Question Micro stutters in all games - AMD

Dec 28, 2022
Hello all. I need help. I don't understand how I'm having this problem all of a sudden, it's preventing me from having a normal time playing PC games. At first I thought it was Warzone 2 causing this problem but then I was having the same problem for another game, Unreal Tournament 4. I literally went out of my way to buy a new GPU to see if this would fix anything but I am still having the same problem!!! I did no Windows updates prior to this and no changes if I recall correctly. Everything has been normal till day 3-4 of installing Warzone 2. Then I find other games, not only Call of Duty, creating this skip problem.

There is nothing involved with the internet creating these micro-stutters as I have played a single-player game with bots and I find myself skipping from time to time.

I did notice in the past that I had Docker Desktop running, MongoDB, and Microsoft SQL running in the background, as well as VMMEM.exe on task manager as I went around looking for a solution. None of these are involved with the stuttering as I have taskkill those processes. ESET is not causing the stuttering. Windows telemetry isn't causing stuttering. I already used DDU to do a clean install of my GPU and have no luck.

Any suggestion would help. As far as a developer option as well to troubleshoot this problem. It came out of no where and can't figure why.

Things that I've tried
  • DDU, made stutters worse
  • buying new GPU
  • restarting router and modem
  • DISM and SFC checks
  • no other system restore point exists
  • windows update
  • page file sys manage by main hard drive and SDD hard drive
  • ended processes vmmem.exe, docker desktop, mongodb, and microsoft sql (still even with this on there, I didn't have those problems before)
  • disabled fTPM and then disabled security (neither option made a difference, apparently it is common in AMD microstutters as researched)
Specs
  • Fractal Design Meshify C - Dark TG FD-CA-MESH-C-BKO-TG Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX Power Supply
  • EVGA 600 BR 100-BR-0600-K1 600 W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Non-Modular Active PFC PFC SLI CrossFire Power Supply
  • XFX AMD Radeon RX 6600 (had the RX 570)
  • Windows 10
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor
  • Silicon Power DDR4 RAM 16GB (8GBx2) Turbine 3200MHz (PC4 25600) 288-pin CL16 1.35V UDIMM Desktop Memory Module (SP016GXLZU320BDA)
  • Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 32GB(2 x 16GB) 4000MHz Kit
  • LEVEN JS600 SSD 1TB 3D NAND SATA III Internal Solid State Drive - 6 Gb/s, 2.5 inch /7mm (0.28") - up to 560MB/s - Retail 1 Pack (Packaging May Vary)
  • WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS500G2B0B
  • MSI Arsenal Gaming AMD Ryzen 2ND and 3rd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 DVI HDMI Crossfire ATX Motherboard (B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II)

Last edited:
What speed is your RAM? The first gen Ryzen CPU that you have had more latency than more recent models and require at least 3200 speed DDR 4 RAM to get the most out of them. Even then they pale in comparison to more recent Ryzens.

If by chance you DO have 3200 or better RAM speed, an upgrade on the CPU might be in order. The 5600X is one of the most popular AMD CPUs in a fairly decent price range.

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-5600x/p/N82E16819113666?quicklink=true

What speed is your RAM? The first gen Ryzen CPU that you have had more latency than more recent models and require at least 3200 speed DDR 4 RAM to get the most out of them. Even then they pale in comparison to more recent Ryzens.

If by chance you DO have 3200 or better RAM speed, an upgrade on the CPU might be in order. The 5600X is one of the most popular AMD CPUs in a fairly decent price range.

not every first gens could run 3200mhz...but even at 2133, there should be no microstutter, unless it was comming from storage

Stuttering is caused by a temporary lack of a needed resource.
In your case, I think it is the cpu.
Consider an upgrade for a processor with a higher single thread performance.
Run cpu-Z bench and look at the single thread performance.
You should get a single thread performance rating of about 412:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/t2ju2b
The chart will tell you some of the ratings of other processors.

