Microsoft and Intel Teaming Up, Plotting to Take Down Apple

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
The title of this article is really stupid. It insinuates that Microsoft and Intel are basically declaring war on Apple when all they are doing is trying to get some of the tablet marketshare for themselves and yes Apple happens to be a major player.
Sure I personally hate Apple but corporations base decisions on profit not feelings.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Frankly I think tablets are not a market worth diving into. Apple pwns that market due to marketing to people that will buy something if they think its "cool". I really don't think that market is worthwhile for MS and Intel. MS is not likely to take sales from Apple by beating them in the "cool" game. The MS product may be better than Apple and practical buyers may see a Windows 8 tablet as being a good choice, but this market isn't made up of practical buyers.

bigbaconeater

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Apple will bring itself down with all the hype, junk, and patent trolling it unleashes; and let us not forget its iJailing of its gullible fans.[/citation]
I really feel like you put good hard thought into this. I don't even use Apple products but I have no problem with them. You like everyone here who has given a thumbs up to an anti-Apple post seem to only read biased news. Clearly everyone ignores the OTHER companies "patent trolling" and there are very very strong microsoft "fanboys". Don't even go with the "they treat chinese labor like crap" argument.

http://election.democraticunderground.com/1002227098 this for other companies using foxconn.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402943,00.asp Read about the conditions. Not saying they are good, but they are better than other factories in china.

I don't even own an Apple product, but everyone is being violently biased

anamech

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
but this market isn't made up of practical buyers.

If you are not a practical buyer, then you are an idiot(Not saying that you are!) Just buying something because it's trending is useless!!!

I have an iPhone4, and I am happy with the iPhone, but I would much rather take a Galaxy tablet than an iPad, because it's more practical!!!
I am RELLY looking forward to seeing Windows 8 on tablets! I think thats gonna be the game changer!!!

Then again......Will it be able to play Crysis?!??

G

@ubercake

and in the past that may have been the case but now we got Google with their cloud OS (chrome) and their cloud apps, if an Apple demise does come to past it may not hurt MS all that much

halcyon

Splendid
Given the determination many assign to the MacTards and iSheep it doesn't seem that making a superior product will be enough. Some feel that was already done with the Transformer Prime.

G

Microsoft couldn't find there way even if you gave them a flood light in the dark. They don't fix the bugs anymore. They just calm the changes are design intent. Not listening to customers and producing products less productive is their fault - not there customers. It would not be best for my business and I hope the world tells Microsoft to GTH!

deck

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Uhhh, no you are sadly mistaken. People want a device that works......period. Tablet form factors do not work for general purpose OS's. People will buy these Windows 8 tablets and never change the OS because windows 8 will be properly designed to work on that type of device. Tablets are not new, Samsung and several other released tablets (Samsungs was called the Q1) with Windows XP on it. Windows XP ran ok but it was the worst user experience you could imagine. Almost completely unusable in that form factor. I owned 2 of them because I worked for a company that was working on an Application for Hotels using them as a mobile in room kiosk. Project got canned and I got a good deal on them then after I realized they where useless, I sold them on ebay for $700 each.Tablets should have a purpose built OS designed to work with that form factor without introducing any of the problems that PC's have to it. It needs to "JUST WORK". Windows 8 I think has a good chance of bridging the gap. But IOS has it nailed right now and Android is not far behind (I only say that because currently Android implementations are basically the phone OS put onto a tablet without tablet specific applications.)[/citation]

I believe it is you who are mistaken. People want choice. I believe what the previous post was getting at is that an x86 architecture provides that choice. And the two positions are not mutually exclusive. For noobs who don't know what they are doing and want a tablet that "just works" they can install Windows 8. For the technical crowd that want to tinker with their purchase, they can install whatever OS they want.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]deck[/nom]I believe it is you who are mistaken. People want choice. I believe what the previous post was getting at is that an x86 architecture provides that choice. And the two positions are not mutually exclusive. For noobs who don't know what they are doing and want a tablet that "just works" they can install Windows 8. For the technical crowd that want to tinker with their purchase, they can install whatever OS they want.[/citation]
Some people want choice, but with technology I think "Just works" is a higher priority for many people than choice. I think that may contribute to Apple's success is the sector. Android offers choice and for those that prefer that I'm sure it delivers all that they want. ...but I don't know any other single source that is doing is well as Apple, again, in the sector and I think it may have something to do with that "Just works" thing.

For me? If its cool tech and easy to do what I want to do with it then I'm in. So I was willing to give Android a shot both in the form of phones and tablets. ...but I've come full circle back to what many folks here call "iCrap" because it "Just works" for me. I don't miss my Razr/Razr Maxx at all but I constantly missed my iPhone when I had the Razr/Razr Maxx...I just didn't want to admit it to myself.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
The biggest threat I'm seeing from Microsoft is the built-in ability to run the tablet apps on a PC.
[citation][nom]kingius[/nom]Nonsense. Apple is one of Intel's largest customers. They do not want anything to happen to them.[/citation]Not on tablets.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
"If you build it they will come" so far only big name in the tablet and smartphone have been Apple, now with both Intel and Microsoft getting into the game people will notice and "they will come", I am kind of hesitant with Windows 8 but can't wait to get my hands on Windows 9 SP2 tablet.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]deck[/nom]I believe it is you who are mistaken. People want choice. I believe what the previous post was getting at is that an x86 architecture provides that choice. And the two positions are not mutually exclusive. For noobs who don't know what they are doing and want a tablet that "just works" they can install Windows 8. For the technical crowd that want to tinker with their purchase, they can install whatever OS they want.[/citation]

Your are thinking like a tech enthusiast. All these devices are consumer devices. Us tech enthusiasts make up around 5% of the total market and maybe 3% of that market would probably share your view. I am speaking from experiance.

