Question Memtest reporting errors on two new RAM kits ?

William Sage

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
So I’ve bought memory kits from newegg based upon g.skills compatibility tool is it my understanding that I ran memtest86 on them and errors showed up so I bought another kit of ram and I seem to still be getting errors ?

Ryzen 7900x
ROG CROSSHAIR X670e Extreme
F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR DDR5-6000, 16x2, CL30-38-38-96 1.35
Currently have exp i enabled

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
trying to figure out what might be to blame apart from ram.

what are full specs of PC? What PSU?

is that a ram speed setting?
xmp? Asus call it DOCP

AEMP
Allows you to select your ASUS Enhanced Memory Profile (AEMP). Each profile has its own
DRAM frequency, timing and voltage.
page 18 - answering my own question about exp I
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket AM5/ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME/E20466_ROG_CROSSHAIR_X670E_Series_BIOS_manual_EM_WEB.pdf

try testing ram at default speeds.

Motherboard, Processor or PSU can also cause memtest errors.

Last edited:

William Sage

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
Sorry I ment to call it amd expo i

With the ram default set to auto on the sticks run at 4800 MHz, when I have AMD expo I just sticks run at their speed of 6000 MHz and and expo ii simply lowers the vaultage

All of these parts are less than a month old

Colif

Win 11 Master
That might a problem if you talk to Asus as they will want you to try ram they have tested
You might want to get ram that they have tested.
Generally if G Skill have checked the ram, that should be enough but its a new board and its possible bios updates would fix it, but generally not for ram they haven't tested

Those 3 tests are ram, I just thought I check as some of the tests include CPU

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wasn't counting anything out. I was waiting for other input :)

it could be motherboard or CPU
Shame no tests for motherboards.

could run Prime 95 but with ram already failing, I am unsure what it would show
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html
Prime 95 Instructions -
https://appuals.com/how-to-run-a-cpu-stress-test-using-prime95/

No, can't run Prime as the memory will fail it. You might need to get a repair store to look at it as its cheaper than throwing parts at the problem without knowing what cause is.

Have you taken CPU out to check for bent pins?

Last edited:
So I’ve bought memory kits from newegg based upon g.skills compatibility tool is it my understanding that I ran memtest86 on them and errors showed up so I bought another kit of ram and I seem to still be getting errors ?

Ryzen 7900x
ROG CROSSHAIR X670e Extreme
F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR DDR5-6000, 16x2, CL30-38-38-96 1.35
What bios version do you have?

Sep 10, 2022
Sorry I ment to call it amd expo i

With the ram default set to auto on the sticks run at 4800 MHz, when I have AMD expo I just sticks run at their speed of 6000 MHz and and expo ii simply lowers the vaultage

All of these parts are less than a month old

So, you ran it at 4800mhz default SPD or not? and you also mentioned voltage was lowered? to what level? because this module said needed 1.35v to run at 6000mhz, while 1.1v at default 4800mhz.

Ways to know (almost) for sure if it's sticks DOCP profile or bad hardware would be by TURNING OFF DOCP, do not overclock the ram, run it at SDP speed and voltage default which based on the website says 4800 @ 1.1v

If you already run the RAM at default SPD, and memtest still showing error, it's best assume you have defective CPU or Motherboard, or simply bad configuration (settings)

and, if running default SPD the memtest result come out clean, try running with "overclock profile", but reduce the speed, say to 5600mhz instead of 6000mhz, means 2800mhz couple mode (but keep the timings and voltage)

Last edited:

William Sage

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
So some update I ran the test with everything set to auto
aPi4wGE.jpg