that is true, but blaming hardware isnt really solution, what about interrupt storm, will new CPU fix it? maybe it will, internal CPU latencies would be lower so it can hide them better, but there still would be some

and what about frame jitter, that can be perceived as frame skipping (microstuttering)

so, unless yure 100% possitive its caused by defective hardware, dont blame it then...

for OP, can you check what DPC and ISR latencies you have while gaming? better play in windowed/borderless mode to see it better, fullscreen can cause spike which would hide later monitoring
https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
download this, open game, then run latencymon, press green play buttonin it, switch to game and play for a bit...if you get microstutters, alt+tab back to latencymon and look if it find anything

not every first gens could run 3200mhz...but even at 2133, there should be no microstutter, unless it was comming from storage
It's well known the latency the 1st gen Ryzens had, especially when paired with low speed RAM, caused fluctuating frame rates and drops, which CAN cause stutter and even freezes. The fact that some older Ryzens at launch couldn't even handle 3200 speed RAM makes it even more clear what a mess AMD's Infinity Fabric design was back then.

IMO it took AMD FAR too long to make their Ryzen CPUs compatible with faster RAM, especially since their Infinity Fabric interconnects were tied to and therefore dependent on RAM speed for optimal performance, which is a stretch because there never was anything optimal about 1st gen Ryzens. May sound harsh, but true none the less.

Good points, but it should also be noted that considering the GPU he has, the 5600X competes admirably against other 5000 series Ryzens without costing too much, which is why I suggested it and why it's one of the most popular Ryzen CPUs. And as well, the Zen 3 processors improved quite a bit on latency and multithread performance, the latter of which is key for current games.

And here's an even better price on the Ryzen 5 5600X, and it's in stock.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1598377-REG/amd_100_100000065box_ryzen_5_5600x_3_7.html

I have bought from B&H Photo before and they are very good to do business with.

Last edited:
It's well known the latency the 1st gen Ryzens had, especially when paired with low sped RAM, caused fluctuating frame rates and drops, which CAN cause stutter and even freezes. The fact that some older Ryzens at launch couldn't even handle 3200 speed RAM makes it even more clear what a mess AMD's Infinity Fabric design was back then.

IMO it took AMD FAR too long to make their Ryzen CPUs compatible with faster RAM, especially since their Infinity Fabric interconnects were tied to and therefore dependent on RAM speed for optimal performance, which is a stretch because there never was anything optimal about 1st gen Ryzens. That may sound harsh, but true none the less.
ive had first gen which struggled with 3200mhz and i did run it at different ram clocks to see how infinity fabric speed impacts performance, there were zero microstutters even at 2133mhz (my ram base clock), there was some fps improvement and whole system experience was that it felt more responsive, but no diff in frametimes

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
ive had first gen which struggled with 3200mhz and i did run it at different ram clocks to see how infinity fabric speed impacts performance, there were zero microstutters even at 2133mhz (my ram base clock), there was some fps improvement and whole system experience was that it felt more responsive, but no diff in frametimes
So you bought 2133 RAM and expected it to perform as well as 3200 RAM with an OC that was likely too high for that speed RAM? :rolleyes:

I've seen FAR too many cases of stutter with 1st gen Ryzens to believe you had no stutter. It was literally THE most common complaint about systems built with those CPUs on forums when they launched.

Hello all. I need help. I don't understand how I'm having this problem all of a sudden, it's preventing me from having a normal time playing PC games. At first I thought it was Warzone 2 causing this problem but then I was having the same problem for another game, Unreal Tournament 4. I literally went out of my way to buy a new GPU to see if this would fix anything but I am still having the same problem!!! I did no Windows updates prior to this and no changes if I recall correctly. Everything has been normal till day 3-4 of installing Warzone 2. Then I find other games, not only Call of Duty, creating this skip problem.

There is nothing involved with the internet creating these micro-stutters as I have played a single-player game with bots and I find myself skipping from time to time.