Have you ever used a general purpose OS on a consumer device that is designed to be a information/media consumption device? Probably not, because when the products came out they BOMB'd so hard that the manufactures saw no way to save it. Apple came along with a slightly different approach. Make the OS fit the usage model and wrap an ecosystem around it. The concept then took off like a bat out of hell.

Again, Windows 8 will probably bridge the gap with what I have seen so far from the cosnumer Preview. I have also streamed it to my iPad with Splashtop. It should be fine as long as they can maintain smooth and responsive user interaction. All they would have to do is to solidify the ecosystem around the device and they could have a winner on their hands.

Again, there is no way to argu this. Choice or not, at the end of the day 100% of people out there want something that "Just Works". If you where given a choice to load Windows XP or Linux out there that where not designed to work on that form factor then you should immediatly go to your phone and start the timer. You won't make it a week before your looking at Wikis about how to restore it to the original OS that came with it or go to CyanogenMod to download a version of Android that will work on it.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
An x86 hybrid tablet / ultrabook sounds really enticing. With Windows 8 on it, you should be able to run all of your desktop software using the keyboard and touchpad/mouse and then switch it to the Metro UI and flip back the keyboard for use as a tablet. I'd be willing to drop $1000 on that as a laptop replacement as long as the specs were up to par (i.e. it can run all of my laptop software).

Ever since the tablet craze started I've been saying that they are useless for most tasks and are more of a gimmick than anything else, but a hybrid system would take the few things tablets are good at while not eliminating the more useful mouse/keyboard.

[citation][nom]kingius[/nom]Nonsense. Apple is one of Intel's largest customers. They do not want anything to happen to them.[/citation]
In the tablet and phone market, Apple does not use Intel and they have been threatening to make their own desktop chips as well, which already is much smaller than Windows market share.

Just like anything Apple does, it starts out selling fast because it's neat and shiny, then in a couple years ends up with 10-20% market share because people figure out it's a huge ripoff.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]capt_taco[/nom]Just like anything Apple does, it starts out selling fast because it's neat and shiny, then in a couple years ends up with 10-20% market share because people figure out it's a huge ripoff.[/citation]
Just like the iPod

G

Problem with Apple making their own desktop chip is they did this already. They teamed with Motorola and IBM for the PowerPC and it was a failure after initial success. Now that Intel has a 2 year lead in manufacturing, Apple actually has little room to start making their own PC processors. They can go the way of Qaulcomm and start clocking up ARM CPUs, but they would be back to 1996 as far as CPU performance and features (32-bit CPU). Like it or not, they realize they are stuck with Intel for the forseable future. Maybe in the next decade, they can move away from the platform, but I seriously doubt they want to move away from Intel. In fact, Apple has talked about using ATOM type CPUs in their products in the future (maybe a 14nm out of order execution ATOM).

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]BunnyBug[/nom]Problem with Apple making their own desktop chip is they did this already. They teamed with Motorola and IBM for the PowerPC and it was a failure after initial success. Now that Intel has a 2 year lead in manufacturing, Apple actually has little room to start making their own PC processors. They can go the way of Qaulcomm and start clocking up ARM CPUs, but they would be back to 1996 as far as CPU performance and features (32-bit CPU). Like it or not, they realize they are stuck with Intel for the forseable future. Maybe in the next decade, they can move away from the platform, but I seriously doubt they want to move away from Intel. In fact, Apple has talked about using ATOM type CPUs in their products in the future (maybe a 14nm out of order execution ATOM).[/citation]

Thank you for this AMD, you let Intel have you...and boy are they having you.

Apple does not look at it from a performance standpoint. At least I don't believe they do. They don't need to perform as well as Wintel systems. They just need to look pretty and have a good user experience. Desktop computers are fast enough today, that losing some performance won't be noticed by most people, except us gamers and some professional types. Having a unique CPU can prevent people from comparing specs, helping them hide the cost disparity between PC's and Mac's.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Apple does not look at it from a performance standpoint. At least I don't believe they do. They don't need to perform as well as Wintel systems. They just need to look pretty and have a good user experience. Desktop computers are fast enough today, that losing some performance won't be noticed by most people, except us gamers and some professional types. Having a unique CPU can prevent people from comparing specs, helping them hide the cost disparity between PC's and Mac's.[/citation]
I'm curious as how you came to your assessment of Apple's strategy. Few people would say a MacBook Pro or a Mac Pro look pretty (or are nice looking) but they perform amazingly well. This conflicts with your assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.