[SOLVED] Memtest86 not recognizing my Ram speed/timings on test

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
I want to test my ram timings I am using. I have XMP off and manually tuned the Ram to 3800Mhz 16,16,16,16,32. Stock settings are for my card: Patriot Steel 4400Mhz for 19, 19,19,19, 39 timings. When I run the Memtest86 it measures the maximum speed my Mobo can handle which is 4366Mhz at the 19 timings. Not the tuned ram I have set in BIOS manually. Is there a way I can get Memtest to recognize my tuning? Couldn't find any in the settings. As its pretty pointless testing the ram and some arbitrary tuning im not using right? Or is this just a simple glitch in the program and it is measuring my tuning?

Solution
Use an older version of memtest that's found on most linux live cds. I've usually used this for ram testing and it matches real-world performance, ie a failure will cause a system crash, no failure no crashes.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Strange.
Instead of booting into Memtest86, what is your memory speed listed in CPU-Z when you boot into WIndows?

Its the memory tuning I set it at on CPUz i did check that too. Also looked in BIOS right after I cancelled the test its still what I set it at. Also the memtest86 is the latest version so pretty confused.

Hang on in test settings im looking at individual ram sticks and it says configured memory speed 3800 MT/s and maybe its recognizing the speed but just not calling it in test? Wow it shows a lot of detail on the ram like minimum CL timings and tRC and tRFC incidentally ive tuned the ram to 304 tRFC but it says lowest is 350.

Last edited:

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
If it it indeed booting at the correct speed, just let it run through at least one full pass. The last few tests of each pass stress the memory pretty well.
It failed on test 7 moving inversions 32 bit pattern and 6 errors on test 13 hammer test. All data errors for example test 7 Address:206DED300, Expected 10000000 Actual 10000100

took just over two hours.. Where do I go from here just slow timings down until I get no errors? on memtest website it says Hammertest is a very rare for ram to be put through this so its not that serious?

Last edited:

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Use an older version of memtest that's found on most linux live cds. I've usually used this for ram testing and it matches real-world performance, ie a failure will cause a system crash, no failure no crashes.
yeah i might try look for an older version. I reduced timing settings a bit and only get the odd hammer test errors which I can live with. Even before very first test I could run all benchmarks and game fine..

yeah i might try look for an older version. I reduced timing settings a bit and only get the odd hammer test errors which I can live with. Even before very first test I could run all benchmarks and game fine..
memtest when through some acquisions and whatnot and the new hammer test is designed to flip bits so it had some caveats in the docs. Hence why I just use the older version that worked and did the job. I really hate that people keep messing with stuff that works.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
memtest when through some acquisions and whatnot and the new hammer test is designed to flip bits so it had some caveats in the docs. Hence why I just use the older version that worked and did the job. I really hate that people keep messing with stuff that works.

Test did warn me my card might be vulnerable to hammer test