I did notice in the past that I had Docker Desktop running, MongoDB, and Microsoft SQL running in the background, as well as VMMEM.exe on task manager as I went around looking for a solution. None of these are involved with the stuttering as I have taskkill those processes. ESET is not causing the stuttering. Windows telemetry isn't causing stuttering. I already used DDU to do a clean install of my GPU and have no luck.

Any suggestion would help. As far as a developer option as well to troubleshoot this problem. It came out of no where and can't figure why.

Things that I've tried
  • DDU, made stutters worse
  • buying new GPU
  • restarting router and modem
  • DISM and SFC checks
  • no other system restore point exists
  • windows update
  • page file sys manage by main hard drive and SDD hard drive
  • ended processes vmmem.exe, docker desktop, mongodb, and microsoft sql (still even with this on there, I didn't have those problems before)
  • disabled fTPM and then disabled security (neither option made a difference, apparently it is common in AMD microstutters as researched)
Specs

• XFX AMD Radeon RX 6600 (had the RX 570)
  • Windows 10
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor
  • 48 GB RAM
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk Motherboard
  • WD M.2 SDD 500GB and 1TB SDD

Hey there,

This sounds like it's related to the generally well covered Stuttering/fTPM bug for Ryzen. What bios are you running? It should be 7C02v3F . If it's not then update the bios, and clear the CMOS too. You can do this like so: How to clear the CMOS (msi.com)

Your ram combo seems way off. What DIMMS are you using, and what config did they come in. If they are 2 x 8gb kit, mixed with other random DIMMS to populate all 4 slots? List all DIMMS in kit or individually. This could be the issue also.

So you bought 2133 RAM and expected it to perform as well as 3200 RAM with an OC that was likely too high for that speed RAM? :rolleyes:

I've seen FAR too many cases of stutter with 1st gen Ryzens to believe you had no stutter. It was literally THE most common complaint about systems built with those CPUs on forums when they launched.
same ram runs now 3600cl16, can go 3733 with sligthly unstable infinity fabric

@kerberos_20 was only pointing out, that at default jedec base clock for DDR4 (2133mhz) that the system didn't stutter.
Yes I know, I can read, but if you expect me to believe 1st gen Ryzens don't have stutter problems like he seems to be insisting, especially after yourself targeting the CPU as the stutter problem, I'll have to assume your claims are as unbelievable as his.

Last edited:
Yes I know, I can read, but if you expect me to believe 1st gen Ryzens don't have stutter problems like he seems to be insisting, especially after yourself targeting the CPU as the stutter problem, I'll have to assume your claims are as unbelievable as his.
ive used it from 2017 to 2020, im not sayng there werent other issues, ssd dissapearing on sata5/6 ports, usb disconnecting, different bios version = different ram timings to have same bandwith/latency, hpet bug in 2018 which slowed down whole PC when CPU used more than 2cores....wasnt perfect start for sure....but agesa 1.2.0.7 is pretty stable

oh and almost forgot about this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8SXpGq1KSM

this is caused by steam client btw

Also, OP already stated he has 48GB RAM, which would have to be 4x16 GB, so your asking if he has 2x8GB kits makes no sense. I DO agree however that populating all 4 RAM slots can add latency to such a system, if that's part of what you were saying.

I'm not quite following you. I've only pointed out a known stuttering/fTPM bug introduced with AMD Agesa 1.2.0.3 Bios' up to Agesa 1.2.0.7. If you don't run the right bios, then this issue can be persistent, and find difficult to solve. This is a fact. Not come unbelievable assertion as you make out.

Similarly, I don't think @kerberos_20 , or I for that matter, are making unbelievable claims. Each of the things we've referenced are well researched and you can find multiple review highlighting same.

If, on the other hand you are suggesting @kerberos_20 claims about his ram running at 3600mhz etc etc, then that's separate. You can of course choose to challenge that claim, if it makes you feel easier. But his remark about 2133mhz @ jedec base timings is mostly likely proved accurate. That it doesn't suit your argument is not relevant.

