[SOLVED] Mesh or strong high-end router? Still using silly stock router/modem combo

unknown00

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
To begin with, i'm a techie, just don't know much about routers. I have gbit home connection but obviously not getting that speed around the house. Currently use the default modem/router combo (I know it sucks laugh at me) but it's been livable. I live in a ~3600sqft house and frankly not many dead spots.

I'm debating between a mesh router or just a super strong single individual router (like one of those beastly gaming Asus)

My priorities are 1. maximizing speed and 2. stable connections (I often get drop offs via mobile, computers are fine). Again not a lot of dead spots in my house. I don't mind spending ~$200 if it's good and can last years

Solution
You will not get a descent Mesh system for anywhere near $200 that will perform as well as a good AC router, like a Netgear R7000, along with either an Ethernet cable to a cheap N 2.4/5GHz router set up as an AP at the far end, or if a cable is impossible, then a pair of AV2-1000 or better powerline adapters with the distant adapter having a built in wireless AP like THIS Type.

A cable is always better, but sometimes not possible.

And if you already have an acceptable AC router all you need is the distant part.

HERE is a good site that uses rigorous testing for home networking gear with an emphasis on this sort of issue.

RealBeast

Titan
You will not get a descent Mesh system for anywhere near $200 that will perform as well as a good AC router, like a Netgear R7000, along with either an Ethernet cable to a cheap N 2.4/5GHz router set up as an AP at the far end, or if a cable is impossible, then a pair of AV2-1000 or better powerline adapters with the distant adapter having a built in wireless AP like THIS Type.

A cable is always better, but sometimes not possible.

And if you already have an acceptable AC router all you need is the distant part.

HERE is a good site that uses rigorous testing for home networking gear with an emphasis on this sort of issue.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
To begin with, i'm a techie, just don't know much about routers. I have gbit home connection but obviously not getting that speed around the house. Currently use the default modem/router combo (I know it sucks laugh at me) but it's been livable. I live in a ~3600sqft house and frankly not many dead spots.

I'm debating between a mesh router or just a super strong single individual router (like one of those beastly gaming Asus)

My priorities are 1. maximizing speed and 2. stable connections (I often get drop offs via mobile, computers are fine). Again not a lot of dead spots in my house. I don't mind spending ~$200 if it's good and can last years
Routers are limited in their transmit power by govt regulations. The coverage does not vary by huge amounts. Devices may be able to receive a high powered router but can't transmit back. Devices have much lower power than the router.
MULTIPLE WIFI sources, distributed throughout an area will provide the best coverage.

Those "BEAST" routers like the Asus and other companies with 50 antenna's sticking out of them will do absolutely nothing for you. Your phones and laptops mostly only have 2 antenna's for wifi, so your client device can only connect to 2 of those antenna's at a given time.

Your best bet for coverage is to use multiple access points in your house. If you have cable coax lines throughout the house, you can buy MOCA adapters to install access points with full gigabit speeds.

The ISP routers typically suck because they dont' have any type of QOS. If you're a streamer, having a good QOS really does help with lag. You seem to have a good internet package, so it might not matter much to you. But for people with lower upload speeds, a good QOS that uses an FQ_Codel based algorithm really does help.