[SOLVED] Microphone not working on PC but works on phone?

Jun 30, 2021
Hi. I recently got a headset off of Amazon (the ZIUMIER Z20s). It came with a headphone/mic splitter cable, which I tried in both front and back mic ports. It shows up and also recognizes it as a microphone instead of just a "device".

When I try to test the mic though, it doesn't pick up my voice both in general and in different programs that I've tried like Zoom and Discord. My drivers all say that they're the latest version. However, my windows isn't updated all the way. Could that be the problem?

I tested the mic on my phone and it works perfectly fine! Is the splitter cable itself defective or is there something I'm doing wrong like the windows update or something?

Motherboard is a ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E if that helps any.

Solution
Your problem is the connector system, and there is an adapter for that.

Look closely at the tip of the jack on the end of your ZIUMIER Z20s headset. It has FOUR contacts: Tip, Ring1, Ring2, Sleeve. That is often used on Apple systems. Now look at the jack from some other earphone or headset that comes with TWO jacks on the end on a cable. Each of them has THREE contacts: Tip, Ring, and Sleeve - NO second Ring. That is the type used on non-Apple computers, and that is why they have on their front panel TWO sockets: a light green one for earphones only, and a light pink one for the mic only. You need an adapter like this...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your problem is the connector system, and there is an adapter for that.

Look closely at the tip of the jack on the end of your ZIUMIER Z20s headset. It has FOUR contacts: Tip, Ring1, Ring2, Sleeve. That is often used on Apple systems. Now look at the jack from some other earphone or headset that comes with TWO jacks on the end on a cable. Each of them has THREE contacts: Tip, Ring, and Sleeve - NO second Ring. That is the type used on non-Apple computers, and that is why they have on their front panel TWO sockets: a light green one for earphones only, and a light pink one for the mic only. You need an adapter like this

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Sp...953&sprefix=3.5mm+adapter,aps,195&sr=8-5&th=1

NOTE that its female socket has FOUR contacts inside to mate with the jack on your headset. It converts that to two jacks of THREE contacts each, with labels for earphone and mic jacks to fit into the sockets on the computer front.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
On the Amazon web page for that headset, the USB connection is noted for use "for lights". In other words, this does NOT include any USB-connected audio system. The USB is only to get power for the lights, which cannot be powered from an audio socket.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Okay didn't read that and it is insain.

It also says this,

[PC]: Our headset comes with an extra 1-to-2 connector cable and design for PC. Plug 1-to-2 3.5mm splitter cable into audio input and microphone input separately on the back of the host computer
which means he has an extra cable to make two from one so that the set can be used on pc.