Microsoft Accuses Google of Bypassing IE Privacy Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
2 problems here. Microsoft says its OK to bypass this stupid feature then goes out to attack Google for doing just that. More of a marketing pitch in my opinion. Next, Google defends itself when they are in the right as Microsoft said its OK. If they want to defend themselves, there are proper avenues to do this. They got lawyers for this exact reason. Makes for much more interesting news on Tom's.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]2 problems here. Microsoft says its OK to bypass this stupid feature then goes out to attack Google for doing just that. More of a marketing pitch in my opinion. Next, Google defends itself when they are in the right as Microsoft said its OK. If they want to defend themselves, there are proper avenues to do this. They got lawyers for this exact reason. Makes for much more interesting news on Tom's.[/citation]
So because Microsoft breaks privacy that makes it Ok for Google to do it as well?
There's an old saying - two wrongs don't make a right - no-one should be tracking you without permission

"People seem to forget that Google isn't a search company that happens to sell advertising; it is an advertising company that happens to have a pretty good search engine.

It doesn't matter if it's Google, Twitter, Yahoo, or The Atlantic. If you're using a service and you aren't paying for it, you're not the customer: you are the product. "

As said by TheAnonymouse in the comments on the page linked by jhansonxi a few posts above me.

Online privacy is a myth. Not that that's a good thing, it's really horrible, but we would be hard-pressed to change this. The hoops you need to jump through to be more or less truly private are ridiculous. Just as a start, get Firefox with No-Script and Add-Block, TOR and/or Advanced Onion Router, good firewall, and don't forget to set each thing up to be the most secure.

Then you need to deal with performance degradation just to get that semblance of privacy. What we've come to in the online world is disgusting.

There's also more that you can do, but you're faced with ever-increasing performance overhead. Of course, you could stick with basics like Firefox + No-Script+Add-Block and enjoy increased performance, but everything else is probably going to decrease performance.

Any other ideas?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Another view from the Atlantic Wire: It's Not Just Google: Everyone Tracks Everyone on the Internet[/citation]
Wait... people didn't know this? I figured out years ago that everyone will track everyone, it's human nature to want to know what others are doing and when you put that instinct combined with corporation sized power you get all this tracking and spying. I wonder how some people can stay so blind and think it doesn't happen at all.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So because Microsoft breaks privacy that makes it Ok for Google to do it as well?...There's an old saying - two wrongs don't make a right - no-one should be tracking you without permission[/citation]
You live on the wrong world if you want no tracking without permission :p

schwizer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I can imagine the internal conversations

High up Microsoft dude (HUMD) to his minions "Hey Minions!!! got anything we can slam google on?
Microsoft Minion "Hmmm, well, they got a bunk P3P cookie"
HUMD "Alright sweet!!!" /blog

High up Google Dude to his minions (HUGD) "Hey Minions!! MS is slamming our P3P cooki. WTF! are they right?"
Google Minions "Well sure, they told us we could! Plus, they're doin it too"
HUGD "Sweet!!!" /blog

HUMD to his Minions "Gdamnit Minions!!! why didn't you tell me this shit?!?"

Microsoft Minions "You didn't ask!! Stop acting like a teenager and let us do some useful work!!!"

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Microsoft says that we should use IE9 to have privacy protection. Bunch of Hypocrites.
They should release a patch for all IE browsers, not advertise ie9 features and bashing other products for they own benefit.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
No one should be surprised that Google is tracking people on the internet. Where do you think they get all those Petabytes of user data from.

No one should be surprised that Microsoft is tracking people on the internet. Where do you think they get all those Petabytes of user data from.

The only difference is that we know that Google is using it to sell advertising, build better products, and other nefarious evil things. We have no idea what Microsoft uses it for because, while they are eveil, it certainly isn't for building a better product.

