Any suggestions?

Solution
If this is intel, it is very easy to damage the cpu socket with unpredictable results.
Mostly ram issues.
Remove the processor and check the pins very carefully.
They are delicate and are easily damaged if you did not drop the processor in cleanly.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Do errors occur only in memtest?

You might try reinstalling memtest: there could be some bug or corruption in the testing app.

= = = =

Of particular interest is your motherboard.

Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be installed in a particular slot.

Also, did those two 8 GB RAM sticks come from a kit (2 x 8GB) matched for dual channel use?

The motherboard's User Guide/Manual should provide:

1) The supported RAM specifications

2) The supported physical RAM combinations/ installations

3) Some footnote or other instruction about visiting the motherboard's manufacturer's website for more up to date information about supported RAM.
Generally a reference to the QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

= = = =

Another thing you can do is look in Reliability History for RAM related errors. Could be quite a few of those so be sure to look at the details for more information.

Hopefully the problem just mismatched RAM sticks.

Apr 26, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Do errors occur only in memtest?

You might try reinstalling memtest: there could be some bug or corruption in the testing app.

= = = =

Of particular interest is your motherboard.

Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be installed in a particular slot.

Also, did those two 8 GB RAM sticks come from a kit (2 x 8GB) matched for dual channel use?

The motherboard's User Guide/Manual should provide:

1) The supported RAM specifications

2) The supported physical RAM combinations/ installations

3) Some footnote or other instruction about visiting the motherboard's manufacturer's website for more up to date information about supported RAM.
Generally a reference to the QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

= = = =

Another thing you can do is look in Reliability History for RAM related errors. Could be quite a few of those so be sure to look at the details for more information.

Hopefully the problem just mismatched RAM sticks.
They are brand new and from a set sent from g skill. I checked and they are on the QVL for that motherboard. Ill check the manual to see about the installation. EDIT* i checked the manula and it said nothing about installing to a certain spot first.

Ralston18

Titan
If possible try the RAM sticks in another known working computer.

Likewise try other known working RAM sticks in your computer.

Specs may be an issue but the general idea is to determine if the RAM problems stay with your computer or follow the RAM sticks.

If the latter then return the RAM sticks to seller.

Arthianne

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017
This is the only PC i have that runs DDR4. Its a brand new set from g skill. i sent the other set back for RMA and this is the new ones they sent. My MB only has 2 slots.
As stated above, try the memory in a known working motherboard and see if you still get the errors, and try working memory in your motherboard and see if the errors persist, if they do then you know your motherboards the issue, if you don't have a spare pc on hand you could always take it to a local bench tech shop and they'll test it for you, at least in the south west United States pc laptops will do it for free. Make sure your BIOS is up to date as well as your drivers.

EDIT: Also include your full system information in the post

If this is intel, it is very easy to damage the cpu socket with unpredictable results.
Mostly ram issues.
Remove the processor and check the pins very carefully.
They are delicate and are easily damaged if you did not drop the processor in cleanly.

Solution