Question Mic Sensitivity help please

gibsonstu

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
Hi thanks for looking.
I game on my pc but i use the xbox app to chat to friends and family while im playing, as they play on xbox. I used to have my mic plugged into my xbox pad which was connected to my pc and it worked fine and the sensitivity was great it only picked me up when i talked, but i just bought a splitter and connected the 3.5mm jack to the splitter and into my pc. Its working fine, but for some reason when its connected to my PC its super sensitive. I can constantly see the light lighting up to show my mic is active and theyre all complaining about my mic always being on.
Google has literally no information about how to lower mic sensitivity on pc other than turning the level down, which does work but at the same time it makes me sound quieter to them.

Is there a way i can turn down only the sensitivity of the mic but leave the volume of it how it is? the headset is astro a10 just for reference.

Thanks in advance

Is there a reason why you no longer want to have the mic plugged into your Xbox? You can try and tweak the sensitivity uding windows Sound utility. Open control panel>>> Sound>>> Recording tab>>>Microphone Icon. Experiment with enhancements and ambient noise filter and other adjustments. Another tweak that sometimes works with sensitivity is turn the volume of the sound controller up and the microphone down (if it doesn't help, try it the other way).

gibsonstu

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
Is there a reason why you no longer want to have the mic plugged into your Xbox? You can try and tweak the sensitivity uding windows Sound utility. Open control panel>>> Sound>>> Recording tab>>>Microphone Icon. Experiment with enhancements and ambient noise filter and other adjustments. Another tweak that sometimes works with sensitivity is turn the volume of the sound controller up and the microphone down (if it doesn't help, try it the other way).

It wasnt plugged into my xbox it was into my xbox pad which was being used as a splitter of sorts, but the connector on it is being iffy keeps cutting out until i wiggle it etc, so i decided to put the pad away and plug the headset into my pc.
I looked where you said in the recording tab but i dont see any microphone icon? Just a list of my devices
Z7ISmJm.jpg

The recording device window shows you have two microphone drivers, the one with the green check is the one that is controlling the microphone that is plugged in. If you want to change the microphone driver, right click and disable the one with the green check, then right click the other and enable it (I don't know which one is working with your headset). Otherwise double click on either microphone device icon to configure it.

Last edited:

gibsonstu

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
The recording device window shows you have two microphone drivers, the one with the green check is the one that is controlling the microphone that is plugged in. If you want to change the microphone driver, right click and disable the one with the green check, then right click the other and enable it (I don't know which one is working with your headset). Otherwise double click on either microphone device icon to configure it.
ah yeah the green check is the correct one, and inside the config theres only the levels slider bar which does reduce sensitivity but also reduces my own voice's volume, so its working at 70/100 level but makes me a little too quiet where sometimes they cant hear me. i just want a way to reduce the sensitivity without it reducing my volume