Microsoft: 85% of Windows 8 Users Chose Desktop on Day 1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got sound working! Anyway, about the ui, I moved the 'desktop' tile to the 1st position, so holding enter goes straight to the desktop at login. I looked at the ui, and I see anything I install gets tacked onto the far right side of the UI tiles. Mousing just opens that right sidebar, when I intuitively expected it to scroll the tiles to see the new ones. I guess I'm not normal. Using a combination of mousing and arrow keys is how I guess some people will start using the thing, and feeling slow until they get better at it, or figure out how to move tiles around. The best thing I can say right now is I found a whicked theme for my Win8 testbox.

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
You will not see one employee at microsoft running win8 and they and they all shake their heads when questioned about it. Service pack one should be coming out fairly quick I would assume.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]342[/nom]You will not see one employee at microsoft running win8 and they and they all shake their heads when questioned about it. Service pack one should be coming out fairly quick I would assume.[/citation]

What th. . . I don't ev. . . ....

You can't seriously think that, can you?

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
QUOTE: "she also added that most of these users have discovered the advantages of using the new interface over the course of three weeks."
TRANSLATION: after 3 weeks of constantly being kicked off desktop back into the UI seemingly every time they try to do anything most users admit defeat, grudgingly give up trying to stay on the desktop, and try to make the best of a bad new UI.

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]What th. . . I don't ev. . . ....You can't seriously think that, can you?[/citation]
I don't think it I see it.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Now that NVIDIA have released beta drivers that have allowed WC3 to run as it should I will be upgrading later today (again).

Uninstalling the "apps" that take over desktop applications such as music, video etc puts an end to the kidnapping back to the metro interface issue.

Also I have three monitors on my main Rig and Win 8 has so much more potential when multiple monitors are in place. I put the metro UI on one dedicated screen and I have up all the icons I need on it such as computer and command prompt etc.

Win 8 has a lot of potential and those with multiple monitors are really going to get more out of it. My main concern is Aero not being available and the wallpaper on offer is not on par with what Win 7 offers.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I use it for testing at work. Meh... Won't upgrade till a game requires it and not before the first service pack. That rule has proven itself since Win98.

troger5troger5

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I am at a loss here with this article. How could you not choose the desktop vs the new ui? Every application that I own launches the desktop! When you close out of the application to does not return to the new ui, it says on the desktop until you tell the os to go back to the new ui. Whats the point of the new ui if its going to react this way? There should be an option to check on your app properties to return to start upon exit/run without desktop. With the way it is , its easier to launch from a shortcut from the desktop vs launch from the new ui, it pulls up the app and desktop, then you have to leave the desktop manually to launch something else from the new ui. This sucks in my opinion!

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
win8 sucks by design. they should have an option so the user can pick their primary UI, desktop UI or the modern one. if user choose desktop UI as the primary, modern UI still can be exist, but doesnt have to interfere in action. if user choose modern UI as the primary, they can force whatever they want to use the UI (even the desktop should be only show up as minimal as necessary)

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]ram1009[/nom]I'm confused. I heard that Microsoft completely removed the code for a desktop so that even aftermarket developers couldn't add it back as an option. If users have the option for a desktop and start button what's the gripe?[/citation]

Whoever you heard that from is one of the people spreading malicious anti-Win 8 hype; and, believe me, there are many of the kind of people that will lie through their teeth in order to try to make Microsoft look bad (all the while saying they don't like the company because of the way it does business, as if lying about them is okay bit whatever Microsoft does isn't).

Win 8 has its user interface issues, but lack of a desktop mode isn't one of them.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
85% off? I guess that might raise the possibility of an overhaul (for W9) - once again (it was reported in the past that most people didn't use th start menu in older OS).

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]I'll take GNOME3. It's free and every update doesnt cause a royal nightmare,that i paid for, none the less.[/citation]

Another person claiming Microsoft's products cause all kinds of problems, and what they use is perfect and never, ever fails in any way.

We don't believe it when Apple says it, and we don't believe it when Linux fanboys say it either.

brushrop03

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Metro should be an option. End of story.
This isn't going to make people want to go buy a damn Windows Phone.
I do like Metro on my Surface though.

G

Marcus52, after those yearly blue "updates", do you really think there will be any of the desktop remaining! Or will you just keep saying it ain't so M$ Joe, Say it ain't so, M$ Joe!

oregonerd

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
"I choose it because it's easier to use on a pc. Yes I'm familiar with it but it also makes more sense then pictures ment for touch screens. The prblem here is that MS is, as always, still out f touch with it's customers."

Hmm. Some thoughts here. I would choose the start button too. I ran 8 early in the beta trials in a VM on a 7 machine. It ran pretty snappy in a VM BTW. I develop content using multiple monitors. the 8 interface is not practical for me for my dev environment.

However from the average user's point of view, (this excludes you and I "developers"), using the Win8 interface makes more sense especially for touch interfaces. The average user wants to look at pics, view the internet, check email and socialize. This interface makes more sense for those users. The start button did not. Computers are fundamentally supposed to make life easier. For most users 8 interface makes much more sense.

So your comment "The prblem here is that MS is, as always, still out f touch with it's customers." is really just about you. I think 8 will be met with success once all the neigh-sayers shut up and give it some time. I read so many terrible reviews about 8. Note that some are recanting even now after using it for a month or so.

Hell I'm still running a Vista machine that I have never had trouble with (mainly because I waited for SP1) This is my mission critical work dev machine (Design engineering). Remember how bad Vista's reviews were?

I believe Microsoft is in fact thinking of the masses here. Getting in touch with the true users. Windows needed to "Start" over with the user interface. And this is a decent start.

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]I'll take GNOME3. It's free and every update doesnt cause a royal nightmare,that i paid for, none the less.[/citation]
I actually like Ubuntu Unity UI, it is allot like OS X.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Get over it. Every website you go to 'phones home' (your ISP tracks you at the very least) and every OS has done the same for years.[/citation]
and he should get over it why exactly?

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]rickfromtexas[/nom]What's scariest of all is Microsoft monitoring what users are doing and hiding it behind the seemingly benign word telemetry.I don't about you guys but this just really creeps me out.[/citation]
Let's be more accurate...

"85% of the Windows 8 customers we were able to spy on preferred the desktop" - Windows Spy Technician

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]Branden[/nom]QUOTE: "she also added that most of these users have discovered the advantages of using the new interface over the course of three weeks."TRANSLATION: after 3 weeks of constantly being kicked off desktop back into the UI seemingly every time they try to do anything most users admit defeat, grudgingly give up trying to stay on the desktop, and try to make the best of a bad new UI.[/citation]
Nicely summarized.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
[citation][nom]rickfromtexas[/nom]What's scariest of all is Microsoft monitoring what users are doing and hiding it behind the seemingly benign word telemetry.I don't about you guys but this just really creeps me out.[/citation]

You could block it with a hardware firewall.

What's more creepy is every tablet/laptop now having 1 or 2 cameras that can be remotely operated. And I don't think a single one has a slide-able shutter. Older laptops come with a slider for wifi, but new ones removed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.