tonymarcus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Hello,

Is Memtest 86 suitable for running on laptop's ? considering that the memory has no heatsinks and there is no air flow through the case.

I bought an extra 512 MB from ebay and was a little suspect about the memory being genuine Samsung as advertised, with veiwing the SPD data in CPU ID the memory has no manufatur or part numbers programmed in.

Anyway I thought I'd test memory using Memtest 86, the first run it lasted 13 minutes then locked up with several thousand errors, the second run had no errors after 1.5 hours and one complete run, the 3rd locked up again after 13 minutes with 2 errors. The laptop runs fine and had not locked up at all, I opened 6 video clips and maxed out cpu and they ran for 2 hours without problems.

Is it a case that I've over stressed the laptop or is my memory faulty, to be honest the laptop is not used for anything intensive as it's about 3 years old so I might just see how it goes, if no lock up's then I'll ignore the errors.

thanks

Tony

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Memtest is fine to run on a laptop...

Try removing the installed ram and run memtest, if it was fine before your shouldnt get any errors. You should also try the suspected faulty RAM on its own and see what happens.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Samsung makes a lot of flash memory and you most likely bought a 512 Mb stick that came with a new Laptop and then it was upgraded. I just upgraded my sisters LT and it had 2 512's made by Samsung (but didn't register in CPUz) in there. ( she was pissed cause she thought her 1 gb stick she bought would give her 2 gb )