Edit: I've a 1600x/Asus B350/GTX1060 6gb , which is running flawlessly. No stuttering. Possibly because as a Ryzen owner on any platform Zen1/2/3 etc, you must keep your bios up to date. I do.

I find it strange you both act like claims are valid when OP is obviously running a very strange RAM combo. I mean who puts 48GB of RAM on a dual channel MB? That would have to be a 2x16 GB and 2x8 GB kit, really absurd. This guy clearly doesn't even know how to build a system properly.

Not to mention that in the original post he didn't even bother mentioning RAM speed or timings. And how could using DDU make stutter worse, unless he doesn't even know how to use it? Don't blame a well known, reliable driver uninstaller for what are likely your own mistakes OP.

Pretty odd as well PSU was not even mentioned, as if it was an afterthought in the build process.

Last edited:
I find it strange you both act like claims are valid when OP is obviously running a very strange RAM combo. I mean who puts 48GB of RAM on a dual channel MB? That would have to be a 2x16 GB and 2x8 GB kit, really absurd. This guy clearly doesn't even know how to build a system properly. Not to mention that in the original post he didn't even bother mentioning RAM speed or timings.
if its still dual channel, then not relevant, BGS Alt would take care of it

I find it strange you both act like claims are valid when OP is obviously running a very strange RAM combo. I mean who puts 48GB of RAM on a dual channel MB? That would have to be a 2x16 GB and 2x8 GB kit, really absurd. This guy clearly doesn't even know how to build a system properly.

I pointed that out a few posts ago! And also mentioned it could be problematic.

Not to mention that in the original post he didn't even bother mentioning RAM speed or timings. And how could using DDU make stutter worse, unless he doesn't even know how to use it? Don't blame a well known, reliable driver uninstaller for what are likely your own mistakes OP.

We're trying to help the OP, not berate them for what we may deem a noob issue. There's no blame game, and no one is trying to say you are right or wrong, only that there are other things to consider too. Is that not a fair point?

edit: I would agree on one point - which is the mix of ram (as previsouly stated). Mixing ram is bound to cause issues. Both in terms of stability, and also speed. If they OP is running DIMMs at different speed, then the system will default to the lowest speed of all DIMMs installed. This could mean the ram is running at jedec default 2133mhz. This can impact performance majorly.

btw just found out that mine RX 6800 stutters without resizeable bar, with rebar on, no stutter

but im atm on holydays at parent house...so this benchmark was done before..so cant say if its one game issue or wide spread issue (like driver)

Dec 28, 2022
yea, they are the same

do you have single monitor or muliple monitors with mixed refresh rates?

Both monitors are the same refresh rates. 2x VG278QR ASUS Gaming Monitor 165Hz

The RAM I have is

Did not have microstutter 4 days ago. No hardware parts have been changed since then. Only GPU was changed out within the 4 day window. It was probably due a change anyways.

Sata or nvme?

if sata, go to device manager and check ide ata/atapi controllers there, it they using microsoft named drivers, ( standart ahci etc), then thats fine, if its using amd sata drivers, then uninstall those inluding deleting driver backups

It says "Standard SATA AHCI Controller". Should be good on that then.

My hard drives
  • LEVEN JS600 SSD 1TB 3D NAND SATA III Internal Solid State Drive - 6 Gb/s, 2.5 inch /7mm (0.28") - up to 560MB/s - Retail 1 Pack (Packaging May Vary)
  • WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS500G2B0B

I mean I can check this out and share my update but it wasn't a problem before...

that is true, but blaming hardware isnt really solution, what about interrupt storm, will new CPU fix it? maybe it will, internal CPU latencies would be lower so it can hide them better, but there still would be some

and what about frame jitter, that can be perceived as frame skipping (microstuttering)

so, unless yure 100% possitive its caused by defective hardware, dont blame it then...

for OP, can you check what DPC and ISR latencies you have while gaming? better play in windowed/borderless mode to see it better, fullscreen can cause spike which would hide later monitoring
https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
download this, open game, then run latencymon, press green play buttonin it, switch to game and play for a bit...if you get microstutters, alt+tab back to latencymon and look if it find anything

I will download this now and update the post for any changes. Wasn't home during the day.