EightyFour

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
"yo dawg i hurd yu leik circumventing privacy, so i put an NSA/CIA collaborative device in yo
ride so you can steal passwords while you google streetcar"

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
we love the internet.
we want it to be free.
if you dont want ads, and think google is going to analy probe you... start a pay for the internet foundation. make is so you have to pay money to every webpage you go to, and pay them for the bandwidth you use. go and do that... than lets also impose old email 10mb per account restrictions.

google funds websites by allowing ads, i dont care how they get the money.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]we love the internet.we want it to be free.if you dont want ads, and think google is going to analy probe you... start a pay for the internet foundation. make is so you have to pay money to every webpage you go to, and pay them for the bandwidth you use. go and do that... than lets also impose old email 10mb per account restrictions. google funds websites by allowing ads, i dont care how they get the money.[/citation]

Advertisements are okay when we aren't being watched constantly to supply us with more specialized advertisements. I have no problem with advertisements. The problem is that Google, Microsoft, Apple, the ISPs, etc. all steal private data (some of which can be used to identify you, most of it probably can't but still). The funny thing is that although some still deny it even though it's been proven time and time again that they do it by us geeks, we see more and more companies admitting that they have been stealing data from us for years.

I don't know for sure about you, but this worries me. Especially in light of the many hackers going into some of these companies and taking MBs and GBs of data, often posting it. How many times do we see thousands of people screwed over in some way because of credit card numbers and the like being leaked? Well, some of the data gathered may be able to be used to obtain such data, if it isn't already within the gathered data. I don't mind the ads too much, but I most certainly do mind the manner in which they are served. Especially since ads began using deplorable tricks to get you to click them, but that crap isn't not new anymore and has been going on for years.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]You live on the wrong world if you want no tracking without permission[/citation]
Most of the time I am lucky, if I am browsing at work behind our beefy corporate firewall

As a web designer, I'm inclined to believe this has more to do with IE's notoriously crappy interpretation of code than anything else.

I mean, make no mistake about it, Google has gotten to the point where it would anally probe its own mother if it could make a buck from it, but it's been doing the exact same kind of stuff as this for years. Do nothing evil, right.

Part of me wants to congratulate Google for finally joining the ranks of people who are sick of IE's buggy crap, and part of me wants to throw up on Google for being that way.

Oh well, I guess it's just Google being Google.

G

Microsoft is just qq'ing because their product sucks. People with a bit more knowledge about computerz and webz are more likely to install firefox/chrome on their pc's. It is just a few websites that doesn't allow you to do stuff if ur not using IE for that (e.g.: internet banking).

But this big corps are most likely to qq on the others if their product isn't the best or isn't selling as good as ... Microsoft won't starve if all people on earth don't use their web browser.

tj_the_first

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Most of the time I am lucky, if I am browsing at work behind our beefy corporate firewall[/citation]
...where your workplace tracks EVERY page you visit. :)

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Most of the time I am lucky, if I am browsing at work behind our beefy corporate firewall[/citation]

What do you think those corporates are doing to you with that beefy corporate firewall? Besides, how many times have we been shown just how impaired the security of most companies and such really is? Furthermore, a firewall doesn't need to stop all of this anyway, so you're probably just as vulnerable as the rest of us with or without that firewall.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Keep in mind, P3P is just a recommended standard, it is not a law. No company is required to practice it. So if google, facebook, or even microsoft don't use it, it does not mean that they are not following the required legal guide lines for protecting our privacy.

Microsoft is just using this, and the lack of public understanding of the topic in the good old FUD tactics they are so well known for. The public will see this message and assume that Google (and others) are not protecting their data, and that by not using P3P correctly they are not following legal guidelines, were the truth is legal protecting and P3P are not connected in any way.

maxwebb

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
the act of the owner of the site posting the 3rd-party code on their page (html, javascript, whatever), they have taken responsibility for SHARING THE SITE'S TRAFFIC INFORMATION with the 3rd-party... so... this actually has NOTHING to do with microsoft OR google. this is between the user and the accessed site's privacy policy that *should* be presented to the user prior to site usage to state that they share traffic information with entity x so the user is given the choice to share their surfing habits. unfortunately there is no law out there that i know of that requires a site to present the privacy policy to the user prior to accessing the site where potential 3rd-party code resides.

i've always thought about using this cheap method in a site's terms of service and privacy policy... "by accessing this site, you agree to pay the site owner no less than 1,000,000 of american dollars for every second the site is used." ... take a few selected users to court and see if tos and privacy policies actually hold up in a court of law as being 'legal' documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.