Microsoft: 85% of Windows 8 Users Chose Desktop on Day 1

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phone_trouble

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
I ran it for a week, it kept crashing saying there was a problem and needed to restart.
I removed it and went back to XP.
I had plenty of horsepower, ram and space. It was difficult to use and with 8 to 10 crashes every day with no indication as to why. I gave it the boot. Waste of money.

suture

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
only 85%? thats surprisingly low! i bet those are using an Win8 non x86 version.
Bcause around 99.X% of the windows software requires the old desktop .. Just saying...
Well i use the music app, its kinda kool, everything else is kinda .. meh ..

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
You just got to know that when Microsoft has to go on such 'grasping at straws' tactics as actually pointing out that "...most of these users have discovered the advantages of using the new interface over the course of three weeks..." that basically tells you that things have gone awry with the whole Modern UI fiasco. Microsoft honestly doesn't seem to get how defending Metro is self-defeating. It's way too late to admit now that Modern UI is a failure for the home computer and business computer market, but they will fight it tooth and nail until Windows 9 rolls out at which point they will make it their marketing campaign to point out that Windows 9 has "fine tuned" all the flaws of Windows 8 - and we all know what those flaws are....we have been pointing them out to Microsoft all along.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]phone_trouble[/nom]I ran it for a week, it kept crashing saying there was a problem and needed to restart. I removed it and went back to XP.I had plenty of horsepower, ram and space. It was difficult to use and with 8 to 10 crashes every day with no indication as to why. I gave it the boot. Waste of money.[/citation]
I hate to double post but I'm sorry either you're lying or your machine sucks or you had something go really wrong with the installation. Say whatever you want about W8, and there's plenty to say, but one thing W8 is not is unstable. Maybe you need to get on the forums and get some help because you're definitely doing something wrong, or time for an upgrade. Horsepower is one thing, a modern system is another.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Looks like the folks at Apple are still smarter than those at MS. They retained separate OSes for desktops and hand-held devices. MS should have left the tile business to their phones and tablet systems and just issued SP2 on Win 7.

Would have been much smarter.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I think the metro display would work better with multiple LCD screens. I think that later on when we touch screens fall in price. It will make sense to use it in conjuction with the main screen.

I am all for getting things off the desk and on the screen.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
[citation][nom]Duckhunt[/nom]I think the metro display would work better with multiple LCD screens. I think that later on when we get touch screens fall in price. Or get them to become more mainstream the Win 8 interface will make more sense. It will make sense to use it in conjuction with the main screen. I am all for getting things off the desk and on the screen.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Duckhunt[/nom]when we get touch screens to fall in price. I think my keyboard can't keep up with my typing speed.dam typos.[/citation]

homiedontrightclick

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I have three PC's running Windows currently. Two of them run Win 7, and I just got a new laptop that runs Win 8. Whenever I go back to using 7, I get a little frustrated whenever I use 8 next. Its just so clunky. I really thought 7 was the best Windows OS and I hope that Microsoft will be able to mix up the old and the new platforms in the future. I agree with the notion that corporations are going to be less than happy with all of the distractions it provides. On the other hand, I think the interface is gorgeous and a huge step forward appearance wise.

G

What not a single person who is comparing W8 upotake to W7 uptake has mentioned is the HUGE discount being offered on W8 upgrade vs the same pricing for upgrades for W7 when it was launched. Given the massive discounts, and the fact that the bulk of decisions are made on price above all other considerations, W8 should have been WAY ahead of W7 at the same point in the release cycle regardless of all other factors (excuses) being bandied about for it's dismal performance.

Since that is not the case, I would humbly suggest that something is seriously wrong!

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I'm not a fan of how the Metro UI handles side by side windows. I'm also not a fan of having two desktops (Metro and standard). Will wait for SP1 to see if anything changes my mind.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]WTF is remote telemetry? I don't like my software phoning home and reporting my usage habits to big bro.[/citation]

It's not on by default. Lighten up francis.

mike chambers

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
[citation][nom]rickfromtexas[/nom]What's scariest of all is Microsoft monitoring what users are doing and hiding it behind the seemingly benign word telemetry.I don't about you guys but this just really creeps me out.[/citation]

It very visibly asks for your permission to send anonymous usage data back to Microsoft during the Windows 8 setup process.

The MAIN PROBLEM is THIS:

Until programs are re-written to actually work natively in the new Windows 8 Screen most programs simply kick you back into the regular desktop.

I don't use a SINGLE program that works with the new interface.

I like the CONCEPT but they just shoved it in everybody's face. I think it WILL work quite well for many users once programs use it natively.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Not wanting to quote for some reason...

"Whoever you heard that from is one of the people spreading malicious anti-Win 8 hype; and, believe me, there are many of the kind of people that will lie through their teeth in order to try to make Microsoft look bad (all the while saying they don't like the company because of the way it does business, as if lying about them is okay bit whatever Microsoft does isn't).

Win 8 has its user interface issues, but lack of a desktop mode isn't one of them."

Alternately, they're confused with the RT version, which does not have a desktop. The "pure tablet" Win8, basically.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
"She said that not only has it become home base for most users, but they're personalizing it, adding an average of 19 additional tiles to the set that already comes installed on the new UI system. "

Y'know, I use Ninite on a new system to add the basics. That adds FAR more than 19 tiles just on its own... and most of them I spend the next several minutes removing, as I don't need a Metro tile for a readme, an uninstaller, etc, etc, etc - all the stuff normally tucked away out of the way in a Start menu folder on 95-W7. (Note - main system does not run win8. This is in the previews as well as in a VM I keep handy for work. I'm still not a fan.)

Heck, I've had single programs add 5-10 just on their own.

shipandcarry

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]WTF is remote telemetry? I don't like my software phoning home and reporting my usage habits to big bro.[/citation]

Use a firewall then. Search for Comodo LITE, it has instructions on how to install a strong firewall without useless features in maximum security settings to prevent Microsoft from telemetring you.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
So non-tablet users are forced to pretend their PC is a tablet! It is punishing desktop users in favor of Tablet users. It is like desktop users dont count. Without forcing and bribing the big OEM's to offer only Win 8, I wonder how many people would opt to buy Win 8? Give consumers a choice already.

G

Download classic shell and get your start button back. After that Win8 becomes usable.

G

So, wait, how does Microsoft know how many tiles, on average, were added to the start page...? They seriously take the time to count how many tiles I add on my page, from their end? That is freakin' stalkerishly creepy. It's easy to understand why Government Agencies still use Windows XP or something. If Microsoft can see what you're doing with that amount of clarity, then so can a really good Chinese hacker. Chri'sake.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Hate to rehash old articles, but both Windows7 and Windows8 were available for a huge discount. Windows7 began a pre-order campaign several months before launch where you could pre-order for like $40 or $60....

Status
Not open for further replies.