It's well known the latency the 1st gen Ryzens had, especially when paired with low speed RAM, caused fluctuating frame rates and drops, which CAN cause stutter and even freezes. The fact that some older Ryzens at launch couldn't even handle 3200 speed RAM makes it even more clear what a mess AMD's Infinity Fabric design was back then.

IMO it took AMD FAR too long to make their Ryzen CPUs compatible with faster RAM, especially since their Infinity Fabric interconnects were tied to and therefore dependent on RAM speed for optimal performance, which is a stretch because there never was anything optimal about 1st gen Ryzens. May sound harsh, but true none the less.

Good points, but it should also be noted that considering the GPU he has, the 5600X competes admirably against other 5000 series Ryzens without costing too much, which is why I suggested it and why it's one of the most popular Ryzen CPUs. And as well, the Zen 3 processors improved quite a bit on latency and multithread performance, the latter of which is key for current games.

And here's an even better price on the Ryzen 5 5600X, and it's in stock.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1598377-REG/amd_100_100000065box_ryzen_5_5600x_3_7.html

I have bought from B&H Photo before and they are very good to do business with.
Although my CPU works fine, I may look into this other CPU. Good to know!

Hey there,

This sounds like it's related to the generally well covered Stuttering/fTPM bug for Ryzen. What bios are you running? It should be 7C02v3F . If it's not then update the bios, and clear the CMOS too. You can do this like so: How to clear the CMOS (msi.com)

Your ram combo seems way off. What DIMMS are you using, and what config did they come in. If they are 2 x 8gb kit, mixed with other random DIMMS to populate all 4 slots? List all DIMMS in kit or individually. This could be the issue also.
I don't know what bios I'm running. I don't recall the last time I updated my bios.... so that is what I will do now and update what changes I have.
RAM is
  • Silicon Power DDR4 RAM 16GB (8GBx2) Turbine 3200MHz (PC4 25600) 288-pin CL16 1.35V UDIMM Desktop Memory Module (SP016GXLZU320BDA)
DIMMA2 + DIMMB2 (Silicon Power), DIMMA1 + DIMMB1 (Viper)

ive used it from 2017 to 2020, im not sayng there werent other issues, ssd dissapearing on sata5/6 ports, usb disconnecting, different bios version = different ram timings to have same bandwith/latency, hpet bug in 2018 which slowed down whole PC when CPU used more than 2cores....wasnt perfect start for sure....but agesa 1.2.0.7 is pretty stable

oh and almost forgot about this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8SXpGq1KSM

this is caused by steam client btw

I'm not quite following you. I've only pointed out a known stuttering/fTPM bug introduced with AMD Agesa 1.2.0.3 Bios' up to Agesa 1.2.0.7. If you don't run the right bios, then this issue can be persistent, and find difficult to solve. This is a fact. Not come unbelievable assertion as you make out.

Similarly, I don't think @kerberos_20 , or I for that matter, are making unbelievable claims. Each of the things we've referenced are well researched and you can find multiple review highlighting same.

If, on the other hand you are suggesting @kerberos_20 claims about his ram running at 3600mhz etc etc, then that's separate. You can of course choose to challenge that claim, if it makes you feel easier. But his remark about 2133mhz @ jedec base timings is mostly likely proved accurate. That it doesn't suit your argument is not relevant.

Edit: I've a 1600x/Asus B350/GTX1060 6gb , which is running flawlessly. No stuttering. Possibly because as a Ryzen owner on any platform Zen1/2/3 etc, you must keep your bios up to date. I do.
And now I need to keep my bios up to date. Hopefully this attempt works...

