Question Mic in headphones is not recognized ?

SmokyOni

Prominent
Jun 19, 2023
Personally built a computer recently and ran into a few immediate problems. But first and most important to me is the fact that with my Soundcore Q35 headset, Windows doesn't detect any input sounds or the fact it has a mic when using the wire instead of bluetooth.

I've tried every audio jack on the pc, front and rear, and nothing.

and, even if I do try bluetooth, I have to straight up smack/tap my fingers on the the ear cup's outer shell which the internal mic is in, to get even two little bars of green indicating it recognizes some input.

I've updated my drivers, Audio, graphics...
im on the latest windows 11 update...
And I have updated my MSI mobo to the latest bios (not in beta).

These headphones have no such problem on my iphone though, mind you! The mic isnt the best but still picks up my voice via bluetooth if i speak at a normal volume, but using the wire i could be whispering and it'd hear me clear as day.

Any help, anything i haven't already tried, would be great. thanks....

edit: Should note that I also even went back to windows 10 with everything still updated and it still doesn't work, so please don't blame windows 11! I know many dislike the (win11) os but it's not helpful

+ tried with a pair of apple earpods wired too, same story for those as well.

Last edited:
Solution
So according to what you are saying, the headphones support using the mic over a wired connection?
If so, then at that point the most likely reason I can take an educated guess at is that you are not using a combo jack on the computer and are using a regular headphone jack with only supports output not input.

You either need to use a combo jack (which isn't common on desktops especially custom builds with off the shelf parts) or get a USB device that gives you a combo jack to use, or, get a splitter that splits the combo into a headphone and mic cable for you to plug into the back of the motherboard into the headphone and mic ports.

HOWEVER!!!!
You also may not even be using the mic AT ALL on the iPhone when in wired mode, and the...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
So according to what you are saying, the headphones support using the mic over a wired connection?
If so, then at that point the most likely reason I can take an educated guess at is that you are not using a combo jack on the computer and are using a regular headphone jack with only supports output not input.

You either need to use a combo jack (which isn't common on desktops especially custom builds with off the shelf parts) or get a USB device that gives you a combo jack to use, or, get a splitter that splits the combo into a headphone and mic cable for you to plug into the back of the motherboard into the headphone and mic ports.

HOWEVER!!!!
You also may not even be using the mic AT ALL on the iPhone when in wired mode, and the reason I say that is because in most cases, headphones like these only support using the mic over blue tooth and when you connect with a cable you are in headphone mode only and you could very well be using the iPhone's built in mic instead. You can confrim if the cable itself is even a combo cable by checking to see if it has three black rings on the connector. Two fatter rings indicates left/right channels for audio (music and whatnot for headphone use) and a third smaller ring is for mic.
If no third ring the cable doesn't even support this let alone if the headphones do or not.
If you do have three rings, confirm if the iPhone is using the mic on the headphones by turning off blue tooth on your phone, connecting to the phone with the cable, and then doing a test with a friend over a phone call or whatever and tapping the headphones and tapping the iPhone to see which creates the noise and which doesn't.

Reactions: SmokyOni
Solution

SmokyOni

Prominent
Jun 19, 2023
Thank you! yes, you were correct with your first statement. I had continued searching for reasons afterward and purchased a female Trrs to two male Trs Y splitter cable, and it works wonderfully now. Of course, no controls on the apple earbuds though, since apparently apple has made their brand-unique version of CTIA connections which support the volume/control buttons. but mic works fine!