Question Microphone does not work as input device, but instead plays back any audio ?

Apr 1, 2023
Just the other day I discovered my microphone is not transmitting my voice.
After further inspection, I cannot get the mic in/mic in rear panel (pink) to work whatsoever. My headset's sound output is detected as a mic input.

I have tried reinstalling old realtek drivers (pre 2017), the most up-to-date one from the official website, the version provided on my motherboard's website, with no luck.
I also had a different headset (with a different adapter aswell) on hand, microphone still doesn not work (also tried front panel, still the same). I tried flipping every audio-related setting on and off, tick pretty much every box, switched to every single audio format in the "advanced" tab.

I have made no software/hardware changes in quite a while, so I have no clue why this happened out of nowhere. Even updated my windows as the many copy paste guides suggested to no avail.

Any suggestions on how I can regain use of my microphone?

Lutfij

Titan
Why are you having to install/reinstall drivers prior to 2017? Why not source drivers from your motherboard's support site?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? Include the make and model of your headset/mic/audio equipment as well.

Apr 1, 2023
Why are you having to install/reinstall drivers prior to 2017? Why not source drivers from your motherboard's support site?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? Include the make and model of your headset/mic/audio equipment as well.
I have installed old drivers that I had laying around on an external drive, because the most up to date version on realtek's site, and the one provided on my motherboards site does in fact, not work. I have not touched any of the drivers or windows prior to encountering the issue. I have done so multiple times after trying to fix it.
Either windows done something by itself, or just realtek <Mod Edit> the bed with some corruption and I can't get rid of it. I have used my current setup for quite a while without any audio issues.
I'm on win 10 22H2. Tested my headset with a laptop, mic works fine.

The issue is solely the software not using the mic in jack port as a microphone, it takes no input whatsoever, but instead plays back any sound played by the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know if this will help .... i have a headset with mike that USED to cancel speakers when i plugged them in then 1 day it did not happen. I looked at windows sound tabs and i noticed straight away that the layout had changed , you cant see all the sound options unless you scroll the tabs , it seems like windows had done an under the bonnet update. As soon as i found the correct icon for what sounds i wanted everything worked.

As well as a mike and speaker test ...... if you use games that cater for a headset they sometimes have their own test icons.

I also noticed that on some games if you plug in a headset AFTER you have launched the game they are not detected.