Status
Not open for further replies.

seesingman

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Our old time string band is thinking of buying a LDC mic for live performances.
We have fiddle, banjo, guitar, mandolin, and sometimes an upright bass.
about half instrumentals, and half vocals. wondering if the Rode NT2-A (described as silky smooth sound, reminiscent of 1950's & 60's mics) might give us a warm vintage sound. Are there others that would work better for us?

Solution
Hi, I would be very wary of manufacturers claims, a lot is made of this "vintage warmth" these days, and that isn't necessarily true or desirable. One mans "vintage warmth" is another mans "dull and muddy" I have nothing against Rode mics, I've never used them myself, but a know people who have the NT2-A, and I get the impression, fromwhat they've told me that it has a high end sizzle, that's always apparent, and difficult to EQ out. However, I have used Audio Technica mics, and they are very good value for money, with no major frequency dips or peaks, just a nice, relativity uncolored sound, for the money. Even the cheaper AT3020 sounds good to my ears.
There is one thing that I've learnt about mics over the years, and that you get...

purplepatch

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Hi, I would be very wary of manufacturers claims, a lot is made of this "vintage warmth" these days, and that isn't necessarily true or desirable. One mans "vintage warmth" is another mans "dull and muddy" I have nothing against Rode mics, I've never used them myself, but a know people who have the NT2-A, and I get the impression, fromwhat they've told me that it has a high end sizzle, that's always apparent, and difficult to EQ out. However, I have used Audio Technica mics, and they are very good value for money, with no major frequency dips or peaks, just a nice, relativity uncolored sound, for the money. Even the cheaper AT3020 sounds good to my ears.
There is one thing that I've learnt about mics over the years, and that you get what you pay for, a Neumann M149 is an M149, people still buy them, if cheap mics sounded like they do then Neumann wouldn't sell any, simple as that. However, there are some cheap mics out there that are good value, like the AT range, also check out mic's by Sontronics (STC2) they are also very good value. My favorite cheap all purpose mic is still the Senheisser MK421, smooth, and sounds good on most things, from voice to a wide range of instruments, although that is a dynamic mic, but don't let that put you off. If possible, try before you buy, its the only way, otherwise you can end up wasting a lot of money, and most of all, never believe what manufacturers say, and only take other peoples views as a rough guide, it's you that's going to be using it in the end. If you are going to be using this for live recording I take it you'll want to record in stereo ? so factor that into the cost of buying your mics.

PP

Solution

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
mic is usually describe as muddy and dull, if the warmness of the sound, is pronouced very well, or doesnt cut through to other sounds.... the way it sound will depend on both the speaker and the mic, u play thorugh.

but as always you do want to always aim for warmth... as it is mroe cormfatable to listen to.

at the church where i sometimes to work back at the PA, the mic is connect to a yamaha sound desk, and plays through Mackie speakers. the mic is JBL

i have to say, the sound is nice warm, and if ever, you could always tweak a little with the equalizer.

Rode and neumann, im sure will have better mics then JBL, so who knows, plus you could check out sennheiser. it shoudnt erally be a prob. if u have it connected to a sounddesk.

seesingman

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
thanks for your advice. I have heard good things about Audio Technica, and have a 37 and another (can't remember the number off hand) that have worked well. I'll take another look and listen at the ATs.

Status
Not open for further replies.