I have a new desktop, running XP Pro. The motherboard is Gigabyte
GA-8191SP-DUO-Pro.
I am unable to receive sound through the microphone.
I have tested the system in Control Panel > Sounds & Audio > Voice and the
hardware test is successful, but no sound is received thru' the mic. I
notice that the Advanced tab is shaded.
I have tried using 2 separate microphones, both of which work on another
machine.
Incidentally, I found that when I went to Volume in Sounds & Audio I got the
message 'Cannot execute SndVol32.exe'. I then installed this file from the
XP CD and was then able to run 'Volume'.
Your advice on overcoming the problem would be appreciated.

"David Johnston" wrote:

> I have a new desktop, running XP Pro. The motherboard is Gigabyte
> GA-8191SP-DUO-Pro.
> I am unable to receive sound through the microphone.
> I have tested the system in Control Panel > Sounds & Audio > Voice and the
> hardware test is successful, but no sound is received thru' the mic. I
> notice that the Advanced tab is shaded.
> I have tried using 2 separate microphones, both of which work on another
> machine.
> Incidentally, I found that when I went to Volume in Sounds & Audio I got the
> message 'Cannot execute SndVol32.exe'. I then installed this file from the
> XP CD and was then able to run 'Volume'.
> Your advice on overcoming the problem would be appreciated.

Good work on installing SndVol32.exe.

But the problem is not with Windows, its either with your microphone (if
it's a USB mic) or your volume settings (if you have the "line-in" kind of
mic). In either case, go to Control Panel, Performance/Maintenance, System
Information. Then go to Hardware tab and click "device manager." For
repairing a USB mic, go to the USB section in the list and expand it by
clicking on the '+'. Your microphone should be listed. If not, install
drivers from your mic's cd. If so, double click the item and click
troubleshoot. If the troubleshooter can't find a solution (which usually
happens to me), go to the drivers tab in the properties dialogue and click
uninstall driver. Then re-install with your USB mic's driver CD.

If you have the "line-in" mic, then double click on the volume icon in the
taskbar (now that your volume utility is working). Adjust the volume for the
microphone and then test your sound hardware again. If that doesn't work then
I don't know what to do.

-Ken C.
New Delhi, India

Thanks for your response. However the mic is a standard mic which plugs into
the 'mic' socket (next to the speaker socket).
I have the volume set reasonably high and all other audio is heard clearly.
The driver is "C-Media Rear Panel Audio".
Is there any significance in the Advanced tab in Control Panel > Sounds &
Audio > Voice being shaded?

"nospamfromken" wrote in message
news:<2129F93C-5AA9-43C0-A37A-FD35D588A123@microsoft.com>... > > >
"David Johnston" wrote:
I have a new desktop, running XP Pro. The motherboard is Gigabyte
GA-8191SP-DUO-Pro.
I am unable to receive sound through the microphone.
I have tested the system in Control Panel > Sounds & Audio > Voice and the
hardware test is successful, but no sound is received thru' the mic.
I notice that the Advanced tab is shaded.
I have tried using 2 separate microphones, both of which work on another
machine.
Incidentally, I found that when I went to Volume in Sounds & Audio I got the
message 'Cannot execute SndVol32.exe'. I then installed this file from the
XP CD and was then able to run 'Volume'.
Your advice on overcoming the problem would be appreciated.

or your volume settings (if you have the "line-in" kind of > mic). In either
case, go to Control Panel, Performance/Maintenance, System > Information.
Then go to Hardware tab and click "device manager." For > repairing a USB
mic, go to the USB section in the list and expand it by > clicking on the
'+'.