Question Memtest86 shows a ton of errors, but only if more than one RAM stick is installed ?

Diliglont

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
Hi, desperate owner of expensive computer parts here

I upgraded my computer a few months back, here is the list of parts:

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX AM5 rev 1.2
Corsair Vengeance 4 x16GB DDR5 6400 MT/S
MSI RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING X 8GB
2x Samsung 980 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
Seasonic FOCUX GX 750W 80 PLUS GOLD

The power supply and graphics card are 4 years old, everything else was bought in february this year
Exact part number for the RAM: CMK64GX5M4B6400C32

My problem is, the system is very unstable, I'm getting BSODs, games and apps freeze and/or crash randomly. An app or game freezing is usually quickly followed by a BSOD

I tested the RAM using Memtest86.

All 4 memory sticks pass the test individually
but as soon as I install more than one stick, memtest shows a ton of errors.
Running the test with all 4 sticks resulted in the test ending after 3 minutes because it hits 10 thousand errors.

What I want to know is, is this a RAM issue or a motherboard issue? I'd like to know before sending the motherboard to repair only to find out that it was alright all along.

Looking forward to your replies, thank you.

Diliglont

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
That RAM is optimized for Intel. Besides that, for the memory controller 4 sticks is a lot more difficult to run than 2 sticks. Advise: return the RAM and get 2x32GB with AMD EXPO profiles.
Oh my... since when is RAM optimized for one CPU or another? That's news to me..

As far as I know, 2x32 runs faster than 4x16, I just though it'll look cooler with all 4 slots occupied.

Could you point me to a kit that would work well? I looked some up on the local shops and found something that's also from corsair: Vengeance DDR5 2x32 AMD EXPO 6000Mhz CL40. I'm not sure but should I be looking at the CL40 part of it?