Pretty odd as well PSU was not even mentioned, as if it was an afterthought in the build process.
I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy. This is the first PC I built since 2020... I don't ask for much from a computer, just run programs, have many tabs, create VMs, mobile emus like on Android Studio, deploy webapps, and play games. I got some ideas for parts on a simple price, built it and works fine. Just added more RAM and checked to see if it supports that type from the MSI B450 manual. I used DDU for what I needed to do, safe mode, clean uninstallation, and then install. There's a readme for it lol. I said it made my stutter worse because well, when you stutter at the most important situations during gameplay and your player dies from being in the wrong spot (i.e. one moment he's on a ledge then STUTTER happens to where you fall or parachute doesn't deploy because controls don't respond while in the stutter) THEN YES, it is worse.

I didn't mention PSU because I couldn't see the name of the brand or model number from the back. Had to go on my email inbox from 2020. So my PSU is
  • EVGA 600 BR 100-BR-0600-K1 600 W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Non-Modular Active PFC PFC SLI CrossFire Power Supply
I will need to update the original post though.

I pointed that out a few posts ago! And also mentioned it could be problematic.

We're trying to help the OP, not berate them for what we may deem a noob issue. There's no blame game, and no one is trying to say you are right or wrong, only that there are other things to consider too. Is that not a fair point?

edit: I would agree on one point - which is the mix of ram (as previsouly stated). Mixing ram is bound to cause issues. Both in terms of stability, and also speed. If they OP is running DIMMs at different speed, then the system will default to the lowest speed of all DIMMs installed. This could mean the ram is running at jedec default 2133mhz. This can impact performance majorly.

So should I take out the 2 x 16GB and try to use A-XMP OC MODE? Says the manual supports 1866/2133/2400/2667 (by jedec) and the others up to 3466mhz.

Last edited:
Both monitors are the same refresh rates. 2x VG278QR ASUS Gaming Monitor 165Hz

The RAM I have is

Did not have microstutter 4 days ago. No hardware parts have been changed since then. Only GPU was changed out within the 4 day window. It was probably due a change anyways.

It says "Standard SATA AHCI Controller". Should be good on that then.

My hard drives

I mean I can check this out and share my update but it wasn't a problem before...

I will download this now and update the post for any changes. Wasn't home during the day.

Although my CPU works fine, I may look into this other CPU. Good to know!

I don't know what bios I'm running. I don't recall the last time I updated my bios.... so that is what I will do now and update what changes I have.
RAM is
DIMMA2 + DIMMB2 (Silicon Power), DIMMA1 + DIMMB1 (Viper)

And now I need to keep my bios up to date. Hopefully this attempt works...

I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy. This is the first PC I built since 2020... I don't ask for much from a computer, just run programs, have many tabs, create VMs, mobile emus like on Android Studio, deploy webapps, and play games. I got some ideas for parts on a simple price, built it and works fine. Just added more RAM and checked to see if it supports that type from the MSI B450 manual. I used DDU for what I needed to do, safe mode, clean uninstallation, and then install. There's a readme for it lol. I said it made my stutter worse because well, when you stutter at the most important situations during gameplay and your player dies from being in the wrong spot (i.e. one moment he's on a ledge then STUTTER happens to where you fall or parachute doesn't deploy because controls don't respond while in the stutter) THEN YES, it is worse.

I didn't mention PSU because I couldn't see the name of the brand or model number from the back. Had to go on my email inbox from 2020. So my PSU is
I will need to update the original post though.

So should I take out the 2 x 16GB and try to use A-XMP OC MODE? Says the manual supports 1866/2133/2400/2667 (by jedec) and the others up to 3466mhz.

Try both kits separately and use AIDA 64 to measure the bandwith, throughput, and latency. Comapre the two sets and use which ever one is better. It gives better gaming results so is worth doing.

Dec 28, 2022
xkmoUVW.png

LJMdCIu.png

AdmNidX.png

JrQQWse.png

Is what I have from AIDA 64. I haven't tried the BIOS update yet since I don't have a USB stick to do it with. Microstutters still happening even with the RAM changes. Currently with the 16gb x 2 on. As I played, the conclusion seemed fine for LatMon but now i got this warning.

LhuUfSg.png

Last edited: