Microsoft Already Working on Surface RT/Pro 2, Surface Book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasticles

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I'm actually interested in getting the next upgraded surface if it comes with better specs + price. I'm a desktop guy all the way with neither a laptop or tablet, which I'm hoping the next iteration will fill both those gaps together.

G

as far as I know many of the "leaks" from MS_nerd have been proved to be deceits

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]Most of the people on this site are Gamers. This doesn't interest them.[/citation]
actually not... surf metro just aint all that interesting

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
No, it's just that this is all a bunch of rumor with no real sign of an authentic source.

That being said, it would not be surprising to find out that they are working on the next thing. Every company works on the next thing pretty much as soon as they finish with the first thing. That's how the product cycles works. Rarely do companies make something that is a one-off with no plans for it to continue.

All in all, this isn't much in the way of news.

I would love to see an updated Surface RT - it desperately need something better than a Tegra 3, since that is really the only thing holding back the existing RT OS.

The move to an 11.6" Surface with AMD may not necessarily be a great move. 11.6" screens tend to be overly wide (when in a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio, as is the case with almost all 11.6" screens these days) and not very moveable. Samsung has one out right now that I played with, and overall it doesn't seem to be the right form factor for documents/note-taking, as it's not wide enough when in portrait orientation. Additionally, AMD processors are nowhere near as power efficient as Intel CPUs (stems from the architecture, circuit design, and even the materials used in the chips). Most people expect about ~8 hours from a laptop/tablet these days, and I don't think AMD is going to get them there.

I'm not saying my opinion is an end-all-be-all, but in my eyes the Pro 2 moves this article outlines don't sound very logical.

besterino

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I call BS with respect to all comments whining that the tegra 3 is such a poor choice.

What the heck do you intend do with an ARM based tablet? I have heard of no app available for win RT, much less found one myself, which runs particular badly on the current surface. Sure, some things could be faster (i.e. starting some apps or switching between them) but I still need to see proof that this will work significantly better just by putting in a faster "cpu/gpu". Overall system repsone feels actually quite good.

I for one would trade in peak performance for run time without one thought lost on how fast something could have been in actually the rare occasion where I do need such computing power, if I can do what I usually want with a tablet e.g. for 1 hour longer.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Interesting. My dad played with my Surface and liked it but wanted the real x86 deal, so I showed him what was out there. The HP ENVY x2 looked the best but still with too many compromises. Conclusion: gen1 is nifty, but gen2 should be much better.

Hey Microsoft, this time around make sure the Surface does not lag when a user opens one program... yes your own program. I had Netbooks with an Atom and 1GB that did not lag when opening Word, Excel or Powerpoint. Come on.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I know more about the Surface Pro 2 now than I know about the Surface Pro's stylus. This is very frustrating. The product is coming out next month and this information is still being withheld.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I will buy 1 of each JUST to support the effort. Oh ya, and Apple flamers, once Surface 3 comes out, you can compare it to the Ipad 3, but not until then. I don't even have to look, and I would bet even the BRAND NEW OS version (because Windows started on x86) RT, beats the Ipad 1

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I would be very nervous about the future of Surface Tablets if Microsoft was not working on the next one.
I am very interested in this Surface Book idea. If its like the Microsoft Courier idea, then its something I am very interested in especially if it has an APU instead of an Intel.
From the sounds that Temash is making, its supposed to get a pretty low wattage compared to the current low power APU without a performance cost.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Surface Pro 2 is under development the same as Kinect 2, Xbox 720, iPad 4, Android "Lemon Drop" and Samsung Galaxy S5 - it is the nature of the tech business to have the next generation in the R&D lab when the previous generation is going out for sale

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Windows 8 is broken. I have had to use it for the last two months for WinRT development. Can't wait to get back to Windows 7.
Wait till the next version, they may have finished it by .then()
{
Release("Windows X");
};

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009

I don't think Windows 8 is "broken"... but I have an odd feeling that Microshaft is going to go the way of the Windows 8 store app API... which kinda frightens me and saddens my heart. :(

randomizer

Champion
Who didn't think that they'd be working on the next one already? I doubt the R&D department sit around twiddling their thumbs every day. There would be years between releases if new products only got started after the release of the previous version.

Status
Not open for further replies.